George's Journal

Well, in my LFS in IL, the plant expert looked at me really funny when I asked for Nitrates, so vestiges of the dark ages of plant care still exist in the US. :lol:

Too bad about your BGA, I hope the black out works for you. Still think you should get the scuba diver. or perhaps the sunken galleon, very nice with the lotus, I think.

Well, in my LFS in IL, the plant expert looked at me really funny when I asked for Nitrates, so vestiges of the dark ages of plant care still exist in the US. :lol:

Too bad about your BGA, I hope the black out works for you. Still think you should get the scuba diver. or perhaps the sunken galleon, very nice with the lotus, I think.
Yes, I think the whole macro dosing philosophy is still quite cutting edge in this world. I suppose as a whole the high-lighting and CO2 injected tanks are still in the minority and therefore adding nitrates etc. is totally irrelevant.

Good news.

The blackout has worked perfectly. Not a trace of any BGA, in fact the tank looks almost flawless in terms of plant health.

The lily has sent leaves up 3 or 4” in the darkness and the leaves themselves have even grown. The glosso leaves are all standing to attention as if straining to get some light. I’m sure there’s a scientific reason behind this plant behaviour. Any ideas, are the plants just exhausting their internal reserves?

The sag looks fine, a little paler than normal but still healthy. The Anubias is looking spot on, the bit of algae that was there has disappeared and the moss looks ok, no real change.

My Java fern is spotless, no trace of BGA or any other algae (I was seeing tiny GSA and BBA symptoms).

I plan on a 50% water change and filter clean tonight followed by a new KNO3 dosing regime of 1/3 teaspoon every other day (dry dosing). This should keep my NO3 levels up and hopefully prevent a BGA re-occurance.

I’ll post a photo later if I get a chance.

Happy days!

That's great gf! Glad to know that the blackout worked. Keep us posted with a picture! My croaking gouramis are breeding! Sorry, being randomn.

Happy days!

As far as the macro dosing philosophy is concerned, it makes total sense. Why would aquatic plants have completely different needs from terrestrial plants? I dose Nitrogen, Potassium, Phospates, and countless other things to keep my houseplants healthy. I'm probably looking at this too simply, but the concept is logical. Raising vulcan eyebrow.

Again, wonderful news for your tank. I may try a black out if the new dosing doesn't curtail my algae. I have a lot less BGA right now, it's mostly the easier bright green stuff on the glass, which is tolerable. And my glosso isn't covered, so the dosing is starting to work. Still don't have the levels of Nitrogen I want, but baby steps. I don't want to hurt my fish.

YEAH!!! GF!! :band: Because if you had a serious algae problem, there would be no hope left more me.

Thank you lljdma.

My croaking gouramis are breeding! Happy days!
Congratulations - did they make a lot of noise?

As far as the macro dosing philosophy is concerned, it makes total sense. Why would aquatic plants have completely different needs from terrestrial plants?
The main difference is the potential abundance of algae in an aquatic environment. It's true that nitrates and phosphates are algae nutrients, just as they are plant nutrients. The key is providing the ideal environment to grow the plants, this then takes care of the algae. One can only "get away" with dosing loads of nitrates and phosphates in the aquatic environment if the conditions support rapid plant growth i.e. lots of light and CO2. I am actually slightly concerned that some may be reading selected texts regarding dosing N and P assume that all planted tanks need it. This is far from the truth - only dosing in a high-growth environment is justifiable.

I don't think algae's such an issue on land.

Because if you had a serious algae problem, there would be no hope left more me.
If I had a serious algae problem and couldn't shake it then I'd leave this hobby! Algae for me is the best sign there is that something aint right.

Neglect + plants = Algae

Here's a quick snap for you.

Good news.

The blackout has worked perfectly. Not a trace of any BGA, in fact the tank looks almost flawless in terms of plant health.

The lily has sent leaves up 3 or 4” in the darkness and the leaves themselves have even grown. The glosso leaves are all standing to attention as if straining to get some light. I’m sure there’s a scientific reason behind this plant behaviour. Any ideas, are the plants just exhausting their internal reserves?

The sag looks fine, a little paler than normal but still healthy. The Anubias is looking spot on, the bit of algae that was there has disappeared and the moss looks ok, no real change.

My Java fern is spotless, no trace of BGA or any other algae (I was seeing tiny GSA and BBA symptoms).

I plan on a 50% water change and filter clean tonight followed by a new KNO3 dosing regime of 1/3 teaspoon every other day (dry dosing). This should keep my NO3 levels up and hopefully prevent a BGA re-occurance.

I’ll post a photo later if I get a chance.

Happy days!

i think your right in that they grow out using existing reserves. but i think they do it to spread out as much as pos to find/soke up what ever light there is!

Hey George

That lilly looks grate :thumbs: Just a quick Q though how long was the black out for?

GF,

this is a newbie question:

What is that substrate you are using called, and where can i find out more about it!?

Just a quick question..did the blackout effect the fish at all? Or were they perfectly fine?

Good news !

algae is really a PITA,I totally agree with the high light high ferts thing! My tank recently just went thru a week without co2 because it ran out ! turned of 50 percent of my lighting an no fert dosing, seemed to work, no excessive algae growth noticed.

anyway goodluck with the PFK article !

GF,

this is a newbie question:

What is that substrate you are using called, and where can i find out more about it!?
My substrate is a mix of Dennerle Deponit and black quartz. I bought it from here - http://www.newleafaquarium.com/frameset.html

It is a good substrate but when I perform my stripdown later this year I will probably change to ADA Aqua Soil (Amazonia). This is reasonably priced and can be used on its own. It's widely regarded as one of the best substrates out there at the moment.

Just a quick question..did the blackout effect the fish at all? Or were they perfectly fine?
The fish were fine. They seemed more active than normal when lighting resumed, probably happy to see again!

Good news !

algae is really a PITA,I totally agree with the high light high ferts thing! My tank recently just went thru a week without co2 because it ran out ! turned of 50 percent of my lighting an no fert dosing, seemed to work, no excessive algae growth noticed.

anyway goodluck with the PFK article !
Thanks Kenneth. Glad the reduction of light and nutrients worked, as you know it's all about the balance.

PFK magazine are running a photo contest - so I thought I'd experiment with some close-ups as my whole tank isn't good enough IMO.

Interestingly you're allowed to manipulate the images so I've been practising a little. Here's a close-up of my lily. I've intensified the red a little and removed some pearling bubbles from the background.

It's not as good as it could be as I'm not experienced with macros and my camera is cheap. I also have areally old image editing software package that I've never really used before now.

What do you think?

Most reactions

Back