18" Cube Journal

After a few hours playing with the durso Mod with little joy still slurps like mad.

Time to try a new approach has anyone tried the stockman standpipe?

how have you got the durso set up?

pics of the top, and into the sump would be good.

have you got too much flow going through it, that can have a big effect on the noise.
if needs be, put a T-branch off your return pump pipe so that some goes back into the first chamber of the sump. add a valve above the T. this way you can regulate how much goes back into the display/over the wier/and down your durso.

Rob

how have you got the durso set up?

pics of the top, and into the sump would be good.

have you got too much flow going through it, that can have a big effect on the noise.
if needs be, put a T-branch off your return pump pipe so that some goes back into the first chamber of the sump. add a valve above the T. this way you can regulate how much goes back into the display/over the wier/and down your durso.

Rob

Thats the only thing I did nt try was to reduce the flow into the tank, hmm better pop into the LFS on the way home to pick up a new tap to try. I am guessing the tap goes on the pipe that leads back into the sump so you do not add resistance to the water flow from the pump?

I have enough pipe to make a stockman so might makes as well see what the diffrences are :)

Thanks Rob.

Btw can you add me to the list for macro algae please :) I will be looking for some in 4 - 5 weeks for this tank ;)

always got loads of algae at the moment as no-one wanted any the other week so ended up chucking it on the garden!

you're welcome any time to come and get some or i could drop some into you.

as for the durso.....

you need to put a T in between your return pump and the pipe back to your main display. This will stop any extra pressure getting put onto the motor of your return pump as teh excess just goes straight back into the sump again.

the tap then goes above the T.

like this:

IMG_1650.jpg

DO NOT put the tap on your durso as the water will back up into your display and you'll end up with a very wet floor!!
Rob

Thats what I thought will give it a try i can always pump it straight back to the Refegium as this is only turning over 2 to 3 times an hour :)

I think you should do a step by step tutorial on the LED lighting Morri. I was entertaining the idea of making my own light unit too. :good:

It is quiet easy with some basic soldering skills,

I went for the easy option at this stage by using a simple dial to control the lights.

I did a litle maths on power used for these and it works out 1 unit of power every other day so it would be 15 x (your Kwh rate) for a months use we pay 22p a unit and that is £3.30 a month.

Its a shame I cannot get a PAR meter for the numbers but I will try a few SPS frags to see how they fair under these lights but compared to my TL550 these lights are much much brighter.

After trying both standpipes and not getting the results I wanted, lots of surlping.

So I decided to try a few thngs myself with great results.

I Cut a piece of pipe the length needed then experimented with little holes all the way up the pipe (1 hole at the time)

This produced a very quiet non slurping feed there was still some noise. I inserted an airline about 10" into the pipe and silence the only noise now from the tank is the water over flowing the baffles not much I can do with that.

I have another minor issue now with air bubbles in the refegium I have a bubble tower on the other side and the bubbles are dealt with as expected is there a way to sort these out without making another bubble tower?

So after lots of hardwork we finaly have salt water in this tank (not full as LFS ran out of RO!!!) but tank is ready.

Attachments

• FTS.jpg
    FTS.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 105
  • sump1.jpg
    sump1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Sump2.jpg
    Sump2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 85
Thanks managed to win a skimmer from flea bay so hopefully have that tuesday.

LR needs to be picked up hopefully tuesday as well.

Very pleased with the Sump LED built very easy running temp tests at the mo on all LEDs

And have done the maths on running all the LEDs and fans its about £3.30 a month at 22p a unit

Oh how i wish you lived close to me..............I would be camped out on your doorstep begging you to make me some lights :blush:

Seffie x

Oh how i wish you lived close to me..............I would be camped out on your doorstep begging you to make me some lights :blush:

Seffie x

Meh <Face Palm> just installed the Koralia thought it was a 1 but nope
its a nano

So guess its time for a second one :(

Most reactions

Back