Menacer's Fishless Cycle Log

What is is about these Interpet filters? (that's what you've got, right?) Over the years I just see so many of them slow out of the gate. Is anybody familiar with these? What media do they come with?

~~waterdrop~~

I have an interpet PF1 filter in my tank, it comes with Filter foam, carbon foam, and a little sample of filter pad (I believe its like the polishing pad). The brilliant bit about the filter is that you can control the aeration flow by the 'rocker' switch at the top, it can be quite noisy sometimes but doesnt bother me. The maximum flow is 380 lph. The only downside is trying to get the casing off to get to the filter media with it being all slimy/slippery from being in the water! :crazy: Its clipped in pretty tightly, and I found it difficult to press the buttons in. But apart from that I wouldnt go back to the orignal filter i had!

Hmm this guy is using a PF1 filter and no trouble :S http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/352869-fishless-cycle-add-wait-take-2/

Oh thats you little nemo, i also removed my carbon and added the polish sponge!

Dont get too down hearted, youve only been going 2 weeks - give it another week and if no changes, id do a 50% water change then retop up your ammonia to 4ppm - sometimes some nutrients can run low that your bacs need.
Whats your pH and temp doing?

K

Are you using a separate thermometer to check that your heater is getting the tank to right temperature?

You aren't quite to 3 weeks yet and I've seen a number of fishless cycles start this way, where the ammonia just sits for a full 3 weeks.

~~waterdrop~~

All I Gotta Say Is I feel you. In The Middle of my first fish-less cycle ever, sick of looking at the empty Tank! Want Fish! So I guess Just hang in there, know theres others out there doing the same Thing and Being Equally as Fed up with It! Just Keep telling my self how sucky A life those fish that go through a fish in cycle have, and also remeber how many water changes I would have to be doin if there were fish in there. As the days go by and I just keep googling the same thing "fasted fish cycle" I realise one common factor is that it just takes Time. Hang In !

-Owen

Id say its coincidence, bacteria need pretty specific conditions to live, and that's definitely not in a plastic bottle sitting on a LFS shelf! The only thing I can think of that makes the filter start products work, is that the manufacturers must add nutrients to the bottle to help the bacteria survive - and its these nutrients that give the filter bacs the head start rather than adding actual bacteria numbers. Does that make sense??

Fingers crossed you're on the go now though, once your ammonia gets to near 0ppm, add more to get it up to 4ppm and then your in the fun bit of fishless cycling!

K

Id say its coincidence, bacteria need pretty specific conditions to live, and that's definitely not in a plastic bottle sitting on a LFS shelf! The only thing I can think of that makes the filter start products work, is that the manufacturers must add nutrients to the bottle to help the bacteria survive - and its these nutrients that give the filter bacs the head start rather than adding actual bacteria numbers. Does that make sense??

Fingers crossed you're on the go now though, once your ammonia gets to near 0ppm, add more to get it up to 4ppm and then your in the fun bit of fishless cycling!

K

Thanks mate, yes that makes perfect sense ;)

Most reactions

Back