What are you doing today?

Finished setting up my fishroom tables (these are 130x18 and 134x20):
x.jpg

The one on the left is this stone:
xx.jpg
The one on the right is:
x1.jpg

The things you can do (or have done) when you are bored. Those two tables are approx 400lbs each. Of course a full 29 is around 300lbs; but guess which one can be lifted without breaking ;)

Makes sense... I forget people tend to have smaller birds than we used to have. Until Mom died 2 years ago, we would have a LARGE bird, so I always assume everyone has a massive bird as well. We also NEVER went frozen, but ordered one from a local farm "stand".

I guess I was spoiled! I will NEVER eat a turkey dinner as good as those ever again... :-(

That's what they say. It's a filthy lie...
Actually I've done it and it's true... mayhaps 2 hours is on the low size but you can do a 20 pound turkey in under three hours. Doing by this method actually has an advantage. If you have the legs totally under the water but the breast above when the dark meat, which takes longer to cook, This results in the dark meat totally thawed and the breast close to thawed but not quite. This defeats the breast tending to cook quicker resulting in the breast being on the dry side as it has to finish thawing in the oven making it all even. I have done this and it works very well.

The only juicer turkey breast that you will get is if done on a rotisserie. Today I'm not doing either a turkey or ham, just doing a rib eye 1 pound bone in steak and a pretty loaded baked tater. Still I've done the water thaw and rotisserie methods and both work quite well. While I've never done a whole turkey on a rotisserie I've done several just breasts and, if you pick up a cut piece, the juices will run down your fingers. I stopped doing the rotisserie bit a few years ago as it is just impossible to really balance a turkey breast on a spit it started jamming up the gear box for the rotisserie. When the gear box jammed I was able to take it apart and fix but I won't do it again as my indoor grill/rotisserie is an old Faber Ware open hearth unit that has not been sold in probably 30 years at least. I'm just not going to risk toasting the gear box and not be able to replace.

The biggest mistake that is made with turkey cooking is that people cook a turkey to the recommended internal temperature of 165 degrees, the same mistake is often made with chicken. Don't do that and don't use the built in 'pop up' thermometers. Use a real meat thermometer and pull out of the oven when the temperature is 158-160. Since the bird is still hot it will still keep cooking out of the oven. Especially with a full turkey you want it to 'rest' for 15-20 minutes before carving so the juices are pulled back in instead of making a puddle. Doing this will end with a fully cooked bird and the proper internal temperature will reach proper levels while 'resting' without drying the breast.

<edit>
I forgot to add that when thawing a bird in a sink full of water you don't just fill the sink and let it go, You have to often drain the sink and refill with warm, not hot, water.

Last edited:
I put a chatterbait on my rod to test the reel put and it works well! Sadly though the adjustable breaking on the side doesn't work from what I know... But the centrifugal brakes and spool tension are working!
My dad and I are going to really test them tomorrow! I'm hoping on catching some fall bass, but idk lol
Maybe a red drum, but I've heard they go deep now...
20231123_171632.jpg

Finished setting up my fishroom tables (these are 130x18 and 134x20):

The one on the left is this stone:

The one on the right is:

The things you can do (or have done) when you are bored. Those two tables are approx 400lbs each. Of course a full 29 is around 300lbs; but guess which one can be lifted without breaking ;)
Wow, what a beautiful, clean, room for your tanks! And the tops for those tables are fantastic! I love that floor, too. Green with envy :alien:

I put a chatterbait on my rod to test the reel put and it works well! Sadly though the adjustable breaking on the side doesn't work from what I know... But the centrifugal brakes and spool tension are working!
My dad and I are going to really test them tomorrow! I'm hoping on catching some fall bass, but idk lol
Maybe a red drum, but I've heard they go deep now...
I bought a bait caster once, determined to learn to use it. I bought a 7 foot rod to go with it- long for where I fish because I'm usually walking through brush and stuff to get to little ponds, etc. I wanted to use it from the shore where I had space to really fling it out there and cover a lot of the water.

I casted it exactly one time. The backlash was so bad, I couldn't even begin to deal with it. I grabbed the ol' faithful open face and went back to doing what I'd done before. Honestly, I can't remember if I still have it or I gave it away in disgust. ...I gotta go downstairs and check LOL.

Whaaaa...? 'splain, please?
It seems like every year our turkey fails to thaw out in the fridge like it's supposed to. :lol: This year was no exception. So we ended up having thanksgiving dinner around 6 p.m. instead of at lunch time. No worries. 👍

Most reactions

Back