What are you doing today?

Well, out of all the ideas, my band decided on the goofiest one, "Flight of the Green Elk," to be our name. So now I'm trying to design a Celtic Elk logo for us...
Something like this give you any ideas? ;)

pegaelk.jpg

What am I doing?
I just started the entry thread for Tank of the Month. For March, we are featuring tanks sized at 16 gallon and smaller. If you have that size tank, we hope you enter it in the contest.
CLICK HERE to view the entry thread.

I have one... but it's in no fit state to show off. Planting mainly consists of that fluffy green algae that can actually look quite pretty,and the tank look aged, since it's grown all over the wood pieces and I quite like it. But it's everywhere, and not much else plant wise except a growing cloud of that riccia wort type plant.

Taking a break from clearing the wardrobe. Mum had a lot of clothes. And stuff on shelves, bottom of wardrobe, and stacked on top.

But have a couple of boxes full of books and a box of knick knacks we're not keeping. Had brother wrapping up and boxing breakables and ornaments that we're keeping, at least for now, so they can be tucked safely away and not get knocked over and broken (I've already accidentally broken two ornaments while cleaning) while we're shifting all this furniture, deep cleaning and redecorating.

Already running out of space, there's so much stuff.

But I'm good at sorting and packing things - I moved around a lot since leaving home at 16 and through my 20s, and I've always been good at sorting, organising and packing. It's harder now because it's mum's stuff, but I've sorted half the clothes in the wardrobe anyway, and the charity will collect six bags and the three boxes along with the furniture. Six bags should be enough, and this won't be the only collection, just the first one to make some space.

Time to feed the puppers, fish and myself. Then I'll do more this evening while listening to some upbeat music.

Just had a refrigerator repair guy here. The evaporator blower fan motor bearings are going out on my fridge. Probably be around a week before the new blower motor comes in. No big deal as the fridge still works fine. It just makes a rumbling sound at times, not loud but can be heard. Ah, the advantage of apartment living. Won't cost me a penny. :)

Also installed an interface card in my main computer to hold a specific type of hard drive. For those that are computer savvy the card is for a PCIe slot and holds an M.2 NVMe drive. It all went well but the drive is running slower than it should so I ordered a different card that should enable the drive to run at full speed. The current card is PCIe X1 and the new will be PCIe X16. I'll still have use for the X1 card but the X16 will be much faster. LOL! For those not computer savvy this is just a bunch of computer geek mumble jumble. ;)

Made bread today . Getting it down to a science . Start making your own homemade bread and you’ll throw rocks at the store bought kind .
I keep telling myself that I need to start making bread again but never seem to do. I could make it easy and just get a machine but that just isn't the same to me.

I keep telling myself that I need to start making bread again but never seem to do. I could make it easy and just get a machine but that just isn't the same to me.
How do those bread machines work ? You put all the ingredients in and it mixes , kneads and everything ? My whole wheat recipe is simple and I popped out two loaves in two hours start to finish . The Kitchenaid mixer can’t be beat .

How do those bread machines work ? You put all the ingredients in and it mixes , kneads and everything ? My whole wheat recipe is simple and I popped out two loaves in two hours start to finish . The Kitchenaid mixer can’t be beat .
Basically... yes, you just dump everything in and the machine mixes, kneads and bakes. Normally the loaves tend to be smaller but a decent quality machine is supposed to do a good job. Just seems to me that, if you're going to bake bread, doing it by hand is best.

On your whole wheat you might try adding some rosemary or basil, REALLY good. When I used to do bread I did a lot of French. Before the final rise I liked to separate each loaf into three sections, roll out and brush each section with melted butter, basil, grated parmigiano cheese and garlic. Roll up each section to long rolls and braid. Not all that good for a sandwich but awesome as a garlic bread. :)

Some spices most would not consider are great in bread. As an example course ground black pepper is awesome in a white bread for sandwiches, especially for a BLT. :)

KitchenAid is still one of the best as to stand mixers but not as good as they were before Whirlpool bought them out in 1985. At least Whirlpool kept good quality with the mixers but other appliances fell off a lot. Did you know that KitchenAid was originally a division of Hobart, the industry leaders of commercial dish washers? I'm just not a fan of Whirlpool. Shoot, when I got out of the Navy I worked in Aluminum die casting for a while. One such company made compressor heads for both Whirlpool and Kenmore (Sears) fridges. If a compressor head failed in testing on the Kenmore line it just got tossed on the Whirlpool line and was likely to pass.

Hopefully going bass fishing tomorrow.

This year I'm going to have target species instead of fishing blindly.
So my list for this year is pretty short.
Large Mouth Bass and Red Drum. Those are my two target species for the year.

Honorable mentions include:
Flounder and Striped Bass

And it's always fun to catch bluegill of course, but I'm trying to target the other species.

I use a machine to make an oatmeal loaf. I have an obsession with Russian Black Bread and no recipe for the machine has worked. I need to graduate to real bread making.
Hmmm, don't think I've ever had Russian Black Bread. :dunno: One of my favorite dark breads is Pumpernickel! A tomato basil bisque for dipping a grilled cheese with tomato and onion shreds in the sandwich on pumpernickel is to die for! :)

There are just some things that a bread machine can't do that can be done by hand. Take one of my favorite sandwiches which is a Reuben which is best with a marbled rye bread. You just can't marble in a machine as it all just gets mixed together.

Most reactions

Back