What are you doing today?

It was amazing! Right now I still think it was worth the reaction from my sun allergy despite my entire body being covered in hives 🥲
I'm so glad its worth it and you are having a good time with Daniel!

I didn't know you have a sun allergy... I'm sorry
There were so many fish! I was absolutely geeking out
That sounds epic!! I would also be geeking out 😂

I'm so glad its worth it and you are having a good time with Daniel!

I didn't know you have a sun allergy... I'm sorry

That sounds epic!! I would also be geeking out 😂
I hardly talk abojt it because it’s managed with special sunscreen and I honestly thought I outgrew it, but right now with 90% of my body burned, front and back, and the burns covered in hives and welts, I know that I did NOT in fact outgrow it 😂

Got my rod and reel. Everything was going great until I accidentally snapped the side plate lock to get to the centrifugal brakes (my stupid fault)... But we took it to a fishing shop and they said they could definitely get that all fixed up!
So I won't be able to use it for a bit, but I'm super excited to get it back...
It's a Shimano SLX XT. Really nice reel.
The rod is an Abu Garcia Vengeance

I've been spending a lot of time on the fish, and am getting fry from the fish we caught in Gabon. I still have a long way to go to breed them all, but I am trying to breed them one at a time, slow and steady. I'm 3 for 10 so far, with 3 still too young to spawn. The Cichlids aren't cooperating yet, but the lampeyes and one of the Aphyosemions are. 2 of the 3 fish I've gotten fry from have no names. It's clear what Genus they are, but the species haven't been studied or named.

It's getting down towards freezing at night, the garden is dead, the puppy is a young dog now, and it's a good time to have fish to learn about.

I suddenly find myself looking at road maps for places that barely even have roads, and wondering what would be there if I got some like minded people together and spent a week going from point A to point B. I think @Rocky998 's new set up sounds cool, but I am going to buy myself a really good collecting net for fishing. I'll hang it on the fishroom wall to tempt me, and use it the next time I get a chance. I want to get back into central Africa at least one more time before I become too old.

I've been spending a lot of time on the fish, and am getting fry from the fish we caught in Gabon. I still have a long way to go to breed them all, but I am trying to breed them one at a time, slow and steady. I'm 3 for 10 so far, with 3 still too young to spawn. The Cichlids aren't cooperating yet, but the lampeyes and one of the Aphyosemions are. 2 of the 3 fish I've gotten fry from have no names. It's clear what Genus they are, but the species haven't been studied or named.

It's getting down towards freezing at night, the garden is dead, the puppy is a young dog now, and it's a good time to have fish to learn about.

I suddenly find myself looking at road maps for places that barely even have roads, and wondering what would be there if I got some like minded people together and spent a week going from point A to point B. I think @Rocky998 's new set up sounds cool, but I am going to buy myself a really good collecting net for fishing. I'll hang it on the fishroom wall to tempt me, and use it the next time I get a chance. I want to get back into central Africa at least one more time before I become too old.
It's always nice having some worthwhile projects. I'm about done hunting and school is well underway, so I'm starting to think about winter projects. I hope to get out and cut some wood next weekend for this winter's bow making projects.

On the aquarium front, I ordered a new inline pump to power the waterfall in the new setup. I was going to run it off a canister filter, but both of my canisters are leaking around the hose attachment swivels, and I don't feel inclined to take chances with them. I plan on putting in hardscape today; filling up tomorrow.

What am I doing you ask?
I'm promoting the Fish of the Month contest---that's what I'm doing.
We have 12 awesome entrants and only 3 votes separate the top 9 entries.
We need ALL MEMBERS to vote in this close contest to help decide a winner of FOTM.
So if you haven't yet voted, click on the following link to get teleported to the polling thread and then CAST YOUR VOTE.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW POLL

Last edited:
Gritted my teeth and went to Petco for some stuff; meal worms for my rope fish food for my cichlids and spray millet for my cockatiel.

Not feeding time for my cichlids yet but I'm trying a new food for them. Went with Bug Bites Cichlid Formula. I had been using Tetramin basic flakes but it was almost empty. I supplemented with Hikari Carnivore pellets. I'll still use the pellets as a treat but hope to go mainly with the Bug Bites.

My hand ended up a little sore from cutting up the spray millet for my stupid bird. I cut the sprigs in to about one inch chunks a bunch at a time and keep in a canister. He gets a scoop of seed mix and one chunk of millet per day. I can't just hang a full sprig as he will ignore his food dish and destroy the entire sprig in less than a day; it is like candy to a cockatiel. I cut a bunch at a time to fill the canister as seeds off the things tend to scatter when cutting so I do it a bunch at a time in my kitchen sink.

Other than that just watching college football... Wah!! Navy lost to Air Force. :(

Also sort of working on my dining table. I like what I've done but may get a decorative salt and pepper set to finish it off. The plates are pretty big and would only actually be used for a special occasion and I have two more of them. The rock looking thing between the two candles on the back of the table is exactly that, a rock. Actually it has an oil well on the bottom and is a two wick oil candle. The table itself is what is referred to as a bistro table and is taller than a normal dinette set which makes it fit better with the kitchen counter height. The base is dark cherry and it has black leather 'saddle' bench seats also with dark cherry bases. Going sort of decorative on the table as I really don't eat at the thing unless with company.

IMG_0277.JPG

Since I graduated, now the focus has been on the first steps of the master's program. Although is a little late to apply, why not try e-mailing potential mentors, anyway?

A few days ago, I made some updates on the video about my "shrimps":

The paradox is the following: the adult population is stagnant or falling, but I always see new nauplii being born... I should conduct a project related to this since the same was approved by a competition. Next week I will participate in an event as a presenter from my brine shrimp culture research stand (yes, another event).

Jaylack, when I was living in Florida, I usually gave these spray millets, in case for my father's cockatiels (I don't know if he still has them). What would be this millet, exactly? From what plant? I used the material accumulated on the cage liner as a substrate for my BSFL composts, and the larvae loved it. The substrate started to heat, improving the environment for the black soldier fly.

My ultra-low cost extreme tank (due to scarcity of brine shrimp, I used more tiny BSFL as live food today):
1697936778536.png

1697936849653.png

1697936859486.png

Today I saw this Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 7th generation. This is an extremely uncommon car here. When it was sold, it used to be costlier than its competitors, since the Ford Fusion, that has some tariff exemptions (believe me, Brazil has the highest tariff rate from the emerging economies) due to trade agreement between Brazil and Mexico, was less expensive and it sold much more.
1697936935444.png

jaylack, when I was living in Florida, I usually gave these spray millets, in case for my father's cockatiels (I don't know if he still has them). What would be this millet, exactly? From what plant? I used the material accumulated on the cage liner as a substrate for my BSFL composts, and the larvae loved it. The substrate started to heat, improving the environment for the black soldier fly.
Not sure that I understand the question. Spray Millet is spray millet but is also known as 'finger millet'. It is a grain that is highly nutritious and is lower in fat content than other grains which makes it very good for seed eating birds. Millet sprigs are still the millet grain but left on the stalk instead of harvested as would be a normal grain such as wheat.

Most reactions

Back