Finally Sterbai Eggs

This morning I got up and go do some water change for the little containers which hold eggs and I notice there are 2 eggs on the Java moss and 1 on the leaf of Java Fern. I know it wasn't there when I collected eggs yesterday evening.
So those eggs had to be made sometime between 6P.M ~7A.M. I wonder if the male convince after dinner or after dark or early morning. :shifty: I did not remove everything to see if there are more. Since I imagine I had to do it anyway this evening. :rolleyes:

Have you hatched any sterbia eggs from a few days ago or weeks ago? If so, are they doing well?

Mike

Hey aquamike,

I put some week old after they hatch to the small tank with Cherry Red Shrimps and some small Ramshorn Snails about 2 weeks ago. I put about 20 Sterbai frys and 20 Panda frys. I don't know exactly how many are they in it since I set the tank with sponge filter and some plants and sands. But they are more outgoing than used to be. They still look like some todpoles with some wiskers. But I can see them foraging the sand stand on their head try to dig. :wub: And I don't see the dead body so I think they are doing ok.
And another 10 Sterbai frys should join in a week. And I am thinking to set another small tank since I have about 150 eggs which I am thinking 100 should hatch in 2~3 days if the way should be. And I see more eggs I need to collect this afternoon/evening.
It is still 2~4 weeks away for most of them to be like reduced copy of adult either Panda or Sterbai. Then I would have better feel of their survival chance. Still they need some special attention of feeding and water change.
So still long way to go. But they are such a cute little thing.

Anyway, I collected 32 eggs this evening. 15 in the spawning mop, 15 on the leaves of Java Fern, 1 on the glass and 1 onthe leaf of Anubias.

I am so surprised to collect 101 eggs today. I don't know this came from 2 or 3 females. I sure don't think it came from 1 female.
Anyway, there were 10 eggs on the glass, 9 on the outside of the container which I keep some eggs from few days ago, 68 in the spawning mop, 2 on the leaf of Anubias and 12 on the leaves of Java Fern.
If I could raise even half the eggs to young Sterbais, I would have 100+ in 3~4 months.
Another question would be, how long is this last. Since this is my first month getting eggs from Sterbais let alone the first year and season.
I better set some tank(s) up. I guess it's gonna be a busy April for me.

Hi madattiver,

Yes, I do have pretty good Easter eggs maker at the moment. I just hope most eggs would hatch unlike Easter eggs.
And I think the factory finally closed today although the males were trying. :rolleyes: I don't think they made any eggs this morning/afternoon. They did worked over time yesterday so I am not surprise by this. But I will check later on for just in case if they hide any somewhere I don't see.
I just can't wait for them to gain some depth on their body. They still look like little todpoles. But they do come out more than used to be. Although I still don't know exactly how many in the tank. Should be around 30+. I did put 20 Panda and 20 Sterbai frys in it. As well as some Cherry Red Shrimps and some snails. It seems those nannies doing good, I will set another tank with same group.

Yeah, collected 31 more eggs. 2 on the glass 2 on the plastic outlet from the powerhead, 14 in the spawning mop and 13 on the leaves of Java Fern.
They are back to work after the day off yesterday. :shifty: They sure work hard.

WOW, :hyper: they made new record. I collected 137 eggs if I counted correctly( my count get little iffy after 99). 12 on the glass, 9 on the side of container, 3 on the plastic part of powerhead, 84 in the spawning mop and 29 on the leaves of Java Fern.
I wonder if they gonna take another day off tomorrow.

I am so surprised to collect 101 eggs today. I don't know this came from 2 or 3 females. I sure don't think it came from 1 female.
Anyway, there were 10 eggs on the glass, 9 on the outside of the container which I keep some eggs from few days ago, 68 in the spawning mop, 2 on the leaf of Anubias and 12 on the leaves of Java Fern.
If I could raise even half the eggs to young Sterbais, I would have 100+ in 3~4 months.
Another question would be, how long is this last. Since this is my first month getting eggs from Sterbais let alone the first year and season.
I better set some tank(s) up. I guess it's gonna be a busy April for me.

101 cories. :shifty: Anyway, good luck! You have quite the spawners there!

101 cories. :shifty: Anyway, good luck! You have quite the spawners there!

That would be very nice. But the reality is not all of them hatch and reach to the free swimming stage. Although I do hope 80% to hatch and 70% to absorb the egg sack and become free swimming. But all depends on the batch. Some batch of eggs are better than the other. Especially I have 3 females and 2 males so there are different combinations. Not to mention they are still young, after all they just start spawning last month.
I should have 100+ frys soon although I never can headcount once they move from hatching container to small grow up tank. I keep the tank more natural looking(sands,plants and hiding place) than some people would(bare tank). I should see how many I have when they reach about 1/2"TL with 1/4" body depth. Probably another month or two, I would guess.
Then I would need to set bigger tank. And make some arrangement for their new home.
Of course, I shouldn't count the eggs that haven't hatched yet. :|
:fish: :fish: more :fish:

P.S. K.J, did you get the info for the auction?

Hehe, neat! And yes, I just read it, thanks! :nod: Right now I don't need anything, but I'll keep it in mind.

Hehe, neat! And yes, I just read it, thanks! :nod: Right now I don't need anything, but I'll keep it in mind.

Are you sure you don't need anything? Maybe until you go to the auction. The empty tank doesn't fill up by themselves. :shifty:

Are you sure you don't need anything? Maybe until you go to the auction. The empty tank doesn't fill up by themselves. :shifty:

Sure, I need $300 dollars. :lol:
$300! What are you try to buy? 3 Discus? 100G tank with stand? You can buy some stuff from a single dollar if nobody else want it. It all depends on demands and supplys. You could find some good deal sometime, especially near the end of the auction(less people, less competition). It happen only once a year. And I, too doesn't have paticular need but I still go there and see if I see something I HAVE TO have it. :blush: Anyway, it is a fun event.

Most reactions

Back