What are you doing today?

Did a bit more on getting my main computer back to par by installing mt data backup software that allows me to sync the main system's data drive to several other systems.

ALWAYS back up your data such as pictures and docs! An OS and software can always be re-done but pictures and such are gone on a drive failure if you don't have backups.
I had a new external hard drive installed. About a week after that the hard drive of the laptop crashed and so did the external hard drive with a fair number of back ups on it. How unfortunate can one be...?

I had a new external hard drive installed. About a week after that the hard drive of the laptop crashed and so did the external hard drive with a fair number of back ups on it. How unfortunate can one be...?
Curious why didn't you just install it yourself? Also are you sure the drives crash (external) and it wasn't a cabling issue. the number of times i've had sata and power cable come disconnected. Of course on the external drive you would have to open the enclosement to access the cables. Drives themselves are pretty reliable though i'm mostly moving to ssd to reduce power and vibration. In my case i have an array of 6 mechanical drives (4+2 raid) as well as a couple of ssd in my desktop system. I use zfs which detects data corruption (most common in mechanical drives due to a bad block) and corrects the issue. There are other file systems that do the same sort of bit error detection such as NFS and BRTS (though BRTS is quite buggy and i would not use it for raid); In theory MS has or is working on a copy cat answer though I don't follow their progression. These days i expect a lightly use mechanical drive to last 10 to 15 years; though there are a few bad models out there that last a few days. Lap tops and portable drives suffer a lot more vibration though these days I would never use a mechanical drive in a laptop and if i had an old one i would replace it with an ssd.
---
As for me what i'm doing these days is playing nursemaid to a bunch of screaming babies:

qq.jpg

--
Not a great picture but it is what it is - maybe a nicer one in a few days as i'll have to feed them 3 times a day for 3 weeks. This is daddy (who is unwelcomed):

a_lineta.jpg

I don't trust laptops - I like my desktop, but when I lost drive D, I could see issues developing, picked up a 100 gig external hard drive and started pulling data off it. all pics stay on the cellphone sd card and copied to the external hard drive. Had a friend change drive D - $55 for a new drive is much better than the price of a new computer. I also picked up a windows 11 strictly for business and its data files are routinely backed up to a flash drive. Only working laptop in the house is the cheap one I bought the kids. It recovered barely after I tried to install quick books, that got uninstalled and it is just to teach granddaughter to write HTML or to play the Nancy Drew game. My laptops don't even leave the house as a rule but they just do not last as long. What am I doing? hopefully going to airport lost and found, to see if they found my keys left at security checkpoint friday. I have copies if they didn't but I'll bet they did. Nothing on them anyone could use

Today is my birthday. I snuck out to the fishroom early, as my dog walk was shortened by a very high tide. I moved my Neolebias trewevasae into 2 tanks, one male tank, one female. The breeding tank is on the rack above. Natural set ups aren't doing it, so it's time to do a little work on them.

They got a good feeding of whiteworms. This afternoon, they'll get mosquito larvae, and tomorrow morning, freshly hatched brine shrimp. A few days with that rotation, and they'll go into a tank with warmer water and we'll see what transpires.

For the rest of the day, I'll be with the family, enjoying a beautiful September afternoon. The rest of the water changes can wait til tomorrow.

Most reactions

Back