Menacer's Fishless Cycle Log

I'm going to give it till the end of this month, if i have not hit a 0 Ammonia i will go cold water i think. My Dad is screwing about heater filter air stone etc... all running day and night with no fish in the tank.

..how would coldwater help a cycle?

Also you could just leave the airstone off for the cycle, of course..

If you are really unable to get any media for seeding, the other not-too-nasty option would be a silent cycle... but that is really not recommended for beginners.

..how would coldwater help a cycle?

Also you could just leave the airstone off for the cycle, of course..

If you are really unable to get any media for seeding, the other not-too-nasty option would be a silent cycle... but that is really not recommended for beginners.

Well we kept coldwater fish when i was younger, we never had a filter or cycled the tank the fish lived for about 10 years. I got my GF a tank last year, she put fish in strait away they have not had a problem at all. (this was all before i knew about cycling) I am just really fed up with testing my water day in day out and not getting anywhere. I have nearly used up the Ammonia bottles already more ££ with no fish.

How have you used your ammonia? If you havent had a drop to 0ppm you shouldnt have added anymore since your first dosing.
Have you checked your pH?

I didnt use an airstone, just left the lid off the tank and tilted my filter output so it caused aeration by aggravating the water surface.

K

Latest tests left to right PH, High PH, Ammonia, Nitrite

Click the picture to see a bigger version!

Ive only been cycling for just under a week (same tank as you) and Im also not seeing much. The kids are getting impatient and want their fish! I must admit - Im starting to feel the same!
I do add the odd bit of Filter Start every couple of days - dont know if it does anything or not, but just thought it may help - wishful thinking?!

We're in the same boat mate ;)

Youve said your gf has a tank....has it got a filter? If so, is it cycled? If it is, put some of her filter media in your filter.
If not, where are you based? Why not post in the wanted classifieds to ask for some mature media.

Theres a lad on here called sensesfail, his fishless cycle did exactly the same thing as yours, why dont you pm him?

K

:yahoo: :clap: :- :hyper:

Fingers crossed your at the beginning of the end, once you get your first 0ppm, so long as your pH stays ok, you should find it all runs smoothly.

K

So, how did you manage to use up a whole bottle of ammonia if you haven't had a drop to 0ppm yet?

If you're getting some heat from your Dad then perhaps you need to do a "fish in cycle". It won't save him a penny, but it will give him the impression that he's actually paying for something that he can see. Obviously it's going to be much more work on your side.

If you're getting some heat from your Dad then perhaps you need to do a "fish in cycle". It won't save him a penny, but it will give him the impression that he's actually paying for something that he can see. Obviously it's going to be much more work on your side.
Then might as well go for silent cycle, it would be less harsh on the fish.

So, how did you manage to use up a whole bottle of ammonia if you haven't had a drop to 0ppm yet?

I mean the ammonia testing bottles

I really dont want to do a fish in cycle the last thing i want is unhappy fish. I have agreed an extra £5 monthly house keeping for my fish tank so it's ok now! Now it's just keeping my self from being impatient.

Most reactions

Back