Show Me Your Car!

this is my little car....

is 1.2 16v with 6 gears

my husband offered to buy me any car I wanted...

I couldn't get insurance on the gorgeous Evo 8 I found and I couldn't fit the pram in the boot of an Audi TT

So I bought this.

060810_19430.jpg

and now I love it :drool:

It's so weird to look at the difference between cars that Americans drive and cars that Europeans drive. Many Europeans have small, efficient cars that are hybrids or run on vegetable oil or something. Americans on the other hand feel like they have to tow around a family of bears on a daily basis and get the hugest most inefficient car that mankind has thought of inventing (like the Hummer...) Probably more than half the cars on the road are SUVs or trucks and I get angry when I'm trying to see why there's traffic and I can't because there's a huge looming gas guzzler in front of me! I don't even know anybody with a Hybrid and have never even heard of cars being sold in America that can run on vegetable oil. It's just weird to see the difference in attitudes.

Ok I just had to rant a little but I know that in the end I still love America!!

actually in the UK, SUVS are stupidly popular, you know you hear jokes about mothers in a 4 litre range rover with two small kids in the back? well it happens, every single SUV driver here is a woman doing her shopping/dropping kids off

actually in the UK, SUVS are stupidly popular, you know you hear jokes about mothers in a 4 litre range rover with two small kids in the back? well it happens, every single SUV driver here is a woman doing her shopping/dropping kids off

Isn't the term phrased "Soccer Mom"? :lol: Thats a classic stereo type of America though, Overkill, on everything. You specifically notice how large the US builds cars when you drive past a Dodge SUV or a Ute, and they are huge, and almost encroaching into your lane. :crazy: Nice cars everyone, I enjoy the eye candy. Although fenwoman has a point, they are just to get you too A from B, id still like a BMW (or similar flashy car) if I could afford one! :good:

Isn't the term phrased "Soccer Mom"? :lol: Thats a classic stereo type of America though, Overkill, on everything. You specifically notice how large the US builds cars when you drive past a Dodge SUV or a Ute, and they are huge, and almost encroaching into your lane. :crazy:

Yeah we definitely have the soccer moms, but we also have every other bozo that thinks they need a huge gigantic vehicle to usually only drive themselves to and from work. Imagine driving down the highway and being surrounded by gigantic SUVs (American or otherwise) practically running you off the road because, while just about everybody has them, nobody knows how to drive them! Or trying to back out of a parking space and not being able to see if anybody is coming because most of the time there are huge SUVs/vans/trucks on either side of you!

As you can see this is a topic that really irks me...it almost pains me to pull up to the gas station and see most of the pumps occupied by huge cars just guzzling down that gas (and then only getting about 10 miles a gallon on the road!). But unfortunately, it's not something that I see changing anytime soon so I might as well learn to live with it!!

It's so weird to look at the difference between cars that Americans drive and cars that Europeans drive. Many Europeans have small, efficient cars that are hybrids or run on vegetable oil or something. Americans on the other hand feel like they have to tow around a family of bears on a daily basis and get the hugest most inefficient car that mankind has thought of inventing (like the Hummer...) Probably more than half the cars on the road are SUVs or trucks and I get angry when I'm trying to see why there's traffic and I can't because there's a huge looming gas guzzler in front of me! I don't even know anybody with a Hybrid and have never even heard of cars being sold in America that can run on vegetable oil. It's just weird to see the difference in attitudes.

Ok I just had to rant a little but I know that in the end I still love America!!

any diesel car can be used on old used frying oil just strain all the bits off and a bit of ethanol or meths cant remember which and way u go!#

Only thing slightly illegal about it here int he uk is its classed as tax evasion!!!! so as long as u pay extra tax ur ok to do it!!

Daniel

The reason we Americans are going severely "stupid" with the big SUV's by Chrysler, GM and Ford is because it's subsidized by the U.S. government. Really sad.

We do a lot of things to secure worldwide hydrocarbon energy markets in the name of cheap gas at the stateside pump.

Some of the activities we Yanks do:

1.) Fight wars.
2.) Lots of foreign aid.
3.) Fight wars.
4.) Trade agreements (which are not always in the best interests of us and our allies).
5.) Fight wars.

I might have mentioned that we fight wars for this, but it may have slipped my mind, so I thought I'd toss that in one more time.

When all is said and done, I recall one U.S. economist, using activity based costing, came up with a minimum figure of $11/gallon in the U.S. as the true cost of gasoline here. Avgas would run about $14/gallon.

In short, $2/gallon is a bargain. So is $4/gallon. We're spoiled, so we buy these ridiculous behemoths. Strangely, from an actuarial standpoint, here are the safest and most deadly cars (fatalities per passenger mile) in the U.S for the year 2005:

Safest: Honda Civic 4-dr. Sedan
Deadliest: Chevy S-10 Blazer/GM S-15 Jimmy SUV's (S-15 ceased production in Jan 2005)

Just amazed that insurers have crunched hard data that shows you're safer, for each mile travelled, in an econobox. Don't get me wrong, I like Hondas, but I think it has to do with more than just the car's design. Probably has a lot to do with they type of people Honda targets as a consumer market.

So, for you all on the other side of the pond who scratch your heads as to why we need a 5,500lb. vehicle to commute one driver and no passengers, there's one answer.

v/r, N-A

Most reactions

Back