What are you doing today?

@WhistlingBadger
I'm looking at getting into baitcasting and getting a good setup off Facebook marketplace!
I've been doing a TOOOONNNN of research and feel kinda confident, lol, but idk if you have any good experience with baitcasting and was wondering if you had any tips...

@WhistlingBadger
I'm looking at getting into baitcasting and getting a good setup off Facebook marketplace!
I've been doing a TOOOONNNN of research and feel kinda confident, lol, but idk if you have any good experience with baitcasting and was wondering if you had any tips...
Nope, I'm the wrong guy to ask about that. Sorry. The only thing I can recommend is to buy good, solid, no-frills, entry level gear that gets good reviews for durability and versatility. Don't spend a ton of money on fancy features you might never use. You just want stuff that will get the job done and catch fish. Once you get well beyond the basics and develop your preferences, then you can intelligently start equipping yourself with more specialized stuff.

Nope, I'm the wrong guy to ask about that. Sorry. The only thing I can recommend is to buy good, solid, no-frills, entry level gear that gets good reviews for durability and versatility. Don't spend a ton of money on fancy features you might never use. You just want stuff that will get the job done and catch fish. Once you get well beyond the basics and develop your preferences, then you can intelligently start equipping yourself with more specialized stuff.
Ah ok... Will do!
I found this incredible deal on a Shimano SLX XT! I've heard that they can be used by people just getting into baitcasting. It's a very sturdy real as well and I've heard it's very smooth!

Ah ok... Will do!
I found this incredible deal on a Shimano SLX XT! I've heard that they can be used by people just getting into baitcasting. It's a very sturdy real as well and I've heard it's very smooth!
At first I was going to do an abu garcia max combo or something like that... But I was really unsure lol

Ah ok... Will do!
Oh, and it also comes WITH a rod that also gets nice reviews

@WhistlingBadger
Don't know about now but Pflueger used to make excellent bait casting reels.

When casting keep your thumb lightly on the line spool to avoid backlash. Backlash can make a real mess of a tangle.

Don't know about now but Pflueger used to make excellent bait casting reels.
I know that Pfluger makes really good spinning reels, although I didn't know they made baitcasters!
When casting keep your thumb lightly on the line spool to avoid backlash. Backlash can make a real mess of a tangle.
Yah! Thanks!
That's more for the older ones though, or ones with very bad braking systems or none at all from what I've heard. The newer ones you only need to feather near the end of the cast and then stop the spool once it hits the water. Or if you're really experienced with using your thumb and turn the brakes down, then you usually feather it the whole way

@WhistlingBadger
Hello Rocky. Are you talking about something similar to fly fishing? If not what exactly is bait casting?

10 Tanks (Now more)

I know that Pfluger makes really good spinning reels, although I didn't know they made baitcasters!

Yah! Thanks!
That's more for the older ones though, or ones with very bad braking systems or none at all from what I've heard. The newer ones you only need to feather near the end of the cast and then stop the spool once it hits the water. Or if you're really experienced with using your thumb and turn the brakes down, then you usually feather it the whole way
I've got two baitcasting setups.
Both were under a hundred new.
Both use kastking reels. IMO, those are some of the best entry-level bait casters you can get.

Hello Rocky. Are you talking about something similar to fly fishing? If not what exactly is bait casting?

10 Tanks (Now more)
They look like this!
1697547131978.png

Both use kastking reels. IMO, those are some of the best entry-level bait casters you can get.
Oh cool!
I guess I was aiming for high quality for my first baitcaster...
Kastking is q good brand. I have a spinning reel by them for my medium setup. It's a kastking centron. But I broke the drag clicker on it (my fault).
I saw a really good deal for a Shimano SLX XT baitcasting reel (I've heard very good things about it) with an abu garcia rod.
I just don't feel like a kastking would be as high quality as other ones out there and they may not be that sturdy. Or I'll get a ton of backlash with it them...

They look like this!
View attachment 328966

Oh cool!
Kastking is q good brand. I have a spinning reel by them for my medium setup. It's a kastking centron. But I broke the drag clicker on it (my fault).
I saw a really good deal for a Shimano SLX XT baitcasting reel (I've heard very good things about it) with an abu garcia rod.
I just don't feel like a kastking would be as high quality as other ones out there and they may not be that sturdy. Or I'll get a ton of backlash with it them...
At those price points with the kastkings, I might as well get the abu garcia max...

They look like this!
View attachment 328966

Oh cool!
You will get backlash with just about any reel. I would get a slightly cheaper one to start because you will backlash. Its just a fact. I would also recommend running mono to start. You will waste a lot of line as you learn the ropes. At least I did.

I just saw this post in a weekly update. It was great to see all the outdoors picture. I miss that stuff.
Spent most of the last two weeks here in Israel watching my kids (they don't have school), and hanging out in a bomb shelter.

Most reactions

Back