12L Micro Tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mine came in today too! Woohoo...

I got a surprise, but not the one I was expecting (oh, sorry to hijack for a wee while!)...

I got my special delivery this morning and the postie came in with a box wrapped in 2 clear bags...that's not how it usually comes, I thought. Yup, on closer inspection, the box was soaking through and so I feared the worst. Even before I opened it, the postie gave me a complaint/compensation form and told me to fill it in. Here's what the 'package' looked like:

Easishrimp Del_2.jpg
Easishrimp Del_4.jpg

Needless to say, I was quite annoyed especially to find one of the bags completely drained of water replete with 8/9 lifeless looking shrimp. Yes, you guessed it, the one with the more expensive blue jellys...dry bag:

Easishrimp Del_5.jpg

I thought I'd just open the bag and try to get the poor boogers into some water anyway to see if any of them were still clinging on. Guess what? They were all still alive!!! Look!

Blue Jelly Shrimp.jpg

I had no choice but to whack them straight into the tank without acclimating them so it's still early doors and I'll need to keep my eye on them, but, holy moly they survived a bloody ordeal and a half!

This is one of the bigger chaps...

Wee Blue Jelly Guy.jpg

The White Pearls were all still sealed up in their bag so they were fine to float for a while in the tank.

White Pearl Shrimp.jpg

Quite the morning, quite the morning, indeed!

Wow fm what a story!  I hope your blue jellies make it - poor little things!

I checked out the shrimp at my LFS this morning.  The blue jellies were nothing special, tiny things and not much colour.  But the blue fantasies - wow - absolutely gorgeous!  A deep blue hue to die for, unfortunately they only had two in stock and I wasn't going to spend £20 on two shrimp I'll probably never see because they're lonely and hiding! :lol:

I guess that's the price tag you pay for seeing what you buy in advance.  

Pics of your new shrimp please Mama!  Does the original look like he has coloured up in comparison to the new batch?

I've just realised those Blue Fantasies are the same shrimp that Mama originally saw on Shrimpland.  I think it may even be them that supplied my LFS.  So, having seen them in the flesh now £6 per shrimp direct from Shrimpland is looking a lot more attractive!  I can't figure out how much they charge for shipping though.  Is it free?

**Ah no worries, I figured it, £9 for shipping!

Sounds like just another supplier-specific nickname given to the strong blue colour variation of the blue cherries; Phantom, Fantasy etc.

If they're Blue Bolts, get them, get them all!

I believe the ones from Shrimpland are called Blue Velvet/Blue Dream and they do look darker, but then again so did the one in the advert for the Blue Phantoms I've got. They are all a very similar colour to each other - still pale blue.
I'm going to get in touch to ask what he normally feeds his on - he told me any shrimp food or algae wafer would do, but I'd love to get them to the darker blue if I can. It may just be that they are still growing. I have tried both shrimp pellets and algae wafers and they don't seem bothered with either but are grazing on something on the plants and the moss carpet mesh is very popular. A few fronds are growing so hopefully it won't all be eaten before it matures.
What are Blue Bolts?

Just found some - wow! They are expensive and hard to care for apparently - that would be where the R.O water and additives come in I guess.
Have you got some, fm?

They are called Blue Velvet / Blue Dream in the title but if you look further down it says the common name is Fantasy Blue Shrimp.
http://www.shrimpland.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Blue-V&CartID=1

And the two shrimp I saw today were exactly as in the Shrimpland picture - a gorgeous deep blue. 
wub.png

Okay so I got cheeky and asked my LFS where they got their shrimp from - they said Hobby Shrimp, who currently seem to be wholesale only but it looks like they have a retail website under construction.

Oh cool, so they're not really cherries at all, now I get it.

Are they not a variation of Rili shrimp rather than cherry? davidi as opposed to heteropoda. They are very nice and probably worth the £6 tag actually!

Mamashack said:
What are Blue Bolts?
Just found some - wow! They are expensive and hard to care for apparently - that would be where the R.O water and additives come in I guess.

It looks like Blue Bolts are a variation on Crystal Red Shrimp not cherries, hence not as easy to look after.

fm1978 said:
Are they not a variation of Rili shrimp rather than cherry? davidi as opposed to heteropoda. They are very nice and probably worth the £6 tag actually!

I hadn't even spotted that, but they also have some Rili shrimp classified as heteropoda so I have no idea! :S

daizeUK said:

What are Blue Bolts?

It looks like Blue Bolts are a variation on Crystal Red Shrimp not cherries, hence not as easy to look after.

Blue bolts are a colour var of Taiwan Bee/Crystal Bee (Caradina cantonensis), very expensive and that bit more difficult to maintain. They are bloody lovely though!

Yes they are, fm!
The Shrimpland ones do look like they are the same as what your LFS supplies daize.
Mine are neocaridina heteropoda var. blue phantom, so I think mine are cherries.
Have you decided what you are getting yet?

daizeUK said:

I hadn't even spotted that, but they also have some Rili shrimp classified as heteropoda so I have no idea!
wacko.png

God knows...it's difficult to tie them down. Those blue davidi ones were once known as heteropoda and then reclassified so it's anyone's guess :)

The new davidi name was supposed to cover sakura, fire reds, rili and various other high grade colour variations but it's all very confusing. Just so long as they're healthy and look wonderful. I love my shrimp... 

Wow - just seen a huge chunk I missed by jumping in themiddle of the notifications!
So glad your bluebies are ok! Poor things - hope they stay well! You should be well compensated. Mine arrived in a polystyrene box double bagged and with a heat pouch.

Any pics yet, Mamashack? Mines are way up there if you fancy a look. :)

Most reactions

Back