What are you doing today?

Just consider yourself lucky that I wasn't one of your students. To put it mildly I was a bit disruptive. I mean what interest could I possibly have had in long division and multiplication tables when I was doing 2 and 3 variable algebraic equations when in the third grade. I was bored silly and they didn't have any real advanced programs back then.
Talk about polar opposites ! I was the kid that was either always looking out the window or trying to get the other kids laughing . My Dad was ecstatic if I ever brought home a “C” .

Just consider yourself lucky that I wasn't one of your students. To put it mildly I was a bit disruptive. I mean what interest could I possibly have had in long division and multiplication tables when I was doing 2 and 3 variable algebraic equations when in the third grade. I was bored silly and they didn't have any real advanced programs back then.
I do get a truly gifted kid once in a while, and quite a few that tend toward lazy. I miss a few, but we keep most of them interested and get them using their talents for the greater good. I think it's easier to do in music than in math.

I do get a truly gifted kid once in a while, and quite a few that tend toward lazy. I miss a few, but we keep most of them interested and get them using their talents for the greater good. I think it's easier to do in music than in math.
Oh, in ways, things are much better today. I was talking about in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

Shoot, My mother had me tested and I ended up in 1st grade early as to age. In my opinion this is one of the worst things a parent can do right along with skipping grades. This is from personal experience. Up until high school it wasn't a really big deal but school is not just academics; it is also teaching social interaction. Once other students started getting drivers licenses and cars I was too young to even think about it. This basically turned me into a social outcast. It is just not fair for a parent to do this to a child.

Now there ARE exceptions. A girl can easily get away with not driving when others are, especially if she is pretty. An example would be my niece or great niece... My sister's son's daughter. When she was of an age to be a junior in high school she was already a junior in college carrying a full load along with working as a model and volunteering at a no kill animal shelter. She never experienced the social outcast aspect as it is just different for a pretty girl, especially a pretty girl that is also very smart and has a drive that can't be beat. I have SO much respect for this young lady. One of her closest friends committed suicide which could have really messed with her head but she took action instead. Mostly just due to her the school system now has a crisis hot line and a trained crisis councilor available 24/7.

If any of the above sounds sexist or rings like sexual discrimination that is NOT the case. It is just plain fact that a guy is more susceptible to age issues when thrown into a group of people of a higher age than is the case with a gal.

Oh, in ways, things are much better today. I was talking about in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

Shoot, My mother had me tested and I ended up in 1st grade early as to age. In my opinion this is one of the worst things a parent can do right along with skipping grades. This is from personal experience. Up until high school it wasn't a really big deal but school is not just academics; it is also teaching social interaction. Once other students started getting drivers licenses and cars I was too young to even think about it. This basically turned me into a social outcast. It is just not fair for a parent to do this to a child.

Now there ARE exceptions. A girl can easily get away with not driving when others are, especially if she is pretty. An example would be my niece or great niece... My sister's son's daughter. When she was of an age to be a junior in high school she was already a junior in college carrying a full load along with working as a model and volunteering at a no kill animal shelter. She never experienced the social outcast aspect as it is just different for a pretty girl, especially a pretty girl that is also very smart and has a drive that can't be beat. I have SO much respect for this young lady. One of her closest friends committed suicide which could have really messed with her head but she took action instead. Mostly just due to her the school system now has a crisis hot line and a trained crisis councilor available 24/7.

If any of the above sounds sexist or rings like sexual discrimination that is NOT the case. It is just plain fact that a guy is more susceptible to age issues when thrown into a group of people of a higher age than is the case with a gal.
Nah, that doesn't sound sexist at all. School can be very difficult for boys, and the data back up that assertion. I think a lot of boys benefit from starting school a bit later rather than earlier.

Oh well, I guess you seem to have turned out OK. :)

My husband decided to have ice cream for dessert; he took it out of the freezer and it was very soft. The fridge thermometer said 10 deg C (should be between 2 and 4 deg C) and the freezer -2 deg C (should be -18 deg C)

A few hours fridge freezer research later, the new one is being delivered on Sunday. Of course the ones I wanted were out of stock with delivery mid-September at the earliest. This was the earliest delivery I could get for my third choice. Luckily we have a separate freezer which is now stuffed so full it's hard to pull the drawers out.

Went fishing at the pier after dinner and caught three mackeral actually had four on at once but one got off, thought the little rod was going to break at one stage :lol:

Went fishing at the pier after dinner and caught three mackeral actually had four on at once but one got off, thought the little rod was going to break at one stage :lol:
Are mackeral that big? I always thought of them as smaller fish but I'm not really up on my ocean fish.

Are mackeral that big? I always thought of them as smaller fish but I'm not really up on my ocean fish.
Recently had a guy show me pictures of his sea fishing adventures and some of the fish are BIG ! One thing he told me is that he has no more interest in eating freshwater fish . They taste too fishy . He says ocean fish are much tastier . Me ? I can’t imagine life without a mess of brookies fried up over the campfire for breakfast .

Recently had a guy show me pictures of his sea fishing adventures and some of the fish are BIG ! One thing he told me is that he has no more interest in eating freshwater fish . They taste too fishy . He says ocean fish are much tastier . Me ? I can’t imagine life without a mess of brookies fried up over the campfire for breakfast .
My wife used to work with a lady from Japan. She thought all of our freshwater fish were tastless.

Today I decided to do something weird... singing with my brine shrimp:

I usually like to eat fried tilapia fillets. They are expensive here (despite being farmed domestically), but I like it. I tried fish known here as "cação" (and nobody knows if this is a shark or cartilaginous fish) and I didn't like it.

Today I decided to do something weird... singing with my brine shrimp:

I usually like to eat fried tilapia fillets. They are expensive here (despite being farmed domestically), but I like it. I tried fish known here as "cação" (and nobody knows if this is a shark or cartilaginous fish) and I didn't like it.
You should definitely try out for "Brazil's Got Talent." :lol:

Finally got my neighbor to come over to get the corner desk I was getting rid of and he wanted. Kind of irritated me a bit that it took so long, like over three weeks, but he started a new job and I can understand.

Watching out for black bears when I go outside. Seems like every three or so years we'll have a young black bear come down and investigate. One was around my apartments a couple of days ago. This makes two this year.

And last but not least my mouse pad to use on my new coffee table showed up today. Don't need it for functionality but wanted to protect the surface of my coffee table. Didn't really see any aquatic pads that tripped my trigger but, with my having a cockatiel, I couldn't pass on the following.
bbird pad.jpg

Finally got my neighbor to come over to get the corner desk I was getting rid of and he wanted. Kind of irritated me a bit that it took so long, like over three weeks, but he started a new job and I can understand.

Watching out for black bears when I go outside. Seems like every three or so years we'll have a young black bear come down and investigate. One was around my apartments a couple of days ago. This makes two this year.

And last but not least my mouse pad to use on my new coffee table showed up today. Don't need it for functionality but wanted to protect the surface of my coffee table. Didn't really see any aquatic pads that tripped my trigger but, with my having a cockatiel, I couldn't pass on the following.
View attachment 325650
Remember that in Wyoming we still have the right to keep and arm bears.

I love the mouse pad.

Remember that in Wyoming we still have the right to keep and arm bears.

I love the mouse pad.
LOL! On the 'arm bears' part. ;)

Just dawned on me that the local Walgreens does custom mouse pads. I just may have to get one with one of the following images. It would probably be the first.

This
clide round effect.jpg

Or this
clyde showing off 3-small.JPG

Most reactions

Back