18" Cube Journal

The LED arrays are very easy to be honest I have 6 spare whites I am using for the same purpose if you are not in a rush for them I am sure I can help you and I will add them to my build plan.

Yes Seffie they are stunning would be the only fish in the tank :)

Wil be speaking to the LFS about getting my a pair of something small ;)

The LED arrays are very easy to be honest I have 6 spare whites I am using for the same purpose if you are not in a rush for them I am sure I can help you and I will add them to my build plan.

Yes Seffie they are stunning would be the only fish in the tank :)

Wil be speaking to the LFS about getting my a pair of something small ;)

cheers would appreciate that.
to be honest you seem to have done such a good job with your current build, i'd pay you to make me an array for my sump!

Hehe thank theres no need to pay, been working out a little sump build lamp with a single heatsink not sure if i can get away without a fan, Hmm have acrylic left over might end up over enginerring the sump lamp but hey its all part of the fun ;)

i know what you mean.
i love tinkerring and designing stuff, but actually building it is another matter entirely. (esp. electrics!)

if i came up with some rough measurements would you be able to point me in the right direction of what i would need to get?

Where you hiding Morri, haven't seen you in a couple of days?

Seffie x

:fish:

Had a family weekend thingy mother got married so been away but found some time to do some jobs on the cube hood is looking great now and have started the lamp for the sump will post some picies tommorrow night :)

Project has slowed down a bit have a few things on so trying to juggle everything hopefully will have my sump friday so will need to run some more wet tests check durso etc.

Hood is built need to finalise LED mounting plan.

Quick hood shots :)

Attachments

• DSC01311.JPG
    DSC01311.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC01312.JPG
    DSC01312.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 87
Quick question I should hopefully have my sump this week I have a refegium in it 16" x 8" x 14" my orignal plan was for a DSB 6" with macro algae and some LR bits

In here I will add copepods and rotifers.

I have seen miracle mud bounded about would this be better or would i be better to forget the DSB and just add some sand LR with Macro Algae?

Just after a few ideas before I invest in sand etc.

If i go down the DSB route do I add CuC to the refegium to turn the sand over etc. Also what size sand is best for a DSB I believe its a fine size so you get it into an anarobic state?

Thanksi In advance

Morri

Quick question I should hopefully have my sump this week I have a refegium in it 16" x 8" x 14" my orignal plan was for a DSB 6" with macro algae and some LR bits

In here I will add copepods and rotifers.

I have seen miracle mud bounded about would this be better or would i be better to forget the DSB and just add some sand LR with Macro Algae?

Just after a few ideas before I invest in sand etc.

If i go down the DSB route do I add CuC to the refegium to turn the sand over etc. Also what size sand is best for a DSB I believe its a fine size so you get it into an anarobic state?

Thanksi In advance

Morri

IMO i'd go down the Macro algae route with a bit of LR and a 1" sand bed. Just personal opinion but i did alot of reading and question asking when i set mine up as i was gonna go down the DSB route, and i decided that i would need to redisign my entire sump layout to get the best out of it.

If you do go down the DSB route, you need to use fine sand as you've said (think they call it oolite?), depending on how much you need i might have some in the garage.

they also need 'feeding'. so its good to have the down pipe from your display stright into the DSB area.
They also need reasonable flow and no lighting.

i wouldn't have CUC in there as they will remove some of the food that the organsims need to thrive. You want to have a thin layer of LR rubble (and i mean rubble) over the surface of the DSB.
The idea is for the organisms to live in the sand and turn it over, this action draws down water into the anaerobic areas of the DSB where the nitrate etc. is broken down.

think i've got that right anyway?

anyone interested in DSBs should read this IMO:
http://www.reef-eden.net/DSBs.htm

Rob

I was thinking it might be over kill for the main tank I will most probably go for 1 inch sand some LR and macro algae.

The sump has been designed to do about 3 or 4 times water turn over in the refegium then the rest into the skimmer compartment.

Not sure on "Miracle Mud" I think the macro algae should be more than adaquate.

I was thinking it might be over kill for the main tank I will most probably go for 1 inch sand some LR and macro algae.

The sump has been designed to do about 3 or 4 times water turn over in the refegium then the rest into the skimmer compartment.

Not sure on "Miracle Mud" I think the macro algae should be more than adaquate.

yeah you've also got to look at the price of MM, its pretty steep!

though i have heard good things from people who use it in conjunction with mangrove plants and get good results.

Just returned home from my friday shopping trip and my sump is now ready to go so now I have to complete the LEDs and the plumbing, Argghhhh too much to do :)

If I do LEDs again I will change my methodolgy slightly as my choosen method is quite a slow process will post piccies later.

A little more progress today here are both my LED holders one for main tank one for sump.

Attachments

• P1010331.JPG
    P1010331.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 73

Most reactions

Back