Random Discussion

As a Canadian I have the "Ay" on tomato and not the "oo" on aluminum.

Since I move to the east coast, I've begun to say tomahto, and rarely tomayto. You go with the regional forms. I don't want to sound too much like a CFA (a Come From Away) or even worse, an Upper Canadian. Being from Quebec already gets me enough "oh really" responses...

Canada's like everywhere else - lots of accents, none of which truly believe they're accents.

To follow up on making my micro system a game console let's just say that it failed as it just does not have enough of a video chip to handle.

I was going to move a bunch of installs that don't need 'speed' to my data drive to make space on my system drive for the games but I suddenly grew another brain cell. I now have three live brain cells but have to admit that one is still comatose. ;) I just moved the main games along with another and a couple of game console emulators to my data drive and all is well and I now have plenty of free space on both drives.

The reason for the concern about free space on the drives is something that many may not know. Not sure if this applies to solid state drives but a mechanical spin drive needs a minimum of 10-15% free space to operate properly. Actually did a quick search and it seems that the minimum of 10-15% free space also includes solid state drives. Now this is not always the case if the drive is strictly data and will never need to be 'trimmed (ssd)' or require a defrag (spin drives). Take my larger 6 TB media drive. The free space is below the required to do maintenance on the drive but it does not matter as the drive is just used for displaying movies.

Just as a side note I STRONGLY advise that you do de-fragmentation on spin drives and a trim on solid state drives. They will last longer. Shoot, I have spin drives that I've been using for 10 or more years without any issue.

Last week I found a crappy computer in the garbage. Crappy Everything, But I still trowed it in the car and brought it home.

After dismantling it, it was indeed Crappy all the way... Except that for an absolutely unknown reason it was equipped with an Intel Core i7-2700K... The mobo had multiple cap blown and was defect. Probably due to a little too much overclocking, loll...

My entertainment system in my living room has an Asus P8H61, you know the first generations of "TUF": Military Grade components motherboards, that I immediately confirmed supporting that CPU...

I went ahead and tried a complete overhaul of this 14 years old machine... Switched the current i5-2400 for the i7-2700K, Upgraded the bios to the latest possible version, replaced the video card for a Radeon RX570 and installed W10Pro.

On my old Western Digital Raptor (that never stopped spinning since day one) is currently still showing 0 bad block... I was very happy to see that I wouldn't need to replace that absolute beast for a any kind of today's SSD... W10 is running surprisingly fast for a 2nd gen i7 CPU... And the result is quite overpowered for the task at hand.

I have one of these beefy Volkswagen radiator on that rig and was able to clock the CPU up to 4.8 GHz :cool:

For most of the task it does around 1.6-2.2 GHz.

This should last another 10 years...

They will last longer. Shoot, I have spin drives that I've been using for 10 or more years without any issue.
🤯 Don’t think I could allow my PC to have drives that old 😅 NVME is my way to go now and 2.5” ssd for extra storage

Just found this very old thread off the home page images section. How times have changed in the world of technology 😅

A few weeks ago I decommissioned a 55 gallon and after trying to figure out what to do with it I ended up making it an herb garden— and it’s actually going extremely well. We put typically keep the lids on to protect from direct sun and sneaky grabby raccoon hands
IMG_3991.jpeg

I have a couple empty 10 gallons sitting about and I’m honestly considering expanding my little herb garden

🤯 Don’t think I could allow my PC to have drives that old 😅 NVME is my way to go now and 2.5” ssd for extra storage
No real worries as the oldest drives are on my backup system and rarely used except when syncing from my main system. My main is largely M.2 SSD driven; NVME. However I DO use spin drives for my media library and internal system images totaling 14 TB. I have 3 1 TB NVME and a 512 GB NVME. Two of the 1 TB drives are for system and clone backups while the third is my data drive. The 512 GB is vor working with videos.

Most reactions

Back