Fishless Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been cycling for 2 weeks now and the ammonia is processing in at least 24 hours.
For 2 days now the nitrate test has been going purple as soon as it hits the water,i presume this means off the scale,and it ends up a weird greeny purple colour.But today when i tested the water the ammonia is about .50.I will just carry on bringing it up to 3 or 4 but a bit perplexed as to why the ammonia hasnt fully gone this morning.

I can't offer an explanation, but can say you're not alone.
I'm currently cycling two tanks, and one of them (240l, heavily planted) has shown the same as you recently - no idea why.
On the plus side, as of last night, both tanks seem to have finished cycling at the same time - it's fish time!

Just a quick update on my tank:

finished fishless cycle finally - took 4 weeks and 1 day! I purchased some aeriators and after running constantly for 3 days i noticed my nitrites were falling, within 12 hours they dropped to 0.

I added ammonia and to raise the level to just under 2 mg/l and tested for nitrites the follwing morning, both nitrites and ammoina were 0. (10 hours later)

This was a few days ago, i have now done a 80% water change, lowered the tank temp and stocked 6 xray tetra.

Thank god thats over lol!

Hello all

I am a complete novice so please have patience with me. I have been fishless cycling my tank for nearly 4 weeks now. It contains gravel, some slate, just 2 small live plants the rest artificial. I have an undergravel filter. Temp is between 76 - 78. I have not been using ammonia but purchased a 'start up kit for new tanks' and have been adding the filter start as directed . I have also been putting some fish flakes in.

My test results are as follows:-

PH = 8

Carbonate hardness = 6

General hardness = 14

Nitrite = 5 mg

Nitrate = 50 mg

So how am i doing and do you think it will be lmuch onger until I can add my fish? Also I have read on here about having to do a large water change befor adding fish? -_-

Hello all

I am a complete novice so please have patience with me. I have been fishless cycling my tank for nearly 4 weeks now. It contains gravel, some slate, just 2 small live plants the rest artificial. I have an undergravel filter. Temp is between 76 - 78. I have not been using ammonia but purchased a 'start up kit for new tanks' and have been adding the filter start as directed . I have also been putting some fish flakes in.

My test results are as follows:-

PH = 8

Carbonate hardness = 6

General hardness = 14

Nitrite = 5 mg

Nitrate = 50 mg

So how am i doing and do you think it will be lmuch onger until I can add my fish? Also I have read on here about having to do a large water change befor adding fish? -_-
Hi Gilli: RD usually tells people that temp of high 80s or even low 90s will help to speed bacterial reproduction. Your temp sounds too low, but it does sound like you are getting both types of bacteria which is a great sign. Usual rough estimates written here are that whole process can take up to 6 weeks. Actual times are all over the place because people do different things and cycle can get stalled.
Consider yourself lucky, I'm at 17 days and can't even get any ammonia processed to nitrite hardly at all!

Flakes are hard to cycle with as you can't get a good feel for how much it takes to raise the pH to 3 or 4 ppm. I'm not certain what was in the start up kit but the bacteria in a bottle products are pretty useless. I would also suggest you get rid of the strips and get a good liquid test kit that tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Your 5-in-1 strips don't test ammonia and it's pretty much impossible to cycle a tank without an ammonia test kit. And the large water change is to lower the nitrate which will be very high at the end of a fishless cycle.

Thank you to everyone that answered my post. Do I need to do water changes during the fishless cycling and if so how much and how often please?

No need for WCs during a fishless cycle unless your pH starts to drop into the low 6s as that can stall things. It also sometimes help to do a large one when the nitrite gets so high just to get it down a little and speed things up.

One possible exception is Bio Spira. I have personally not used this product but most things I have read suggest it works IF it has been handled properly (always refrigerated). Only purchase it from a reputable source that you trust.

Biospira definitely works, great for emergencies, I wish I saw more about on here. In small tanks the nitrates spike within 24hours and do require a water change, then you're good, also you need to use the whole pouch and shake it up to get the full compliment of bacteria going, you cant use part and save it for later

I am trying to cycle by degrading fish food daily! Reading these posts it looks like it would be easier to apply liquid ammonia...anyway..still learning a little more every day. Could someone PLEESE clarify which is more toxic/dangerous to fish...Nit rates.. or Nit rites..this is the most confusing part for me at the moment.

NitrIte is definitely more dangerous. It is the second phase of the nitrogen cycle and a product of ammonia being oxidized. It is just as deadly as ammonia. NitrAte is only harmful at high levels The exact level of toxicity is not really know but some studies show levels as high as 400 ppm aren't a problem.

And as you mentioned, cycling wih ammonia is much easier than fish flakes (and less messy). You can control the ammonia you are adding and it is in the tank instantly rather than over a period of time as the food breaks down.

NitrIte is definitely more dangerous. It is the second phase of the nitrogen cycle and a product of ammonia being oxidized. It is just as deadly as ammonia. NitrAte is only harmful at high levels The exact level of toxicity is not really know but some studies show levels as high as 400 ppm aren't a problem.

And as you mentioned, cycling wih ammonia is much easier than fish flakes (and less messy). You can control the ammonia you are adding and it is in the tank instantly rather than over a period of time as the food breaks down.

Thanks for that answer mate...looks like I am in for the long haul for the method of ammonia cycling I have chosen. No problem though as I can have more time researching and learning what I can as a total tropical fish noob. So you lads and lasses out there.....keep your tips/advice and pearls of wisdom coming.

This may seem a stupid question..but is Ammonia only dangerous to fish when it has been chemically changed to nitrates/nitrites by whatever processes that occur during the nitrogen cycle?

Once ammonia has been changed, it isn't ammonia any more so there isn't a danger except from the nitrite that results. Once the nitrite has been converted into nitrate, it isn't a problem either. In a cycled tank, ammonia and nitrite will always be zero. Technically, there is always a trace amount of both in the tank but those levels are so low it isn't a problem.

I've beeb cycling for 5 weeks now and my ammonia has been going in under 24 hours for ages.Well a few days ago my nitrite had gone as well so i thought i was almost cycled but for some reason my ammonia isnt coming down now... its at about 1 or 2.Idid a small waterchange this morning to see if this would kick start it.I spose its just a matter of waiting now

As a basic beginner I used the bio spira product on my 1st tropical tank in January-2008. I have had all kinds of problems since then, lost alot of fish after I set up using bio-spira and have had Ich on almost each occasion I have introduced new fish. Currently treating for it now.
I have just started a new 65 gallon tank. I am using the fishless cycle, and am hoping to eventually transfer the fish from my other aquarium to the new one ( after the cycle is complete and I completely remove the Ich problem)
My questions at this time is my Ammonia is around 4 or 5 PPM. I am waiting for the cycling process to begin. My question is Can I add any live plants to my new aquarium during this cycling process ? Will the 5 PPM of Ammonia kill the plants ? If Not, What type of plants are best ? and lastly, if Plants can be added will it speed up the cycling ?
Thanks everyone for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back