What are you doing today?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

This week it’s nice having “ She Who Must Be Obeyed “ home . I made a cake today from one of those box mixes and a thing of hideously sweet pre-made frosting . I did long overdue water changes Wednesday and made vegetable beef soup yesterday . I’ve figured out how to do everything I have to do and still get my daily five mile run in and , actually , life seems to be somewhat stable despite my new role as doer of it all . Since I’m retired it seems like going back to work but with a very short commute . The new issue of TFH should come soon , the weather is great and reruns of Gunsmoke are in the 1970 season which is good . Life is good .

I make my own frosting.. much healthier than store canned frosting. Making your own frosting is easy as long as you have a stand or handheld beater.

I often make yellow cake mix but add lots of blueberries once the batter is put in the pan. It tastes like blueberry muffins. I dont add nasty frosting to it. It’s much healthier without frosting.
Tastes great as is.

Last edited:
I love Cake... All of them, no frosting.

But I have an instant frosting recipe, That is so simple, and makes something like you find on the "Deep'n Delicious®" cakes. and even better.

Jello instant chocolate pudding mix.
Nutrifill whipped cream topping.

Add chocolate mix to the Nutrifill while whipping... I can take a couple shots before getting it, loll.

Once you get it, you can add a little pure cocoa to the mix and get a really nice frosting that doesn't taste too sweet.

But will make everyone ask how you did that !

My wife’s 70th birthday arrives in a few weeks. She loves chocolate cake with a buttercream icing. I am looking for recipes. In addition to the cake I will be cooking dinner for her and six of her cousins. You only turn 70 once.

I make my own frosting.. much healthier than store canned frosting. Making your own frosting is easy as long as you have a stand or handheld beater.

I often make yellow cake mix but add lots of blueberries once the batter is put in the pan. It tastes like blueberry muffins. I dont add nasty frosting to it. It’s much healthier without frosting.
Tastes great as is.
There’s an idea , make your own frosting . I try to eat healthy as best I can and reading the label on that store bought frosting about gave me a stroke . High fructose corn syrup and palm oil and stuff they probably make meth out of . The blueberries in the cake mix sounds GREAT ! Where would a guy find a frosting recipe ? @MaloK , yours sounds good . I like Jello pudding . What’s Nutrifill ? Is that something like Reddi-Whip ? What about plain old Cool Whip ? Would that work ?

Last edited:

Tastes great as is.
Don't you need a lot of sugar if you make your own frosting ?

This reminds me - when i was in college someone said they were going to get poppy seed cake and i thought it sounded disgusting because i think of poppy seeds on bagels (btw boston have fantastic fresh bagels if you get there around 6:45 when they take them out of the ovens); anyway it turned out to be fantastic. About the only type of cake i like these days is poppy seeds. Isn't poppy seed some sort of drug or something that makes you fat ?

But I have an instant frosting recipe, That is so simple, and makes something like you find on the "Deep'n Delicious®" cakes. and even better.

Jello instant chocolate pudding mix.
Nutrifill whipped cream topping.

Add chocolate mix to the Nutrifill while whipping... I can take a couple shots before getting it, loll.

Once you get it, you can add a little pure cocoa to the mix and get a really nice frosting that doesn't taste too sweet.

But will make everyone ask how you did that !
Sigh, I used to do a scratch cake, double chocolate fudge, that I actually used scratch made tapioca pudding for frosting. Both were scratch enough to include folding in whipped egg whites. Haven't made that in years as I lost the Betty Crocker cookbook, circa the 1950's, with the recipe for the cake. Tried a few later recipes but it wasn't the same so I sort of gave up on it.

I would bake the cake in a 9X13 pan and cut into two layers. Fill between the layers with the pudding then poke holes through and top with more pudding. People thought I was weird... well I am... but they sure ate it up. ;)

like Reddi-Whip ? What about plain old Cool Whip ?

Yes, they'll do it fine too, the fun thing is once you played a little with it. you can do from light whipped with a fresh chocolate taste to thick dark copious frosting that looks out of wonderland.

While it's purely instant stuff, It gives a lot more frosting for the calories, loll.

Some are pure grease with powdered sugar. or a pound of butter with eggs and as much sugar. My system rejected systematically all that stuff long ago. lolll

Don't you need a lot of sugar if you make your own frosting ?
Depends on the frosting. Take a lemon cake and frost with thickened raspberry puree and it is to die for. Yes, there is sugar in a raspberry but it is a natural sugar, not the nasty processed white stuff we think of.

My wife’s 70th birthday arrives in a few weeks. She loves chocolate cake with a buttercream icing. I am looking for recipes. In addition to the cake I will be cooking dinner for her and six of her cousins. You only turn 70 once.
II do not know much about baking but your plans for the Mrs birthday is sweet.

Yes yes yes
To frost a 9x 13 cake, for a buttercream frosting, you use 3.5 cups of powdered sugar, a teaspoon of vanilla extract and 3 or 4 tablespoons of softened butter (half a stick) Then you add a few tablespoons of milk and beat at first on low while using a spatula to direct the mixture into the beating blades. After beating on low for a minute ot two you can increase speed and if needed add a bit more milk. Once it seems blended, then increase speed to high and beat for several minutes while you keep scraping the edge of your bowl with a spatula, directing frosting toward the beater blades.

If you don't want a buttercream frosting, you can make it plain by not putting in the butter and just add the vanilla extract and a bit more milk.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back