What are you doing today?

You should take him out for a bike ride. You could secure him in the basket or perch him on the handlebar.

Last edited:
Clip wings first
Will not clip wings.! They are meant to fly. In fact there are two vets in the area that deal with birds. The one I picked refuses to clip wings or declaw cats which is a big factor as to why they are my vet.

Still it is possible to take him for rides with putting netting over the rear basket. Don't see my actually doing so but could be done pretty easily.

Will not clip wings.! They are meant to fly. In fact there are two vets in the area that deal with birds. The one I picked refuses to clip wings or declaw cats which is a big factor as to why they are my vet.

Still it is possible to take him for rides with putting netting over the rear basket. Don't see my actually doing so but could be done pretty easily.
I don't clip my chickens wings, but I've caught a couple of lost cockatiels and never found their owner. I lost my first, and learned to calmly trim wings on later birds

I am going to bag around 15 red coral dwarf Juvenile platys and take them over to my lfs.
IMG_0881.jpeg

I don't clip my chickens wings, but I've caught a couple of lost cockatiels and never found their owner. I lost my first, and learned to calmly trim wings on later birds
The problem for me with clipping is that his cage is open all day and he can come and go. He likes to visit my living room window sill or screen and look outside. He flies to get there and would have serious issues getting up there with clipped wings.

I can understand a bird escaping but don't consider it an issue as he is strictly an indoor bird and windows are screened. The only issue with not clipping wings for me is that, for pretty obvious, I can't run my living room ceiling fan when the cage is open. ;)

To me birds are meant to fly...

I've posted this before but here is what I mean about his liking the window. Let's catch some rays... ;) Why would I clip his wings and prevent his ability to do this. He also likes to perch on a blade of my ceiling fan which would be impossible with clipped wings. I'm not saying that clipping is always wrong. It all depends on the situation. :) Since I'm in a bird safe situation I just can't see restricting his mobility even if they are climbers they still naturally fly; LOL! Just not with much grace of style.

pretty bird.JPG

IMG_1829-small.JPG

You should take him out for a bike ride. You could secure him in the basket or perch him on the handlebar.
When I used to ride motorcycles I casually knew a guy that always took his cockatoo with him on his bike and it rode on the bars. He would stop at a bar we both frequented for a beer and just leave the bird on the bike without restraints. This thing was like a 'guard bird' for the bike. Come close and it would raise a bit of a vocal ruckus but touch the bike and you just may have lost a finger. Such ""pets"" as Amazon Parrots and Cockatoos have bills that are like bolt cutters.

Going out to purchase my archery tag and conservation stamp. Tomorrow, I'll be setting up my antelope blind, and the hunt begins Thursday. Guess I need to start a new hunting thread...
I don't hunt but well know that every time I eat meat I am eating a killed animal which is fine with me... I just don't want to do the personal killing. ;)

Do you use salt blocks around your blinds. Personally I don't think this should be legal.

So setting up my antelope blind... you have a blind antelope and you're setting him up on a date? Then you're going to do the Cupid thing with an arrow? That's sweet.

When you live by the ocean, you get a lot of visitors in the summer. I like that, because I get to be a tour guide. But today, I'm finishing off a rushed set of full fishroom water changes, since we have 36 hours between having people stay with us. If we ran a bed and breakfast, I couldn't keep fish.

Last night, the dog and I ended up chasing off a pack of bedraggled young raccoons at 4 AM. They launched a sortie against the back deck, which woke the dog up, and off it went. Hopefully, they had a good scare, and we'll be trash panda free for at least a week. I felt sorry for them as they were obviously soaked and hungry after the remnants of Hurricane Debbie had half drowned all of us, but I'm afraid I couldn't be that sympathetic to them.

On Friday, while on a ferry, I saw lots of dolphins. I know I should have seen them many times before, but it just hadn't happened. They were really something to watch. One group of porpoises, and five or six large gangs of dolphins, working a gigantic school of fish close to the surface.

I don't hunt but well know that every time I eat meat I am eating a killed animal which is fine with me... I just don't want to do the personal killing. ;)

Do you use salt blocks around your blinds. Personally I don't think this should be legal.
Yeah, I respect that. I prefer to do my own killing when possible. I have no trouble with people hiring it done, but it sure bugs me when they get high and mighty and look down on my for doing it myself. :rolleyes:

No salt licks; I just set up a little ways off from a water hole. And you get your wish, by the way--baiting big game is illegal here, unless you count bears.

I've never hunted from a blind before, and I'm not sure how much I'll like it. But my area doesn't have enough cover to hide a prairie dog, so spotting and stalking with the bow wouldn't work too well. It will not be extremely taxing physically compared to chasing elk all over the world, but it has certainly been a challenge learning to shoot a longbow out of a pop up blind!
So setting up my antelope blind... you have a blind antelope and you're setting him up on a date? Then you're going to do the Cupid thing with an arrow? That's sweet.
Um, yeah, that's what I'm doing. :whistle: But they aren't sweet; more salty.
Tour guiding, dolphins, and late-night rumbles with trash pandas all sound rather entertaining.

The problem for me with clipping is that his cage is open all day and he can come and go. He likes to visit my living room window sill or screen and look outside. He flies to get there and would have serious issues getting up there with clipped wings.
That's fine. You don't have children or grandchildren to let the bird out. Or turn the fan on and surprise surprise. I no longer keep birds, they take more time and attention than I have to give. So when I catch one at my feeder I cage it for a bit and find it a home if I can't find the owner. I still have enough equipment around to do that

Today, the pondless went in. Not my yard. Yes we rented a jackhammer otherwise known as a breaker. I didn't know that til yesterday.

Attachments

• 20240810_100127.jpg
    20240810_100127.jpg
    788.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240811_103558.jpg
    20240811_103558.jpg
    694.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240811_181508.jpg
    20240811_181508.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240811_181247.jpg
    20240811_181247.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 12
Today I am going to begin building an awning of sorts for the big window, 79 by 47 inches, that overlooks the pond. We wanted a window that allowed us a view of the entire water feature and bog but have come to realize it came with a price. The screened opening has absolutely been pelted during the past few heavy storms. We get wet. On hot sunny days we need to close the blinds because the sun angle blinds us while also roasting us. Closing the blinds defeats the purpose of the window as does getting wet.

Linda scraped up some fabric and I will made a frame out of PVC. This contraption was attached on the side wall above the window yesterday. When we got afternoon sun, I slid the contraption about to find the best height above the window to place a permanent structure. We then got "lucky" and had a pretty violent storm around 7 PM so we went out and reattached the contraption to make sure it also blocked the rain. The location was pretty good and most of the deluge was deflected before the fabric blew off in the storm. We got drenched but it was not actually unpleasant because the rain was as warm as bathwater.

The new awning will extend about 22 inches from the wall and will not obstruct the water view although the sunset will be somewhat obstructed. A trade-off like everything else in life. Should be able to do the job in one day unless I get sidetracked.

I also got a call from the local sawmill guy Saturday night. He has a customer who builds hay wagons that orders 6 - 8 - and 10-inch-wide poplar boards. There is always an excess after the sawing and the mill has no real use for them, so they sell them very cheaply, 2 bucks each, less than 25 cents a board foot. I had asked him to let me know when the next order was sawed, and the leftovers were ready for sale. First thing this morning I will be getting about 480 BF of poplar planks for a hundred bucks, an absolute steal. This is enough to finish the inside walls of the building with an attractive hardwood that is easy to work with and finishes quite well with oil-based stain. Now I will watch for a sale on insulation and the building will be usable all year with the addition of a small portable propane or electric heater. A pretty nice reward for a few days of woodworking.

I am diving back into the forum and reading. I bought a bicycle a month or two ago. I have lost 82 lbs and rewarded myself with a bike. I rode quite a bit when I was young and am happy to start doing it again, now that I can.

I raised the seat and need to raise the handlebars, but my brake cables won't allow it. I looked into doing it myself, but nope. Not a DIY guy. Took it to the bike shop and there is a 3 week backlog. Dangit. Well, it'll get done correctly at least.

Most reactions

Back