Finally Sterbai Eggs

I collected 80 more eggs today. I think all were in the spawning mop.
And I also moved the parents to another tank so I can re-caulk the tank they were in. It seems the caulk must melt from the acidic water over the time. I noticed that while back but I never had another tank to move them. But it finally got it done, I am so glad that the tank never sprang a leak.
I just hope the Sterbais like their new home.

They made me sweat a bit that they are not happy with new home but they made some eggs this evening. Which itself was unusual also. They were always laying eggs in the morning/afternoon. I also am wondering if the temperature made any difference. Since the day of move(Saturday evening) the tank stayed around 76F although I set the heater 81F. And I didn't get any eggs on Sunday nor Monday, I did crank up the heater late morning. I didn't want to cook the fish so I moved about 2 F. And by the time they were laying eggs, it was 78F. Maybe they only make eggs when it is warm.
Anyway, I collected 86 eggs, 14 on the glass, 1 on the heater, 11 on the leaves of Java Fern and 60 more in the spawning mop.
I will crank up more heat if the temp is still 78F tomorrow.

I guess they settled down in their new home, ok. I saw them making eggs this afternoon. It seems they sleep in later than when they were in the old tank. Maybe because they are in my bedroom now, they adjust to my schedule. :lol: But at least, they seems back to every other day of egg making.
I just hope I have the school of miniture Sterbais in few tanks in 2~3 months. I know I put about 50 in one small tank and I am about to put another 50 in another small tank. Probably the oldest are 5~6 weeks old and they are still small and they still hide under things and I don't know the exact number of frys in the tank.
I guess I just have to wait and see the day I have to catch them and move to bigger tank.

Oh I did collect 82 eggs( 16 on the glass and rest in the spawning mop).

They left me 94 more eggs today. There were 18 on the glass, 8 on the plastic of powerhead, 57 in the spawning mop and 11 on the leaves of Java Fern. I guess they are getting older and bigger, and produce more eggs.

Last night, I collected 26 eggs( 5 on the filter, 12 on the glass, 4 on the leaves of Java Fern and 5 in the spawning mop.) I thought this was small batch. I wonder if I get more on the next batch.

I guess they are fine since I collected 79 more eggs this evening. 17 on the glass, 9 in the spawning mop and 53 on the leaves of Java Fern.

Yes, I do count them eggs since I need to collect them. And fortunately or unfortunately, they seldom go over 3 digits which is barely my capability of count thing. :fun:
I have not totaled how many eggs I collected since they start spawning and I still experimenting the best way to hatch the eggs and raise the frys. But I know I put about 100+ week old frys in 2 small tanks. I have no idea how many is alive and growing but I do see them more often as they grow. Not only their increased size but also they do gain more confidence it seems and come out more to look for food.
Probably, I need to set bigger tabk say about 10G in next week or 2 and move the bigger frys to give them more room. Although I don't know what is the best way to catch them. They are still small but they sure are quick. And it is not a bare tank and some decorations/plants.
Then, I will have some idea of how many of 100+ reached to 1/2"TL which I will try to catch and move.

It is getting close to I can comfortably count. :fun: I THINK I collected 130 eggs(8 on the glass, 71 on the leaves of Java Fern and 51 in the spawning mop.) However, I noticed that some eggs were not fertilized since some of the eggs were turning milky whiter color. I know the good eggs stay clear and just color up and get darker. Still, 90~100 should be good.

I got eggs from all 3 Corys today. I collected 42 eggs from Sterbai, 19 on the glass and 23 on the leaves of Java Fern.
And I must say some of the earlier frys finally become miniture Sterbai instead of todpoles. I still have no idea how many frys exactly I have in the 3 small tanks. And how many is alive and growing, but at least I know some Sterbai frys made to 1/2"TL and 1/4"W.

Well, no wonder your Cories love you: you are so dedicated. I can barely find time to collect the eggs, let alone count them! haha

Well, no wonder your Cories love you: you are so dedicated. I can barely find time to collect the eggs, let alone count them! hshs
I guess between the jobs help(I call it FISH VACATION.) :shifty: It would be great if I can make living out of it but I probably need to find J O B in few months. Until then, my fishy got full attention from me. I see more eggs in the Sterbai tank need to be collected this afternoon/evening. :rolleyes:

Collected 47 eggs this evening. 1 on the glass, 21 on the leaves of Java Fern and 25 in the spawning mop. I guess each females make about 40~50 eggs every 2~3 days now.

Hey Neon,

I can finally post again after i kept getting this message:

Board Message
Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.
The error returned was:
Sorry, you do not have permission to reply to that topic

I meant to ask how the April 14th meeting went but haven't been able to log in.

How are those first baby sterbais maturing?

Most reactions

Back