What are you doing today?

I bought a bait caster once, determined to learn to use it. I bought a 7 foot rod to go with it- long for where I fish because I'm usually walking through brush and stuff to get to little ponds, etc. I wanted to use it from the shore where I had space to really fling it out there and cover a lot of the water.

I casted it exactly one time. The backlash was so bad, I couldn't even begin to deal with it. I grabbed the ol' faithful open face and went back to doing what I'd done before. Honestly, I can't remember if I still have it or I gave it away in disgust. ...I gotta go downstairs and check LOL.
You should try it again! Maybe you were using a bad one, or you just weren't using it right...
Definitely got to feather it with your thumb and stop the spool before it hits the water.
You also need to make sure that the "settings" on the reel are right, like the spool tension, magnetic braking, and possibly centrifugal braking if your reel has that.

Definitely do what I did and watch you tube videos. Also don't cast any less than a 3/8 oz lure.
And practice on land lol. Don't cast in the water for the first few casts getting into it

You should try it again! Maybe you were using a bad one, or you just weren't using it right...
Definitely got to feather it with your thumb and stop the spool before it hits the water.
You also need to make sure that the "settings" on the reel are right, like the spool tension, magnetic braking, and possibly centrifugal braking if your reel has that.

Definitely do what I did and watch you tube videos. Also don't cast any less than a 3/8 oz lure.
And practice on land lol. Don't cast in the water for the first few casts getting into it
Good advice, Rocky. Yeah, I didn't do any of the right things. I just hoped it would work. I will end up trying again- it bugs me sometimes that I just gave it the ol' one and done.

Good advice, Rocky. Yeah, I didn't do any of the right things. I just hoped it would work. I will end up trying again- it bugs me sometimes that I just gave it the ol' one and done.
I'm sure you'll get it the next time around!
Remember, lots of people say it could take multiple tried before you stop backlashing. If you have the main basics down, you shouldn't backlash TOO badly during the learning phase.

@Rocky998
is it possible the seller would refund you money (if it was broken when you received it). doesn't hurt to ask

This is more of what I'm NOT doing on Black Friday. They have not printed enough money to get me to go out this day! I remember when I lived in Florida there was actually a person literally trampled to death in the rush of people trying to force their way into a Walmart store when the doors opened.

@Rocky998
is it possible the seller would refund you money (if it was broken when you received it). doesn't hurt to ask
No, this was a few weeks back and it was a Facebook seller... I'm just considering it bad luck... And heck, he may have not even known it was broken.

Black Friday - I bought a few things on sale today - got lucky and found gifts for Christmas that were right on for family. I got it all online.

When my boys were younger I would camp out at the local Sports Authority to get the deals- not many people went up there, so we'd go up there around 5am and would be first in line. We got some good stuff for them for cheap then- it was worth it. Now? Hell-to-the-no. Besides, Black Friday is not what it used to be- it's Black pretty much Black Week now.

I just shoveled a whooooooole bunch of snow off the roof. Our shingles leaked all last spring, and we've had an order in for a new roof since then, but they haven't been able to get over yet...so I'll be keeping it dry the hard way. Yippee.

How DARE you use that 4-letter word!!! It's only NOVEMBER, don't rush us!!!
snow snow snow snow!
wthr6.gif

alpha320.gif
alpha315.gif
alpha316.gif
alpha324.gif

smil1.gif

I wish we would get some here. Haven't had it here in a long time.
I would gladly send you some. It is rather beautiful. I'm just not quite ready for it to be this cold yet, plus getting the Christmas tree is going to be hard work now!

I cleaned up the hunting rifles and put them away last night. Always kind of sad, especially a year like this when no one scored. But ah, the smell of Hoppe's #9! 😊

Also cut up last year's antelope hide. Got enough high-quality rawhide strips to back at least four bows, so that was fun.

I would gladly send you some. It is rather beautiful. I'm just not quite ready for it to be this cold yet, plus getting the Christmas tree is going to be hard work now!

I cleaned up the hunting rifles and put them away last night. Always kind of sad, especially a year like this when no one scored. But ah, the smell of Hoppe's #9! 😊

Also cut up last year's antelope hide. Got enough high-quality rawhide strips to back at least four bows, so that was fun.
Deer season here goes to mid-January, so if I want to catch my older brother, I have to get him during the week....and even then, sometimes he's out there.

I went hunting once. Squirrel. I got bored and started shooting leaves off the trees. Guaranteed way to make sure I don't get anything LOL. I just can't sit there with a gun in my hand and not shoot something. I can fish all day and not catch a thing, but I don't have the patience for hunting.

My brother has gotten my oldest son into hunting. He took him out year before last and my son shot 2 deer in 1 weekend LOL. Of course, my brother was going on and on about how he "gave" them to my son LOL. What - ev - uh.

I'm interested in your bows- you use straight up old-timey bows just made of wood? Do you hunt well with them?

Most reactions

Back