What are you doing today?

Awesome
What car is it?
Nonrunning 05 BMW 325ci convertible.
IMG_7344.JPG

Got the car :)
Gonna have to get it towed.
There are only three things involved in a car just cranking and firing.

1) Lack of fuel. Disconnect the fuel line and crank. If fuel comes out of the line this is likely not the issue. but is not a guarantee as the pressure could be too low. If you have a local shop that can help the fuel pressure should probably be 45-55 PSI but optimum would be 55-65 PSI as an average. I'm going to assume that the engine is either fuel injected or a throttle body, not a carburetor.

2) Spark. Pull a spark plug and ground then crank the engine. If there is no spark, or red/yellow spark, it could easily be the coil.

3) Oxygen: Remove the air filter and crank. I have literally seen air filters that are so blocked up that they cannot pass enough air to give the needed oxygen.

Unless there are actual mechanical issues such as a busted crank shaft or cam the above are it. Of course there ar other potential issues such as the computer module being fried.

Good luck! As to appearance that is one cool project car!

Nice looking car.
what the mileage? how much $$ did you gamble on it..might be worth it to have a mechanic do a scan with a professional scan tool to see what codes it brings up... If it has fuel, spark , and air, then might be a good idea to do a compression test. Also sometimes it could be a simple sensor failure.

Last edited:
Engines were simple pre-electronics. Now, nosomuch. I trustyou have a scan tool that works on that particular vehicle.

Luna was able to hunt and kill a Shrew today... She was very proud of herself
tombstone (5).png

Drove an hour to go to my surgery appointment, and when we were 5 minutes away I got a call saying we needed to reschedule cause the surgeon had to go to an emergency 😑

Drove an hour to go to my surgery appointment, and when we were 5 minutes away I got a call saying we needed to reschedule cause the surgeon had to go to an emergency 😑
Had similar happen several years ago when I drove 325 miles from Sheridan WY to Cheyenne WY for an eye appointment through the Veteran's Admin.. Got there and they had no clue as to why I was there. They even called the VA and couldn't get an answer. Got home and sure enough there was a message waiting letting me know that they had changed the scheduling. I still think they should have given me my 'travel pay' but they refused saying that the message was sent before the scheduled time and it was if one wants to be technical. The time stamp on the message showed it was sent when I was about 3 hours into the drive.

Still, all in all, I've made out with VA travel pay. For instance a few years before the above I had to drive from Sheridan to Casper to see an orthopedic surgeon. I had a little Dodge Neon at the time and my round trip gas cost was ~$60.00 USD. I got $160.00 USD travel pay.

I once made it to wearing the ugly gown, on a gurney about to go into surgery, when the surgeon started barfing. I thought she had seen my legs in that gown, but it turned out it was morning sickness and my cancelled operation was when she discovered she was pregnant.

I hope she had a lovely baby.

I once made it to wearing the ugly gown, on a gurney about to go into surgery, when the surgeon started barfing. I thought she had seen my legs in that gown, but it turned out it was morning sickness and my cancelled operation was when she discovered she was pregnant.

I hope she had a lovely baby.
That’s a crazy story!

That’s a crazy story!
I still haven't had the elective surgery, though I'm waiting for the call again. Later this Spring should be when. I had the cancellation, then experimental treatment, then Covid arrived and so did a serious illness in the family. By the time the dust had settled, I was living in a different province and dealing with different doctors. I was a guinea pig for a new treatment that has since become the standard one, and for a couple of years the doctors thought it would be the solution. Alas, while it has worked well, it'll be back to the gurney soon.
That should solve things.

This time the doctor can't be pregnant.

I spent a good chunk of my childhood in hospital, and was whapped back to life a few times - I only clearly remember one of the times, but there were several. Now, with research since then, a kid now in the same boat I was in would be fine. Since I was so sick though, I got to study my fishtanks and read my fish books a few times over. It got me started. I became healthy in my early teens but always had this minor problem left over. I'm looking forward to the repairs.

I still haven't had the elective surgery, though I'm waiting for the call again. Later this Spring should be when. I had the cancellation, then experimental treatment, then Covid arrived and so did a serious illness in the family. By the time the dust had settled, I was living in a different province and dealing with different doctors. I was a guinea pig for a new treatment that has since become the standard one, and for a couple of years the doctors thought it would be the solution. Alas, while it has worked well, it'll be back to the gurney soon.
That should solve things.

This time the doctor can't be pregnant.

I spent a good chunk of my childhood in hospital, and was whapped back to life a few times - I only clearly remember one of the times, but there were several. Now, with research since then, a kid now in the same boat I was in would be fine. Since I was so sick though, I got to study my fishtanks and read my fish books a few times over. It got me started. I became healthy in my early teens but always had this minor problem left over. I'm looking forward to the repairs.
Our moderators are covered with disability insurance. So be assured you will still get paid at your regular rate for as long as it takes to recover. We treat our moderators very well.

Most reactions

Back