5 weeks into cycle - No nitrites or nitrates

So, where is the ammonia going if no nitrite is produced at the moment ?

It is frustrating, how can a company have copyrights on bacteria that occurs naturally in nature? I use Stability and it advertises it contains a mixture of aerobic, anaerobic and facultative bacteria which facilitate the breakdown of waste organics, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.
I think it's a copyright on how to make it stay active in a bottle. I read an article awhile back that said there was another company that used to sell the bacteria, but it had to be refrigerated. Apparently Tetra bought the company and then found a way to make it stay active without refrigeration.

I guess one could have a bunch of sponge filters in a tank with the bacteria and sell them, but I think the buyer would have to run right home and put the sponge in a tank to keep them from dying.

Dr Tim Hovanec discovered the species of nitrite eaters which grow in aquariums while he was working for Marineland. Both Marineland and Dr Hovanec hold the copyright. Dr Hovanec left Marineland and set up his own company so that company holds the copyright. Marineland was taken over by Tetra so Tetra holds the copyright.

Here is a list of patents Dr Hovanec holds

Most reactions

Back