What are you doing today?

Handle of a new bow roughed out. I managed to severely damage the last one in the final stages of heat-treating. I hope to figure out a way to resurrect it eventually, but for now I put it away and started a new one.
IMG_0808.jpg

Here's my attempt at poetry:
There once was a man from Nantucket
never mind :p
There once was a man from Nantucket.
A dirty horse stall, he did muck it.
The compost produced
gave his garden a boost
with flowers so nice he did pluck it.

OK, moving on...

Read and commented. Mayhaps you should make it public to help others better understand.....

And why do terms always have to change? :dunno: I assume that 'DM' stands for 'Direct message' but why was not 'PM' for private message not good enough? ;)
Thank you for your response! I will reply very soon. I use DM and PM interchangeably, but yes, private message and direct message

My business incubator project continues going. Most of nauplii were born yesterday (January 2nd, 2024), and I made the annotation of their birth date.

So bad I still didn't recovered completely, because I must return to the gym!

This is how my tank is doing currently. Curiously, despite being a known invasive species, the duckweed (Lemna sp.) simply went extinct, besides the Salvinia sp.
1704330607089.jpeg

The place is horrible to take photos, so there are several reflexes when I try to take photos from the Betta splendens, as you can see below:
1704330870019.jpeg
1704330879118.jpeg
1704330894626.jpeg

Also, the Plano Real will complete his 30-year anniversary this year. This is the one of the few economic reforms that worked for Brazilian economy. This coincides with a book that I've been reading since last year, which talks about the monetary history from Brazil, since 1942 until nowadays.

The Brazilian hyperinflation was the most long lasting from the world, which initiated from 1979 and ended only in 1994, when the Plano Real took place (the Brazilian Real). It started as a free-floating currency (the demand for the currency was extreme, causing valuation of the Real), later being pegged to American dollar until January 1999, when there was a currency crisis related to the foreign exchange reserves, then the currency is floating since then. Besides the monetary reform, several state-owned enterprises were privatized, and much more. This explains why FHC got elected on 1st round (here in Brazil there is two-round elections), being reelected in 1998 with even more margin over his opponent. Well, I'm thinking about writing a short article about this in English.

Brazil has not viewed a strong currency since probably the Caixa de Conversão (1909-1913), during the Old Republic.

Looking at getting groceries on-line. So far I've just looked at Hungry Root and Omaha Steaks. Hungry Root is out as it is just too expensive. Omaha Steaks looks to be in a quite decent price range. Actually it looks like I could do for less than what I pay at my local grocery store but I haven't looked at adding sides yet, just meat. Probably over 15 years ago I was given a gift certificate to Omaha Steaks as a bonus for some computer work and used it. Can't really remember much but then I can't remember anything bad so that is good. ;) If I end up doing it I would probably just order once a month, after a smaller test order, as I have a chest freezer for storage.

Also, without success, trying to convince one of my dumb cichlids that he is too small to eat a 3/4 to 1 inch meal worm. He just won't listen. ;) Keep in mind that this fish is a dwarf and under 2 inches in length. The worms are for my rope fish but this cichlid will grab one. With one in his mouth he can't even begin to really swim and ends up on the substrate at about a 45 degree angle. After a while he will finally spit out the worm and then disappear for a half hour or so sulking. It is actually sort of funny and I don't see where it is going to hurt anything. ;)

Looking at getting groceries on-line. So far I've just looked at Hungry Root and Omaha Steaks. Hungry Root is out as it is just too expensive. Omaha Steaks looks to be in a quite decent price range. Actually it looks like I could do for less than what I pay at my local grocery store but I haven't looked at adding sides yet, just meat. Probably over 15 years ago I was given a gift certificate to Omaha Steaks as a bonus for some computer work and used it. Can't really remember much but then I can't remember anything bad so that is good. ;) If I end up doing it I would probably just order once a month, after a smaller test order, as I have a chest freezer for storage.

Also, without success, trying to convince one of my dumb cichlids that he is too small to eat a 3/4 to 1 inch meal worm. He just won't listen. ;) Keep in mind that this fish is a dwarf and under 2 inches in length. The worms are for my rope fish but this cichlid will grab one. With one in his mouth he can't even begin to really swim and ends up on the substrate at about a 45 degree angle. After a while he will finally spit out the worm and then disappear for a half hour or so sulking. It is actually sort of funny and I don't see where it is going to hurt anything. ;)
I always assumed that in Wyoming you could get terrific local beef? I once mail ordered elk rib steaks from a Wyoming farm. Frikin amazing!

There are local shops that I'll use for a nice rib eye or something. It is like when I lived in Florida. Florida oranges are move expensive in Florida than in Wyoming.

I always assumed that in Wyoming you could get terrific local beef? I once mail ordered elk rib steaks from a Wyoming farm. Frikin amazing!
Because of the USDA rules, beef generally had to get shipped out of state to be butchered, then sent back here to be eaten. If I want to buy beef from a local rancher, I have to buy a live cow, then pay a local butcher to process it for me, instead of just buying the beef directly. This is because the USDA's inspection policies make it almost impossible for small processors to work profitably. It's really dumb, and there are efforts afoot to get that changed. Or maybe it already has. I know it is easier to get local beef than it used to be, and yeah, it should be dirt cheap. You can't swing a stick without hitting a cow around here.

Because of the USDA rules, beef generally had to get shipped out of state to be butchered, then sent back here to be eaten. If I want to buy beef from a local rancher, I have to buy a live cow, then pay a local butcher to process it for me, instead of just buying the beef directly. This is because the USDA's inspection policies make it almost impossible for small processors to work profitably. It's really dumb, and there are efforts afoot to get that changed. Or maybe it already has. I know it is easier to get local beef than it used to be, and yeah, it should be dirt cheap. You can't swing a stick without hitting a cow around here.
I wonder if it might be something similar with oranges being more expensive in Florida...

Actually, around 8 years ago, myself and a co-worker were thinking about buying a side of beef to split from a local meat market that was REALLY good. Unfortunately that market is now closed due to extreme cost of operation. On average the side would have cost ~1500.00 based on a 200 pound package. and she couldn't afford.

How things have changed in 8 or so years...

Out of curiosity I just looked up side prices locally on-line. There is a local ranch that sells whole, half and quarter packages. I looked at the half/side price and it was averaged at $2500.00 based on a 200 pound half. That boils down to $12.50 USD per pound. If your first thought of a side of beef is rib eye and t-bone steaks that ALMOST sounds OK but keep in mind that a lot of that side of beef is ground and cheaper cuts. I can go to my local grocery store and buy a pretty nice rib eye steak for not much over that price per pound.

So I live in cattle country and would have to pay ~12.50/pound USD when the national average seems to be ~$9.50/pound USD. This is crazy! :mad:

And why does it seem that chicken is now more expensive than beef? :dunno: I don't mean that a chicken breast costs more per pound that a steak but ground 80/20 beef per pound beef is now cheaper than boneless chicken breast per pound. I first noticed this when a local taco joint was advertising a bundle package of soft tacos with either chicken or beef. The chicken package was $1.00 USD MORE than the beef... :dunno:

And why does it seem that chicken is now more expensive than beef? :dunno: I don't mean that a chicken breast costs more per pound that a steak but ground 80/20 beef per pound beef is now cheaper than boneless chicken breast per pound. I first noticed this when a local taco joint was advertising a bundle package of soft tacos with either chicken or beef. The chicken package was $1.00 USD MORE than the beef... :dunno:
with bird flu going around last year and this year a ton of the major chicken farms were shut down and all the chickens killed and destroyed. It pads prices skyrocket. I know multiple farms in my area went out of business

Made a couple video recaps for this year :):) video making is still one thing I can do even when I cannot draw.

Made a couple video recaps for this year :):) video making is still one thing I can do even when I cannot draw.

You may like a really old freebee from Microsoft called Photo Story 3. It was a free tool put out by Microsoft in the days of Windows XP but still works in Windows 10/11. Microsoft no longer offers but it can still be gotten in several places such as:

You may like a really old freebee from Microsoft called Photo Story 3. It was a free tool put out by Microsoft in the days of Windows XP but still works in Windows 10/11. Microsoft no longer offers but it can still be gotten in several places such as:
I’d look into that!

Most reactions

Back