Spawn Diary V1 ~ Maui + Kula

I'll take that one third from the right. :D Hope you know who he is in a few months when I ask for him. :p

They are quite adorable! Glad to hear the waterchange went well, just go to show you that you have to find your own path and do what works for you;) The little gaffers are lucky to have such a sensitive, caring mommy!

What are your plans with the grow out? That is a ton of fish, I cam imagine it being a little overwhelming!

^_^ thanks, you guys!

Fawn ~ I have 2 20gal set-ups right now... I'm looking into getting a 50gal. I do believe quite a few babies will die before the 1 month mark. I'm also adding a dwarf cory this weekend, who will probably weed out the poor swimmers and weak fry.

Auratus ~ of course! I'll be sure to remember to reserve him for you :look: VERY nice choice! LOL

OMG... is it... really....? Yes, I'm updating the Spawn diary!!! :eek: WE HIT THE ONE-MONTH MARK! And, yes, some of them ARE still alive! heh

Looking back on my last post, I have to smack myself. I did add the Dwarf Cory. He was in there for a week doing perfectly fine, the bottom was totally cleaned of BBS eggs and the babies were happy. Then, on Saturday morning, I woke up to find an empty tank!!! Actually, it looked empty at first glance and I quickly removed Spike (the Corydora)... then, a bunch of fry swam out from the plants =0) so I guess only the smart/big ones survived! I really have no clue why Spike did it, there was plenty of food always in there for him and he seemed content. I know the 200-odd fry that he ate did not die, because they were happy and active the night before. I've been trying to hunt down a friend for Spike, maybe he's lonely? Whatever. Just, PLEASE, if any of you are considering a Cory in your fry tank, be uber careful. I now have around 100 fry... I'm guessing. I counted almost 100 a couple days ago, but I'm sure a bunch were out of sight. I feel really horrible about all of the babies that died, really, really horrible.

All of the surviving fry are eating First Bites and/or tiny bits of frozen Daphnia in the morning and BBS in the afternoon with sporadic MW's and minced up Bloodworms in between, and they're growing all big and strong :thumbs:! Cleaning the tank every single day is torture, but that's definitely a big part of the job. Actually, I have to go do it now :X I'll probably do a large WC on Friday, so then I can tell about how many fry are left. I've seen absolutely no dead fry or poor swimmers. Here's a few pics to update on their size, they might be a little bit behind in growth because of how huge the spawn size was. The first 2 pics are of a 3 week-old hunting for MW's in his Java Fern... the last 2 is their handsome Pops! Can you tell how much I love him? :wub:

Attachments

• newpuppy_001.jpg
    newpuppy_001.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 36
  • newpuppy_004.jpg
    newpuppy_004.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 37
  • newpuppy_087.jpg
    newpuppy_087.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 34
  • newpuppy_088.jpg
    newpuppy_088.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 33
  • maui.jpg
    maui.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 33
  • newpuppy_091.jpg
    newpuppy_091.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 36
They look fantastic, great job! :wub:

What is a dwarf cory? Is that like a pygmy? One pygmy seems hard pressed to eat 200 fry over night. I know betta breeders that use pygmies to keep the tank and eggs clean. Mind you, I really know nothing about any of it. :/

Of course now you only have the fastest, brightest, and best remaining. :nod:

Awww sorry to hear you lost so many, a warning to us all with cories in the fry tank. I put some into mine when they were 10 weeks old so felt pretty safe with them. Trouble is, I find that they try and scoff the food before the poor fry get to it sometimes :grr: Will not be adding them to grow-out tanks in future.

Wonderful pics of your fry :wub: and Happy Month Birthday :-

Jollysue, I'm actually not 100% sure how many he ate. However, he did have a huge stomache when I removed him and the fry aren't ginormous right now. He had about 18 hours to eat however many he ate before I checked them... my Dad had fed them BBS the night before when I was out, and he said he wasn't particularly checking how many fry were there. But honestly, I dont know. Hopefully it was a lot less than 200 ;) but I know for sure it was at least a good 50-100! Just looking over the tank, it looks at least half as full as it did before.

Yep, he's a pygmy. I was just being dumb after reading about dwarf gouramis and all tired :shifty:

Thanks Joby!! I think I'll stick to small snails from now on, too. I guess this could be an extreme kind of natural selection... it'll definitely be easier to raise 100-200 fry instead of over 300, but I still can't help but feel horrible for the little guys.

I am sorry to hear what happened. The remaining fry look really great.

I am with you on not putting cories in with fry. I did the same with my angel fry and all of my very healthy fry were gone the next day. Without a trace. It was heartbreaking.

I am with you on not putting cories in with fry. I did the same with my angel fry and all of my very healthy fry were gone the next day. Without a trace. It was heartbreaking.

:no: ugh, how horrible. I'm probably very lucky that so many babies survived. I still haven't gotten a full count because I decided to just do a 50% change and clean the tank REALLY well instead of doing 100% again... so, I'm still guessing there are 100-ish.

I'm going to throw my camera out the window...:look: Honestly, it's so dumb. The fry look so adorable, they have these gorgeous, full little caudals and tiny little anal and dorsal fins! When I shine a flashlight on them, they all look REALLY green already. And my camera totally refuses to capture their fins or coloring at all.

Meh, anyway, everybody is doing goood! We have a nice schedule down ~ in the morning, they get MW's and First Bites, in the afternoon they get MW's and tinsey bits of frozen BW or daphnia, and in the evening they get BBS... then I clean the whole tank bottom and scrub the sides, removing 1+ gallon then adding 1+ gallon of clean aged water. No pictures, but it's my camera's fault not mine. hehe

^.^ sorry I haven't updated for so long. All of the babies are in a 30 gallon grow-out now... they're getting big! In a few days, they'll be 6 weeks old. It's almost impossible to think that in 6 more weeks they will all be big enough to go off to their new Mommies and Daddies!

They're all bright, shimmery green and they all have pretty well-developed caudals, dorsals and anals. I think these guys are fairly small for their age (probably due to how massive the original size was), but they're eating like little finned pigs! I *finally* got some decent pics that capture their color and itty bitty fins. These do them NO justice, though. They are freakin adorable and already have so much personality... when I come in to feed them they all dash to the front of the tank and stare up at me. I think I'll need to start jarring soon!! ughha.

baby.jpg

madelyn048.jpg

madelyn051.jpg

madelyn043.jpg

baby2.jpg

"FEEED MEE!"
madelyn044.jpg

Great job, splashluff!

I hope you didn't mind me clarifying the cory question. It's just I see the pygmy varieties sold as egg and growout tank cleaners by very responsible and reputable dealers and breeders.

I get confused when so many people refer to Cories eating the fry and don't say which Cory species. I will breed something besides apple snails some day. My bronze are laying eggs; my appistos are coloring, I have at least one female scarlet dario dario. I would like straight factual information, you know?

Most reactions

Back