What are you doing today?

@Back in the fold
Check with your electric company. Some offer rebates if you buy an energy efficient model,
Yes , they do that here . The old fridge is 20 years old but it still works . SWMBO just wants an upgrade for whatever reason and I say let the old one die first . Both my daughters have bought new various appliances and both of them are disappointed in the quality . They say they don’t last near as long as the old ones . Especially washers and dryers .

Just finished cleaning out and redecorate the Ameca splendens tank. I totally forgot the weight of that tank once I tried to move it. It was heavier than I thought. But it's done...! But I'll get a new plant to put in.

Both my daughters have bought new various appliances and both of them are disappointed in the quality . They say they don’t last near as long as the old ones . Especially washers and dryers .
@Back in the fold
In my mancave, I have refrigerator from the 1950s. It still works great. I decorated it to resemble a coke machine.
IMG_2980.jpeg

Last edited:
@Back in the fold
In my mancave, I have refrigerator from the 1950s. It still works great. I decorated it to resemble a coke machine.
View attachment 325782
When I was living in a town for my undergraduate studies (on a kitnet... I don't know if this exists in the US), I was using a 1980s fridge, and the monster was loud sometimes, even when I was using earplugs for noise reduction. Anyway, I find your fridge cool.

This ad below is from Consul's fridges (1957) in Brazil, there were even fridges powered by kerosene.
1693178595799.png

There was a time when owning a fridge was a luxury thing in Brazil... in the 1960 census, only 11.09 % of the population owned fridges. Currently, practically every family has one fridge. The most popular brands are Electrolux, Brastemp, and Consul. Consul and Brastemp are Brazilian brands. During the 1950s there was more prominent industrialization in the Brazilian economy, also thanks to the import-substitution policy applied in Brazil (and developmentalism). In 1961, Douglass North came to Brazil and he later wrote works talking about the main challenges to Brazil's economic success. Okay, I'm sorry for extending this.

Today was a good day. Got up early, finished up a music video and caught up on correspondence while drinking really good tea. Had a good Bible study with the house church (there are only seven or eight of us, so discussions get pretty lively), had some lunch, did some water changes. Then the Badgerling and I headed out to the desert to explore a little spring that has more water than usual. Know what's more fun than catching frogs? Catching frogs in the middle of the desert where there really aren't supposed to be frogs.
frog.jpg

Then home and made supper. We're using up the last cuts of elk to make room in the freezer. This is elk sirloin tips and egg noodles with tequila lime sauce. Lime juice and cilantro together are magic. Add tequila, heavy cream and butter? Life-changing.
IMG_0535.jpg

The fridge saga continues......

The seller's website says to contact the manufacturer initially as they are the experts on their appliances, so our son did that. Then he phoned the seller and ended up in a conference call with him, the seller and the manufacturer.
Under distance selling rules, the seller has a right to have the appliance inspected before a refund or replacement can be issued. The manufacturer will send someone to inspect it on Friday - they can't come any sooner than that. They'll send a report to the seller within a couple of hours. If it can't be repaired and we need a replacement, if it's arranged on Friday, it'll arrive on Sunday. It could be later than that as the inspection could be any time until 6 pm and if it's late, the report won't land at the seller till Saturday, which would mean a week today for a new one.

This did have to happen when my husband's brother is visiting for a few days.

Uh oh... For what?
Brake light. Just a 3-minute stop. He looked at my license and told me to drive slowly, and that was it.
I've been pulled over 3 times in the past year. The first was a brake light; the second was accelerating too fast, and now the brake light again.

I don't get pulled over often, maybe three times in my life. But next time I do, if the cop askes me, "Do you know why I pulled you over?", I want to say, "Hmmm, could it be all the bodies in the trunk?"

I have a similar impulse when a checker at the store says, "Is this everything for you?" I always want to say, "Yeah, except all the things I stuffed in my pockets."

Fortunately I rarely act on these impulses. But they do keep me somewhat amused.

Most reactions

Back