How many believe that a form of life could exist elsewhere in the universe?

Apparently Venus has more volcanoes, many of them active, than Earth does, so that ain't going to be much good as a Bezos lifeboat ;)

Earth has 1500 active volcanoes, of which at least 47 are currently "farting" to some extent...both undersea and landbased.

The most dangerous semi active volcano covers most of Yellowstone....the geysers indicate that it is actually active. If it were to blow fully, not alot of the surrounding area would exist.

When Mt St Helens blew in 1980, the eruption knocked the Earth off its axis, this happened again when White Island, Krakatoa and Eyjafjallajökull blew their respective tops in the more recent history.

Now given that the Earth core is molten and has cycles of movement under the tectonic plates that occasionally escapes via the volcanoes, the planet on which we are camped out on is in charge.....not humans.

There have been 5 ice ages....the first recorded as 3 billion years ago (long before the industrial revolution) the last being 2 million years ago (again long before the industrial revolution) and thus long before humans produced engines.

There have been 5 mass extinctions...Ordovician-silurian Extinction: 440 million years ago, Devonian Extinction: 365 million years ago, Permian-triassic Extinction: 250 million years ago, Triassic-jurassic Extinction: 210 million years ago and Cretaceous-tertiary Extinction: 65 Million Years Ago.

Therefore it is safe to say that we humans are not significant enough in the Earth's many issues to cause or indeed succeed in another mass extinction nor are we capable of starting or controlling global warming. The Earth is its very own master of ceremonies in that department and we will become extinct long before the Earth either reheats excessively or freezes into another Ice Age.

(A sixth mass extinction is overdue....and I know that to some people that cannot come soon enough)
I would be more than happy to disscuss the views that you bring up but it may be better if these discussions became seperate threads as adding to the current would totally disrupt this current discussion.

LOL! Is that an invite to expand this thread to different areas? Actually, if any wanted to get into such things as global warming and/or magnetic field shifts it should be in other threads...
I'm with you on the magnetic field. There is evidence from undersea lava flows that freeze the field direction as they solidify over millennia. I can't recall if there is evidence that such a shift will temporarily cause radiation from the sun to fry us all? In other words, is there a null, or reduction in the field when it reverses, and if so, for how long?

I'm with you on the magnetic field. There is evidence from undersea lava flows that freeze the field direction as they solidify over millennia. I can't recall if there is evidence that such a shift will temporarily cause radiation from the sun to fry us all? In other words, is there a null, or reduction in the field when it reverses, and if so, for how long?
I really think that we should take this to another thread to avoid totally disrupting this thread. I am currently in the process of making a thread about global warming and will follow with one on magnetic shifts.

I really think that we should take this to another thread to avoid totally disrupting this thread. I am currently in the process of making a thread about global warming and will follow with one on magnetic shifts.
Yes, please make two separate ones. Being a protagonist and antagonist simultaneously just tears me apart inside.

Wow... 4 pages and its only been a day. Pretty sweet.

Now if there was intelligent life out there, the big question for civilians of earth and the governments is, are they friendlies? It would suck if we sent out a message that they somehow got (who knows, aliens could be years ahead of us or years behind us) and it was christopher colomubus with the "Indians" (native Americans) except were the Indians possibly...
Then how would governments on earth be affected? Would laws have to be changed on our planet? How would we be affected as an earthly culture rather than Country cultures?

Messages into space have been sent over the years

And one time we humans thought they replied but sadly it was just a glitch in the equipment and not a response from somewhere "out there"

My take on it is that given the vastness of space and the countless myriad solar systems and planets out there, that intelligent life has/does/will exist elsewhere in the Universe. However, it is that very vastness that ensures that no two intelligent races will ever inhabit the same temporal and/or spatial sphere.

I often wonder what life on earth will be like in 500 years. Will will destroy ourselves? Will climate change destroy us? Time will tell.

There have been 5 ice ages....the first recorded as 3 billion years ago (long before the industrial revolution) the last being 2 million years ago (again long before the industrial revolution) and thus long before humans produced engines.
The last ice age ended 10,000 years ago

I read a new study that says there are four advanced alien civilizations in the Milky Way. ALL to be considered hostile. We should not be sending probes with info of where to find us. Could they be worse than Putin?

Most reactions

Back