What are you doing today?

Went for a little ride on my bicycle and stopped to pick up some crickets to try with my cichlids. So far the cricket I put in has been ignored but it isn't feeding time so the cichlids probably aren't looking for food... are they ever not looking? :dunno: More likely they don't yet know the bugs are food. I DO know from past experience that most cichlids will chow down on a cricket.

Theoretically (because now I "only" have the internship), I'm on vacation from my undergraduate, although I continue doing things related (maybe is better to study English and for exams relating to being a public servant). I don't know if this occurs overall in American universities, but some of them have up to 3 months of vacation. Here in Brazil, usually, it seems that the students have fewer vacation days than the teachers themselves. The term paper is probably finished, finally.

The Brazilian bureaucracy is simply titanic and, during my internship, there're several forms and reports to write and get several signatures... well, welcome to the country of "despachantes".

Anyway, I intend to figure out (even more) about Master's programs (unfortunately, I sent some emails to potential advisors but I still didn't receive any answer). Honestly, for me, it makes sense if I going to improve my English first in US and, then, preparing for the Master's, since I didn't see a way better for learning English than living in an English-speaking country.

Despite this, my artemias are doing well. I changed the recipient and I got something simpler to move and also able to reflect some sunlight (unfortunately, I didn't get a white color, despite the color being light gray). Also, I'm not a Catholic (although Brazil's history is closely related to Jesuits and something else), but I'm doing voluntary work in a chapel close home (do you know kermesse?) every week. I find very cool the history involving Brazil's colonization, so close to Catholicism and Religious Orders.

During my term paper presentation, the committee said that my work may be related to entrepreneurship and innovation, given that my concept involves simple and functional brine shrimp culturing. I'll check a fair related to entrepreneurship later, then I can check if my work fits the rules. Yeah, I can also tell this to the potential advisors, why not?

1689373184069.jpeg
1689373194046.jpeg
1689373201744.jpeg
1689373209966.jpeg
1689373223917.jpeg
1689373233030.jpeg

Successfully installed a countertop and new sink with help from my father in law today, but was then defeated in a multi-hour battle with plumbing.
Sounds like an expatiation on the plumbing is needed. ;)

Don't ya hate it when projects go south? Three days ago I ordered a new entertainment center to lower things and 'clean up' my electronics wall. That evening my 43 inch screen died. Ordered a new TV but it almost tripled the price of the project. :(

Sounds like an expatiation on the plumbing is needed. ;)

Don't ya hate it when projects go south? Three days ago I ordered a new entertainment center to lower things and 'clean up' my electronics wall. That evening my 43 inch screen died. Ordered a new TV but it almost tripled the price of the project. :(
Yes, I really do hate it. I consider myself a reasonably even-tempered person; I trust God and most things don't get to me too much. But there's something about home improvement projects gone wrong that really pushes my buttons.

The current trouble is that our old sink had weird dimensions. The new one we put in has drain holes in completely different places, so none of the pipes line up. And, as it turns out, plumbing pipes don't appreciate being forced to bend in ways they weren't designed for. I'm sure it's an easy fix, for someone who knows what they're doing. For me? 😱

Worst thing is I was really hoping for a day off to do something fun and relaxing with the family today, but I'll probably have to spend the day banging my head (both literally and metaphorically) against kitchen pipes.

Renovation is a stress, because when things aren't right, you are tempted to improvise. And your improvisation makes sense. To you.

For a pro, your work may look like you've built your own Titan submarine.

When we moved here, we had to get a reno company in because there was too much to be done too quickly. We discovered a lot of improv plumbing, and it was not only expensive, but seemed to have been done with drunken logic. I'm sure the previous owner thought it was grand, but everything was clogging because of rookie mistakes. Our plumber was a great guy - very fair and honest, but it took him 3 days extra. He explained every change he made, and his changes made too much sense.
Honestly, I would have made some of the same mistakes as the previous owner. Some.

Fishtanks taught me enough I wouldn't have made them all.

I like solving my own issues and building things, but non aquarium plumbing makes me wary. Outlet plumbing is easier than inlet...

Renovation is a stress, because when things aren't right, you are tempted to improvise. And your improvisation makes sense. To you.

For a pro, your work may look like you've built your own Titan submarine.

When we moved here, we had to get a reno company in because there was too much to be done too quickly. We discovered a lot of improv plumbing, and it was not only expensive, but seemed to have been done with drunken logic. I'm sure the previous owner thought it was grand, but everything was clogging because of rookie mistakes. Our plumber was a great guy - very fair and honest, but it took him 3 days extra. He explained every change he made, and his changes made too much sense.
Honestly, I would have made some of the same mistakes as the previous owner. Some.

Fishtanks taught me enough I wouldn't have made them all.

I like solving my own issues and building things, but non aquarium plumbing makes me wary. Outlet plumbing is easier than inlet...
Yeah. Our house if full of "What the heck were they thinking" kind of garbage. We only plan on staying here for a few years, and my goal is to sell the place with a clear conscience. So I want to do things right. It's a lot of pressure. ha ha

You'd think hiring professionals would be better but it all depends how you approach it. My brother-in-law and his wife decided to get a new fitted wardrobe, and new carpet, and have their bedroom redecorated. They had all their clothes in bags when we visited mid June and it's only just been finished. Somehow, the three workmen informed them they would be arriving on the same day. They sorted that out and the job has finally been finished. Then their new bed was delivered this week, and their bedding won't fit. They only ordered the wrong size bed :rolleyes:

Since yesterday there wasn't enough time, I didn't upload my Artemia franciscana culture photos.

Now, it's time.
1689459459114.jpeg
1689459466860.jpeg
1689459477267.jpeg
1689459484450.jpeg
1689459492490.jpeg
1689459502169.jpeg
1689459510855.jpeg
1689459517253.jpeg
1689459524207.jpeg

Today I fed the betta with artemias, as I'll do tomorrow.

What would be a reno company? A company for renovating homes? It seems cool to me.

Ya, it likely is an easy fix. Look at something like the following. Don't know the quality of the item below. I just clicked on the first result when doing a se4arch for "flexible drain pipe". The linked item is only $10.48.

67ef4f4a-42d0-47be-988e-b484902f8e1e_2000x2000.jpg

8597EF9A-A9C5-4BA7-95E2-7EF119CAE80A.jpeg
Final day of training with the SD organization, picked him up from there for the last time! Flying home tomorrow and training continues on the west coast ❤️

View attachment 322727Final day of training with the SD organization, picked him up from there for the last time! Flying home tomorrow and training continues on the west coast ❤️
Just in time for the Pet of the Month contest. Entry period ends on Friday or when we get 12 entrants whichever comes first.
CLICK HERE to view entry thread.

Took the Badgerling out to the Ethete Celebration pow wow for a few hours this afternoon. Will try to get a video of the Grand Entry up if I can get the demons exorcised from my internet connection.

Most reactions

Back