Menacer's Fishless Cycle Log

OK, when a fishless cycle doesn't respond and doesn't seem to move but most of the right things are being done then often we don't have a good answer, it may be some problem with some substance we don't know to test for, as this thing of fishless cycling has only been going on for about 20 years or so (which is young for figuring things out) and is based more on hobby science than real science. So obviously there's a lot of speculation in our comments but I'll try to make some.

I think your fishless cycle should not be considered to start until when the carbon was switched for the pad and so is a week shorter, putting you closer to 3 weeks since the start. We don't often recommend a water change this early on in a fishless cycle but I feel we should do one due to the lack of any kind of ammonia movement showing.

Here's my thought about that: Very small numbers of single-celled autotrophs (Nitrosomonas and Nitrospira) come in via the tap water. They are presumably the survivors, many of their species having been killed off by the chlorine/chloramine that the water authority puts in the pipes (I'm assuming you have city water, not well water, but small numbers of autotrophs should be in almost any water.) Once they get in your aquarium, where the water has been treated by your TapSafe they will be free to find a surface, begin to exude a biofilm and multiply. They will have had the best chance to do this on the sponge and pad in your filter because both ammonia and fresh oxygen will be moved past them constantly by the filter pump. The autotrophs live almost entirely on surfaces like this and hardly at all out in the free moving water. So when we siphon all the water out of the tank (except the filter) and replace it with fresh tap water, we raise the chance that a few more autotrophs will make it -in- to the system (the ones that have already "found" the filter will stay there through the water change. The fresh tap water will also contain some trace elements (such as calcium and magnesium etc.) which the autotrophs also use in small amounts and which are sometimes in too low a supply for them in some water systems. So a water change is not all bad (the down side of a water change, we think, is that the inevitable temperature and maybe other differences can seem to cause the bacterial activity to "pause" a little (but in your case there is hardly any sign of activity, so hey!) Turn off your filter and heater, gravel clean the water out all the way down to the gravel. Refill with water that has had the tap safe treated at about 1.5x what it tells you and with the temp matched to what it was before you took it out (about 29C/84F hopefully.) Recharge the ammonia back up to 4ppm and mix a tiny pinch of flake food back in for added complication of trace elements. Get the filter and heater running again of course. And in your log, begin including pH at least every other day or so, as well as occasional nitrate(NO3) entries. The members may be able to see a bit more info from all this.

~~waterdrop~~

The turnover is the filter flow rate.
It looks like its 500 litre/hr for the PF2.

Have you checked the filter itself to see if mechanically everything is working?
Partially lift it out of the water whilst its running and adjust the flow. Does it change the flow rate or not?
Then turn power off and take the filter apart.
Is there any debris collected in the sponges to indicate that there has been flow through them?
Is there any obvious obtruction?
Has it been assembled properly once the sponges were put in?

What other items do you have in the tank and what are they made of?

Where abouts are you and can you get some mature media from anywhere?

I would say take everything out except the gravel, 100% gravel vac water change.
Only have filter, heater, airstone, thermometer in there.
No need for lights.

Restart and check all your dosing accurately.
Good luck.

Thanks you both very much for your replies, i am going to do the water change, i have 2 plastic plants and 2 live plants i also have a small plastic tunnel thing i am not sure what it is made of though. I will chuck the live plants and keep the tunnel/plastic plants away. And complete a water change. Filter is also working correctly.

To be continued...

OH NO!!! i was in such a rush when i did the water change that i have not added any tapsafe? Can this be added when i am home? Should it be done with the water before it goes in the tank? If so its back to the gravel level and in with the water again? Will i now have nasty stuff in my filter?

It can reset you back to square one. If there is anyone there now, get them to add it.

No one there :( mind you i was at square one anyway! Maybe me and fish are not meant to be lol its becoming a disaster!

Just add the tapsafe to the tank when you get back home......

starting to feel a little like you, am Im only on Day 11, but not seeing ammonia drop much!

lol - funny how its going slow for us both and we both have the same tank?
Wondering if its our filters?
I took the carbon out straight away and replaced with another foam, and polishing cloth. So I have a foam on each side, along with the polishing cloth at the very end. Not sure if it will make a difference or not though!

Some pics of my tank here....... http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/355936-my-tank-pics-inside/

Have you tried finding some mature media in your area??

K

Looks nice lfti, kporteo my gf is getting some new media soon so i will take hers ;)

Lucky! No one in my area to give me media :(
Looks like it's the best way to go though, so if you can get some media, go for it!

Yeh thanks lfti hope you manage to get hold of some to ;)

Lucky! No one in my area to give me media :(
Looks like it's the best way to go though, so if you can get some media, go for it!
Checked the donors list? Even some through the post would be ok if the sender packs it like fish (with water and air, so it can slosh around on the way) and it takes only 1-2 days.

Most reactions

Back