What are you doing today?

the hex today. the powerhead sits high and my anubias would not like low water. i may just get an angelfish. If I could get enough oxygen in the water for them I'd get a couple of dojo loaches but they really prefer a wide tank

Attachments

• 20240828_123342.jpg
    20240828_123342.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 14
the hex today. the powerhead sits high and my anubias would not like low water. i may just get an angelfish. If I could get enough oxygen in the water for them I'd get a couple of dojo loaches but they really prefer a wide tank
Could you replace the power head with a circulation pump; btw how wide is the tank - it is hard to tell the distance across the middle but it might be too small for an adult angelfish despite the gallons.

[link to circulation pump - they fit on the side and come in all sort of strength]

Just finished watching the paralympics opening ceremony...
I'm not much of an athlete myself but I do love to watch these games where athletes with a disability give it all... For a disability doesn't have to mean that one can't do anything anymore...
If I look at myself, I've learned not to stop living because of my disabilities and my own limitations... 🤙

I have a dog that had major surgery. anything with the hex will have to wait, have to get her eating and drinking. I think it is about 27 inches wide. It's an oceanic. but I won't be buying fish soon

Could you replace the power head with a circulation pump; btw how wide is the tank - it is hard to tell the distance across the middle but it might be too small for an adult angelfish despite the gallons.

[link to circulation pump - they fit on the side and come in all sort of strength]
I actually prefer filtration. someone tried to convince me that circulation aimed at my live rock counted as filtration in my reef tank. Cost me a really nice tang when I switched it over. Dead as a doornail. I'm sure that a circulation pump is no substitute for biological filtration.

I have an undergravel filter that was cultured in 2019 or 2020 and does well. I don't like to run a tank low and get white lime buildup lines. Thank you but I think it will stay full. I have had an angelfish in the past. Start small - Move up to 100 gallon tank if it gets too big.

I actually prefer filtration. someone tried to convince me that circulation aimed at my live rock counted as filtration in my reef tank. Cost me a really nice tang when I switched it over. Dead as a doornail. I'm sure that a circulation pump is no substitute for biological filtration.

I have an undergravel filter that was cultured in 2019 or 2020 and does well. I don't like to run a tank low and get white lime buildup lines. Thank you but I think it will stay full. I have had an angelfish in the past. Start small - Move up to 100 gallon tank if it gets too big.
I've had several aquariums with no purpose-built filter, but lots of plants, hardscape, and water circulation. If it's done right, the plants and bacteria on surfaces serve as biological filtration. I don't know how that works with live rock in saltwater. But it can work in fresh if you have lots of plants and fairly light stocking.

it could. But I'm old school. I like my undergravel filter. I have actual aquarium gravel. I have plants but I don't like trying to clean out mucky topsoil under sand messes every few years. Up until the 2020 disease outbreak I had 20 year old cultured undergravel filters. I have so much lime in my water that I took my dog for bladder stone removal yesterday. There will be apple cider vinegar in the dog water, 1 tablespoon per 50 lbs of dog from now on. I knew she was hurting. Look at this.

Attachments

• 20240828_163636.jpg
    20240828_163636.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 12
it could. But I'm old school. I like my undergravel filter. I have actual aquarium gravel. I have plants but I don't like trying to clean out mucky topsoil under sand messes every few years. Up until the 2020 disease outbreak I had 20 year old cultured undergravel filters. I have so much lime in my water that I took my dog for bladder stone removal yesterday. There will be apple cider vinegar in the dog water, 1 tablespoon per 50 lbs of dog from now on. I knew she was hurting. Look at this.

Ouch, your poor girl! I hope she makes a fast rebound from surgery, poor thing. Even with feeling rough post-surgery, she has to be feeling better with that thing removed!

Can hard water do that then? Always dealing with limescale build up in kettles, around taps, on aquarium glass... had long lived dogs but haven't had to deal with anything like this *touch wood* yet! Wasn't something I'd have ever thought to worry about before! But I can also see the sense. Don't know whether my dog would drink water with apple cider vinegar in it, although she might, she's an odd one. She likes her water either so fresh from the tap she can still smell the chlorine, or the ancient, aged, "vintage" rainwater that's collected in various tubs or buckets outside. No in between. Old and nasty looking, or sparkling fresh. But I might be able to wean her onto rainwater from the rain barrel I use for aquariums. That's soft.

Brother is in the hospital, had been on antibiotics for a week for a diabetic foot ulcer. Didn't heal, finally agreed to go back to GP centre today, now at the hospital and they're apparently talking at least a partial amputation. He's not even 50 yet, and already facing losing a foot to diabetes.

I'm reeling, how it went from 0-100 in no time at all. But then, he left his diabetes uncontrolled for so long, I don't know how long he's had this sore for either, and all I know is what he's telling me via text. Part of me really wants to go down there and find out, but it wouldn't help... :(

Update: He was waiting anxiously all day yesterday, somewhere on the list for surgery yesterday, texted me about 5:30pm to say they were taking him in surgery now, and I was getting more and more worried the more hours passed without hearing from him. Same hospital where dad passed, and mum went for her cancer tests and diagnosis. Nothing actually wrong with the hospital itself, just, you know.

When I called at about 7:30, 8pm, they said he wasn't back on the ward yet, but the nurse in charge of his care would call me once he was back on the ward and update me. By 9:30pm I'm frantic imagining he somehow didn't make it through surgery and I'm calling the hospital again when he texted me to say he's back on the ward, doesn't know much yet but that "the dressing still looks fairly-foot-shaped", so I'm just relieved he's alive, and hoping they cut out a big chunk of infection or something, but that it's overall going to be okay. He seemed in good spirits, but maybe they gave him good drugs...

Today he texted to say the surgeon had done his rounds, and they did actually amputate all the toes on his right (dominant) foot. The ulcer had been on the ball of his foot. But that's a major surgery, your toes are pretty crucial for balance etc, and hoping for the best, that he works well with the physio in hospital and takes better care of himself. But I imagine it'll be a while before I know much more about what's involved and what recovery time we're looking at.

cici is pretty good this morning. it's hot here so water that starts out hard gets harder when the water part evaporates. They have been out until noon or 1 each day then crated til at least 6 or 7 and that has not helped at all. drinking and peeing not enough, and hard water to boot, it can do that. She now has ACV in her water, cranberry powder on her prescription food, and I'm home and taking her out often. Also making sure her stream is good, the little gravel came out of the tube that exits the bladder, vet is not sure if they got it all

I also got a 30 gallon tub for their backyard water, part of the problem in not drinking is the water gets hot. so I have a pump and an extension cord and they can have a fountain cooled water bowl.

I also got a 30 gallon tub for their backyard water, part of the problem in not drinking is the water gets hot. so I have a pump and an extension cord and they can have a fountain cooled water bowl.
When I had my black lab in Florida I used an automatic water dispenser similar to the below link. It just attached to an outside faucet and lets the water flow when the bottom is licked.

I'm back from the real city with 25 fish. 15 Enteromius fasciolatus (Angola barbs) and 10 Poropanchax normani lampeyes, a species I've kept and bred many times, and just plain like. These ones looked very good.

I also got plants and algae wafers for the herbivores.

I spent four hours driving in heavy rain yesterday to get there, then came back with my daughter as company on a beautiful, sunny 23c day. Drives seem so much shorter when you are in the company of an interesting kid (who isn't a kid anymore).

Went with the store this morning to make some house calls to break down people’s tanks. It’s interesting getting hands-on experience with different tank sizes beyond just seeing the number. For instance, I now know that 55s are tall and wide but very skinny.

Most reactions

Back