George's Journal

I'm also tempted to go for a new substrate.

I think it'll look a lot better when the lily has filled out, but sadly its not your best mate. I hear there is a good tropical shop in Port Stanley, seemingly they do a great line of dayglo gravel and skulls, perhaps you could stock up prior to your return. :p

I hear there is a good tropical shop in Port Stanley, seemingly they do a great line of dayglo gravel and skulls, perhaps you could stock up prior to your return. :p
Now there's an idea. Just think, all that wonderful colour without the hassle of plants. We could create a whole new style of aquascaping, "anti-nature" or something similar. :rofl:

I hear there is a good tropical shop in Port Stanley, seemingly they do a great line of dayglo gravel and skulls, perhaps you could stock up prior to your return. :p
Now there's an idea. Just think, all that wonderful colour without the hassle of plants. We could create a whole new style of aquascaping, "anti-nature" or something similar. :rofl:

Or chrome everywhere and call it the "Urban Jungle". Or burnt ruins and call it the Apocalypse. Personally, I think your tank could benefit from a neon yellow scuba diver suspended over a treasure chest. Of course, bubbles are a must, but only if they don't reduce your CO2 output. Just a thought. You know you want to. Or how 'bout a ceramic sign ala "No Fishing" that says "Please do not walk on the Grass". :lol:

Bad news.

Upon inspection of my planting during weekly maintenance I noticed some more minor BGA amongst some Java fern leaves. This is the third time I've experienced this is as many months so I've decided to take the blackout route. This is what I've done -

60% water change, removing affected leaves
Added 800mg Maracyn
Added 20ppm NO3
Covered tank in 3 layers of newspaper, tape and a blanket
Unplugged lighting

Blackout started 10pm last night (Monday 20th Feb) so I'm assuming I should uncover on Friday morning.

What concerns me is the cause. I'm sure I'm dosing enough KNO3, have plenty of circulation and minimal natural light. I'm considering upping my KNO3 dosing next week after the next water change, 10ppm NO3 every other day.

Any thoughts (zig or anyone else)?

George i would say its no3 related, how much have you been dosing up to now? I would say with the size of the fern 3x10 ppm would definatly be needed, ferns are nitrate hungry, I find Glosso also uses quite a lot of no3 quickly.

George i would say its no3 related, how much have you been dosing up to now? I would say with the size of the fern 3x10 ppm would definatly be needed, ferns are nitrate hungry, I find Glosso also uses quite a lot of no3 quickly.
Cheers mate.

I assume my blackout technique seems ok to you?

Cheers mate.

I assume my blackout technique seems ok to you?

3 full days is normal for the blackout with another 50% water change immeaditaly afterwards and add the KNO3 into the tank again. I would probably have cleaned the filter as well before you started the blackout, but i would'nt unduly worry about this if you did'nt do it, with the Maracyn addition and the blackout i think the tank will be nuked.

Good luck with it

Thanks again. I'll do a filter clean with the water change post-blackout.

I'm also going to try dry dosing my KNO3.

BTW read the March PFK for a laugh. Apparently we should all be using nitrate and phosphate removal products to achieve undetectable levels. Even if we have 3ppm NO3 this is far too much! Perhaps this is the cause of my BGA – and my bum has no hole! :lol:

Wow. Is that why all of our tanks look horrible? I knew he had to be doing something wrong. I'm soo glad you brought this to our attention George. :shifty:

Thanks again. I'll do a filter clean with the water change post-blackout.

I'm also going to try dry dosing my KNO3.

BTW read the March PFK for a laugh. Apparently we should all be using nitrate and phosphate removal products to achieve undetectable levels. Even if we have 3ppm NO3 this is far too much! Perhaps this is the cause of my BGA – and my bum has no hole! :lol:

If we were trying to keep a marine tank algae free fair point. :D

Oh dear when will they come into the land of the living!

Oh dear when will they come into the land of the living!
During my 4 months away I intend writing an article (or series) for PFK on high-tech planted tank principles i.e. use of full-spectrum fluorescent lighting, pressurized CO2, dry ferts (EI) and substrates etc. Who knows, if they publish then it may have some positive influence of the UK hobby?

I think PFK and its current planted articles are just a reflection of the UK's general school of thought with regards the hobby. Go into 99% of aquatic shops and they will all try to tell you the same, nitrates and phosphates cause algae. You should have seen the guys face in this shop when I told him I add phosphate to my tank to get rid of algae on my Anubias - he must have thought I was on drugs (I wasn't - I promise)!

The trouble is the hobby hasn't taken off over here like it has in the US and other countries. I don't know why, the reefkeeping hobby seems to dominate the more "exclusive" elements i.e. people with plenty of cash to spare.

Currently the only real decent UK high-tech tanks out there are hidden away on forums like this and until they are brought forward more into the public eye then I doubt the hobby at this "higher" level will ever take off. However, I do I believe PFK has the ability to be the ideal platform with which to raise the high-tech's profile. This is why I want to write this article (or series).

Howver, I do think slowly but surely the hobby is becoming more widely recognised . With dedicated planted shops stocking the latest gear like Aqua Essentials it can only help the hobby over here. Long may this process continue and long may the dedicated, forward-thinking few carry on in this most wonderful hobby. Spread the word, planted tanks are the future!

Most reactions

Back