What are you doing today?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wow . . . . people get excited about cake don’t they ?
Actually, for myself, not really. I almost never eat cake anymore and haven't for years. Once or twice a year I may get a Boston Cream Pie which is actually a cake but I really don't eat much as to sweets. I DO eat an individual tart now and then that I get from Omaha Steaks. One is apple (sweet) and the other a mix of blueberry, raspberry and blackberry (tart).

Today I am really wishing my life was not the equivalent of a spy/detective movie. Can I just take a nap and not have to worry or be responsible or always watching my surroundings? I just want a nap lol

While I DO like several kinds of cake I live alone and can't eat an entire cake before it would be well ruined.

LOL! Now cheese cake is a different matter! I could probably eat an entire cheese cake in an evening. There is a local guy that makes some of the best cheese cake I've ever had but he has drug issues dealing with meth and probably heroin. I just can't trust his service but have had a raspberry topped cheesecake he made with a chocolate ginache sample that was amazing. This dude can cook but I just can't trust due to the drug issues. :(

While I DO like several kinds of cake I live alone and can't eat an entire cake before it would be well ruined.

LOL! Now cheese cake is a different matter! I could probably eat an entire cheese cake in an evening. There is a local guy that makes some of the best cheese cake I've ever had but he has drug issues dealing with meth and probably heroin. I just can't trust his service but have had a raspberry topped cheesecake he made with a chocolate ginache sample that was amazing. This dude can cook but I just can't trust due to the drug issues. :(
what I do, being single too, is weigh out a half box of cake mix and add 2 eggs, half cup of water and a quarter cup of oil, mix well and bake it in an 8x8 pan instead of a full box in a 9x13 pan. And if you don't want to eat it all in a few days, you can freeze some of it..it freezes well.
With all this cake talk, I am in the middle of baking a blueberry cake.. Will be ready in 5 more minutes. I'm getting hungry.

VOILA!
And then there was blueberry cake with a light dusting of powdered sugar
IMG_3858.jpeg
IMG_3859.jpeg

as a type 1 this is not a thread to be reading at the moment..
I'm not type 1 but I'm trying not to be type 2. I used to make a really great devil's food cake, or carrot cake, all from scratch, only cakes I'd bake. Gave the oven away in 2011.

so pup is doing wonderfully, her name is Sadie, in 6 days she is mostly potty trained no accidents in 2 days, and I think she is half again the size she was last Saturday. No cake for me truck is fixed, Temporary robber screen installed. Look at all the bees aimed at the white hive

Attachments

• 20241018_154446.jpg
    20241018_154446.jpg
    571.4 KB · Views: 9
There’s an idea , make your own frosting . I try to eat healthy as best I can and reading the label on that store bought frosting about gave me a stroke . High fructose corn syrup and palm oil and stuff they probably make meth out of . The blueberries in the cake mix sounds GREAT ! Where would a guy find a frosting recipe ? @MaloK , yours sounds good . I like Jello pudding . What’s Nutrifill ? Is that something like Reddi-Whip ? What about plain old Cool Whip ? Would that work ?
One important hint if you make a blueberry cake. Coat the blueberries with flour. That way they wont sink to the bottom of the cake.

I haven't made any type of cake since my children grew up and left home. I have type 2 diabetes (diet controlled for 24 years) so not allowed to eat cake and my husband prefers shop bought cake to home baked 😲

I have a non traditional sort of diabetes - not type one but not directly type two. I had trouble with really sugary treats for decades but passed every diabetes test. I had occasional symptoms of high sugar, but wasn't considered diabetic. It was the same for people in the older generation of my family, who tended to go from "you're fine" to insulin really fast. From my thirties onward, I tended to go very easy on cake, pastries and sugary foods. The official diagnosis came in a year and a half ago, and since then, I've craved the cakes, pastries and sugary foods I'd largely avoided for 30 years.
Go figure.
If you know you can't have it, you want it.

I'm of the skinny diabetic persuasion, exactly as my mother was. My doctor was clearly skeptical when I insisted on adding diabetes to the usual checkup blood tests, but I felt the occasional things were become far less occasional, and the tests showed it. I was hoping I was wrong, but this was one time I wasn't.

I have a recipe for a Newfoundland gingerbread cake that is wondrous, and very nice to look at, but I'm kind of out of practice on making these things...

Most reactions

Back