Rescue operation-poor little Puffer. (Cookie)

!!!Go cookie go!!!

I think I read somewhere that males colour up more than females, so maybe he will be even more colourful than Martha!

He sunds quite the little character, and it just goes to show how all puffers are different! Lol.

Also, do you always defrost in the tank?

WOW How on earth did I manage to miss this thread :dunno:

Great job guys! I've loved reading about his progress and the pics are fantastic :wub:

Keep up the good work!

I admit. We were inspired. We got a fahaka after seeing how social and pretty yours are. It was not malnourished like cookie, and is sitting at about 2 and a half inches right now. Perhaps I'll throw a picture in a new thread after it settles.

bunjiweb said:
What type of prawns is it you feed your puffers? Any suggestions for feeding dwarf puffers? I feed them snails, and the odd bit of meat and sometimes they tuck into half a bottom feeder's wafer.
Just ordinary frozen cooked prawns-in-the-shell from our local supermarket.

Our dwarf puffers eat live & frozen bloodworm, glassworm, daphnia, brineshrimp, snails & chopped prawn.

Puffer_freak said:
I think I read somewhere that males colour up more than females, so maybe he will be even more colourful than Martha.
Actually, we're beginning to suspect that Martha is actually male, her colour just keeps on getting brighter, and the red stronger.

Puffer_freak said:
Also, do you always defrost in the tank?
Sometimes, but always in a net so the fish cannot eat the frozen food. Sometimes we defrost in a bowlful of vitamin solution instead.

bunjiweb said:
Sir Minion I can't read your posts because your avatar makes my eyes sting!

Mwaahahahaha! (sorry) :crazy:

DarkSide said:
Anyways good job with cookie, you made me proud. I wanted to rescue a fire mouth cichlids once, but I didn't have room [or] money for it.
No, we didn't either when we rescued Cookie.

Money we had saved for a holiday went into buying a new tank and all the trimmings for him.

So we got Cookie instead of going on vacation.

But he's worth it.

As for finding room, well he had to go in the bedroom for now until we sell the diningroom table to make room downstairs (I'm not kidding!)

Just read this thread. Cookie is so georgeous :wub: Now I'm not at all tempted to buy any puffers :whistle: but ...... do they all have to be kept in separate tanks? I mean can you put any puffers together?

Some puffers you can keep together, some fish however hate the sight of one another, Fahakas are unique amoung fish in that they hate everything, They hate each other, they hate other puffers, they hate there food, they hate any fish they see, they hate the water, they hate the rock, they hateyou and they hate me. Once they reach about 12 inches they are reported to get very very testy so they need a tank of there own; I have only once heard of anyone sucessfully keeping them with others fish, and they where other fahakas.

Some guy somewhere apperently keeps 8 in a 240 galllon and breeds them, Apperently they all have scars everywhere and they are the only fish with leathery skin tought enought to handle a bite from there powerful beacks. But then again for his description I've heard dozens of people whos fahakas worked very hard to kill each other, one fellow had an 8 inch male breack throught a piece of egg crate and fight with a female, he ended up dead and out of the water and she lost her caudial fin.

Opcn said:
Some puffers you can keep together, some fish however hate the sight of one another, Fahakas are unique amoung fish in that they hate everything, They hate each other, they hate other puffers, they hate there food, they hate any fish they see, they hate the water, they hate the rock, they hateyou and they hate me. Once they reach about 12 inches they are reported to get very very testy so they need a tank of there own; I have only once heard of anyone sucessfully keeping them with others fish, and they where other fahakas.

Some guy somewhere apperently keeps 8 in a 240 galllon and breeds them, Apperently they all have scars everywhere and they are the only fish with leathery skin tought enought to handle a bite from there powerful beacks. But then again for his description I've heard dozens of people whos fahakas worked very hard to kill each other, one fellow had an 8 inch male breack throught a piece of egg crate and fight with a female, he ended up dead and out of the water and she lost her caudial fin.
Right little fahakas then!!! :rofl:
I love fish with attitude. :thumbs:

glolite said:
Just read this thread. Cookie is so georgeous :wub: Now I'm not at all tempted to buy any puffers :whistle: but ...... do they all have to be kept in separate tanks? I mean can you put any puffers together?
No, I would never attempt to keep Martha & Cookie together. Apart from the usual aggresion problem, Martha is now nine inches and Cookie is only three inches, so he's just the right size for a Martha snack.

Cookie is actually the more aggresive of the two and will try to bite me through the glass when i'm near his tank, whereas Martha is (so far) peacefull and gentle (unless you're a crab or prawn) and shares her tank with Stewart the 7" common pleco, Brocolli the 10" Starlight pleco and Julian the 14" Ornate Bichir.

I'm so happy to see/hear that Cookie is growing stronger and stronger :wub: Thanks for keeping us updated and for ruining my eyes with that show :lol: :p

LadyMinion said:
dwarfs said:
Or you can keep it and just have an extra tank around :whistle: :p
Now let me see. What large piece of furniture can we get rid of next to accomodate the fish?

Ah! I know! The dining table. We'll just do what they do in Japan and eat on the floor. :lol:
actually they have tansk that can be used as coffee tables. :D

Most reactions

Back