Any Star Gazers...?

ShinySideUp said:
I don't think anyone is getting offensive or aereated over the subject matter, I think all the comments so far have been reasoned and eloquently put. So to continue...

In the states, people can be very aggressive about religion, that's just in my experiences, I just don't want people to feel offended, because this is a very, very touchy subject. I don't want people to feel as though that I'm attacking whatever religious beliefs they have. That's all. 

I've had grown men threaten my life because I told them I wasn't a Christian anymore... people can get crazy.

Indeed so. While my views on religion are pretty much in line with Richard Dawkins I like to think I have a better grasp of empathy with the other side, although I do find myself unable to understand their religious beliefs. I am very much a logician and logically a greater god cannot exist. Where did it come from, what is it's purpose, why does it not get bored being all-knowing, is it just playing a game? it just isn't logical.

Unsubstantiated belief is beyond me, and beyond my understanding.

What could possibly happen to an intelligent person to make them suspend all practical experience and logic to believe in life after death or a great, everlasting heaven, when we know that all things die, even universes, eventually.

When I'm dead I'm dead. The atoms that compose my body will disperse, given time, throughout the Universe and in some ways I may become part of another star, another world or even another being.

Almost every item in this picture is a galaxy, why would I ever need a god?

image_1967e-Hubble-Ultra-Deep-Field-2014.jpg

I'll not comment any more here as I have made all the points I can, I thank you all for your restraint and reasoned opinions.

Regards

Martin

RainboWBacoN420 said:
I've had grown men threaten my life because I told them I wasn't a Christian anymore... people can get crazy.
That is not the character of true Christians trying to be like Jesus...

HarpyFishLover said:
My only issue with evolutionists is that they present evolution as if they know it is true. It is pure speculation.
It's really not; the evidence for evolution is overwhelming. Whether the actual process is by Darwinian natural selection, sexual selection, genetic drift, or a combination of them all (or even some currently unknown, undiscovered mechanism; perhaps even a god; who knows; although I'm a hardcore atheist, I do keep an open mind, and would change if I had good evidence) has yet to be discovered for certain, but actual evolution (that is, change over time due to genetic variation in populations) is a demonstrated fact.

Most reactions

Back