What are you doing today?

I did some truly outstanding work (if I may say so) in the "Trolling Scammers" line. Kept the person rolling for several hours, gradually ramping up the silliness factor until it seemed like the conversation had gone about as far as it wanted to go.

Currently smoking a leg of lamb for supper.

Ooohhh, I love trolling scammers! Which scam was s/he trying to pull? The "your card has been charged $1000 dollars" one, or maybe Microsoft tech support, Amazon scam, "I'm your grandson and I need bail money"?

My folks still had a landline with the same number for donkeys years. Made it onto the scammer list a long time ago and received tons of scam calls. Luckily they didn't fall for them and would just say "No thank you" and hang up. But the lists get sold round the different scam operations, so despite never falling for it (and I kept them up to date on new scams, warned them about not sharing info etc), they still just kept getting calls. 4-5 times per week was pretty normal. They didn't want to change their phone number and weren't really phased.

But I know someone who's a scam-baiter, studied computer science so can deal with the internet scams, can use a virtual machine of his computer so he can lure them into running the whole scam without risking his real computer, and show people how these scam operations work. Can also use the scammer wanting access to his PC against them, by letting them connect, then sending them a virus. All the tech stuff is way over my head, but it's impressive. I've also seen a lot of scambaiting videos - Kitboga, Jim Browning and Hoax Hotel have to be the best! (YT channels, for anyone curious!).

But once I was spending a lot of time here caring for folks then moved back in as they needed more help, I'd usually be the one grabbing the phone, and sometimes waste their time by playing along, if I had the time and inclination. They expect old people, so I just acted an old lady voice and played old and confused, let them run through their scripts and think they might have landed some prey, until eventually reverting to my usual voice and revealing I'm well aware that it's a scam. Sometimes ask them if they ever feel guilty, making a living lying and stealing from vulnerable elderly people. Most hang up quickly to call the next number, but a lot of them hate that they're the ones who were fooled and get very angry. Their tactics can be so aggressive and vile, too.

I was only doing it for the kick of it at first. But mum had declining memory and age related cognitive decline in her final years. Used to be sharp as a tack, and would never entertain a scammer. But one day she called my name, sounding alarmed and upset and I found her white as a sheet, telling me her card had been charged hundreds of pounds on Amazon for a computer and watch, and they were asking her if she wanted a refund.

It was a typical refund scam, she'd called me because it had really frightened her, and she wanted me to handle it, I covered the handset and whispered to her it was a just another scam. Put on my polite phone voice and asked him what this was about, made him go through his script all over again, and yes, typical "amazon" refund scam. So tried to comfort mum while pointing out the holes in his logic where she could hear me and calm her down. He was a particularly nasty one. I went in another room and lit into him about being a scammer. Absolutely furious, because she was genuinely really shaken, and they do. not. care. In fact, that helps them exploit victims. When they're elderly, confused, and easily coaxed, bullied and tricked into giving scammers access to a computer.

So as often as I could after that, I'd play along and waste as much of their time as I could, enjoyed the ones who still stayed on the phone to trade insults once I revealed I was just toying with them, and they wouldn't be getting money from us. Most have no guilt or shame. The scam calls kept up for a while after parents passed, until the last one, who was doing a typical tech support scam, I scam-baited him for a while, he was furious and we cussed each other out in Hindi and English, and he started bombarding the house with calls 5-6 times a day for a few days.

By day 2-3 of this I switched it up and started being nice to him. Thanking him for calling to check up on me, I've just been doing some gardening, how has your day been, George?" (the fake scam name he gave). Threw him a little, but it make him laugh after a couple of times of acting like he was an old friend, wasting his time more by blathering on about my (fake, wild and weird) day, and treating him like on old friend calling for a catch up. Worked so well that he tried switching it up to a romance scam instead. Either that, or I'm so good, I made a scammer fall in love with me. ;)

Haven't had a scam call since even though the landline's still connected.

@GaryE Remember Curious George the scammer? I know I posted about it here at the time.

Ooohhh, I love trolling scammers! Which scam was s/he trying to pull? The "your card has been charged $1000 dollars" one, or maybe Microsoft tech support, Amazon scam, "I'm your grandson and I need bail money"?

My folks still had a landline with the same number for donkeys years. Made it onto the scammer list a long time ago and received tons of scam calls. Luckily they didn't fall for them and would just say "No thank you" and hang up. But the lists get sold round the different scam operations, so despite never falling for it (and I kept them up to date on new scams, warned them about not sharing info etc), they still just kept getting calls. 4-5 times per week was pretty normal. They didn't want to change their phone number and weren't really phased.

But I know someone who's a scam-baiter, studied computer science so can deal with the internet scams, can use a virtual machine of his computer so he can lure them into running the whole scam without risking his real computer, and show people how these scam operations work. Can also use the scammer wanting access to his PC against them, by letting them connect, then sending them a virus. All the tech stuff is way over my head, but it's impressive. I've also seen a lot of scambaiting videos - Kitboga, Jim Browning and Hoax Hotel have to be the best! (YT channels, for anyone curious!).

But once I was spending a lot of time here caring for folks then moved back in as they needed more help, I'd usually be the one grabbing the phone, and sometimes waste their time by playing along, if I had the time and inclination. They expect old people, so I just acted an old lady voice and played old and confused, let them run through their scripts and think they might have landed some prey, until eventually reverting to my usual voice and revealing I'm well aware that it's a scam. Sometimes ask them if they ever feel guilty, making a living lying and stealing from vulnerable elderly people. Most hang up quickly to call the next number, but a lot of them hate that they're the ones who were fooled and get very angry. Their tactics can be so aggressive and vile, too.

I was only doing it for the kick of it at first. But mum had declining memory and age related cognitive decline in her final years. Used to be sharp as a tack, and would never entertain a scammer. But one day she called my name, sounding alarmed and upset and I found her white as a sheet, telling me her card had been charged hundreds of pounds on Amazon for a computer and watch, and they were asking her if she wanted a refund.

It was a typical refund scam, she'd called me because it had really frightened her, and she wanted me to handle it, I covered the handset and whispered to her it was a just another scam. Put on my polite phone voice and asked him what this was about, made him go through his script all over again, and yes, typical "amazon" refund scam. So tried to comfort mum while pointing out the holes in his logic where she could hear me and calm her down. He was a particularly nasty one. I went in another room and lit into him about being a scammer. Absolutely furious, because she was genuinely really shaken, and they do. not. care. In fact, that helps them exploit victims. When they're elderly, confused, and easily coaxed, bullied and tricked into giving scammers access to a computer.

So as often as I could after that, I'd play along and waste as much of their time as I could, enjoyed the ones who still stayed on the phone to trade insults once I revealed I was just toying with them, and they wouldn't be getting money from us. Most have no guilt or shame. The scam calls kept up for a while after parents passed, until the last one, who was doing a typical tech support scam, I scam-baited him for a while, he was furious and we cussed each other out in Hindi and English, and he started bombarding the house with calls 5-6 times a day for a few days.

By day 2-3 of this I switched it up and started being nice to him. Thanking him for calling to check up on me, I've just been doing some gardening, how has your day been, George?" (the fake scam name he gave). Threw him a little, but it make him laugh after a couple of times of acting like he was an old friend, wasting his time more by blathering on about my (fake, wild and weird) day, and treating him like on old friend calling for a catch up. Worked so well that he tried switching it up to a romance scam instead. Either that, or I'm so good, I made a scammer fall in love with me. ;)

Haven't had a scam call since even though the landline's still connected.

@GaryE Remember Curious George the scammer? I know I posted about it here at the time.
This was a weird one. A text that at first seemed like a legit wrong number, but they obviously wanted to keep the conversation going, asking me what line of work I was in (a friend that was over at the house suggested "feline audiology," which worked brilliantly), asking me to send pictures, not responding appropriately to my very silly answers to their questions...I'm not sure what they were after, but it was pretty obvious something was up. I had a little too much fun with it.

"feline audiology,"
:lol:

which worked brilliantly), asking me to send pictures, not responding appropriately to my very silly answers to their questions..

The first one was funny enough that I'd love to see screenshots of the whole convo! I know they're out there, but haven't come across or seen many text based scams yet. Much more familiar with the phone and email ones, that still make billions, mind.

How do you keep it lit ?
flame-thrower-leonardo-dicaprio.gif

I don't know how to do screenshots on my phone--I have deliberately not learned that sort of thing to avoid getting too addicted to the silly thing--but I'll try. Stand by...
Some phones have the feature to where you can hit the off and volume down buttons at the same time it allows you to take a screen shot.

Today? Having the scales fall from my eyes.

The book "Flowers for Algernon always resonated with me, long before I had a breakdown and ruined everything I'd worked so hard to build, and lost the ability to trust my own brain.

Now it's always held even more significance for me. I'm the narrator, after he has begun to lose his intelligence, declined and knows that further decline is inevitable, unpreventable, and that it cannot be changed.

I've often felt like that. Blamed depression, low-esteem, imposter syndrome. But sometimes the glimmers of hope, or of concepts and a different, more content life are truly the fruitless wishes and delusions.

Reality is telling me something new. Multiple sources of evidence that it's too little, too late, and hitting new mental, emotional, and practical limits that are telling me I've been fooling myself in attempting to re-build. The hopeless scrabble of a rat swimming in a barrel it cannot escape, but it can't swim forever.

I don't know yet what happens when I hit that limit. If I stop caring and become a different, much more aggressive and ruthless person, if something else happens that refutes current evidence in a concrete and solid way I can trust, not just empty platitudes and self-help psychobabble.

Or I accept what I am, what I have left to do, and face reality. I certainly do not intend to scrabble much longer. I'm too tired to keep swimming fruitlessly, it's been too damn long.

Caring for someone with a disability of any kind can be demoralizing, attempting to help them think rationally and make good decisions. i am fortunate, I am in a way an only child, despite having had 3 half sisters and 3 half brothers. I left the care of my parents to the children my parents cared about. Both parents have died. and my siblings will work things out for themselves. Doesn't make me uncaring. Makes me independent and self sufficient without being pulled under "water".

In the meantime I am no longer doing 50% water changes with Fort Worth water. I might not lose my clown pleco, they bump up chlorine in summer and don't warn us, the temp is too high, the pH is too high and I'm tired of killing fish

Last edited:
The girls got a Russian Blue cat from a shelter last weekend, so we've been trying to think of a Russian name for her. She's very silver and has a very serious, thoughtful looking face with bright yellow-green eyes; she looks just a bit other-worldly. (Russian Blues normally have weird faces)

I really wanted to name her either Dmitri, Vladimir, or Ivan Drago, but they think she needs a girl name. Honestly, I just call her "Cat," and I don't think the cat cares as long as she gets food, a warm human to lie upon, and a scratch on the ears once in a while. But ladies set store by such things. We tried Villa, the name of a forest spirit in Finno-Russian fairy tales, but that just didn't sing for the girls (even though the cat answered to it as much as to anything)

Current leading contender is Tatiana, which is fun to say and means "fairy queen" according to the "name your baby" websites. What do you think?

(Here's a terrible picture but it's the best I can do. She's being uncooperative. She's a cat.)
IMG_20240819_205156.jpg

Most reactions

Back