Random Discussion

One of my favorite movies about and with great music was "The Commintments."

And here is a just a taste- turn up the volume........

We watched "The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare" last night. Quite enjoyable.

I was surprised that the whole movie was about one mission, since the book (which I highly recommend) was about the ministry as a whole. I suppose it would have been too much for a movie. Still, it's a fun movie if you're into action-comedy movies. The violence is pretty intense in spots, but fitting the action and no "Saving Private Ryan" level gore. No sexual content that made me uncomfortable watching with my teenage daughter. The men are disturbingly light-hearted about killing Nazis, which I found very funny in a movie, but I don't know if I'd want these guys in my hunting camp. :lol: The characters, good and bad, are memorable and very entertaining.

My wife and daughter even enjoyed it, and they both generally dislike war movies. I give it a B+.

I like OLD war movies such as In Harms Way, Midway and Sergeant York but don't at all like the modern ones at all. Don't really know why but possibly due to having been in the service... :dunno:

It depends on how much you'll test and what you test for. The tetra strips I've used in streams outdoors tell me a lot, but they are easily damaged, and expensive. The freshwater test kits need side kits to be complete. If you plan to use them a lot, they're more economical in the long run.

I don't test for anything but tds and conductivity, and have an inexpensive meter for that. If I worried about ammonia, nitrates etc, I'd buy a reagent kit. I wouldn't buy the ammonia kit, but hardness and pH instead. That goes against the trend in the hobby though, and I may get away with that because I don't miss water changes, and have experience.

Yeah my kit has one strip with nitrate, nitrite, chlorine, pH, GH, and KH, of which nitrate, pH, GH, and KH are the ones that matter to me, since nitrates mean I need a water change and I adjust my tank’s hardness.

Trying an experiment with my micro PC. I'm seeing if I can basically turn it into a game console. Two games that must work for this are Baldur's Gate 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn. Since the graphics is just an integrated Intel UHD 600 it is questionable as to if it can run these games but videos of the games running on this graphics look pretty good so who knows. Fable Lost Chapters is another I would not mind installing and it is old enough that there should be no issue but I want to try the two newer ones before things that should not be an issue. Of course they all run fine on my main system but I could only install one at a time without running below desired free space on my system drive. The graphics displays 4K video fine but that is a lot different than rendering game graphics.

I won't know the result for several hours as combined they are around a 185GB download from Steam. At least this isn't causing me any real time as both my main and micro go to the same 43 inch monitor so, as like now, I just set the display input to my main system and switch to the display for the micro now and then to check progress. This would all go a LOT quicker if I could used a wired network connection on the micro but it only has wireless.

I’m curious: do YOU pronounce “betta” with a short e (like “better”) or a long e (like the Greek letter beta or the word “bay”)

I’m curious: do YOU pronounce “betta” with a short e (like “better”) or a long e (like the Greek letter beta or the word “bay”)
In my opinion the double 'T' makes it pronounced like 'better'. A single 'T' would make it pronounced like 'bait'. The Greek letter is spelled 'beta' hence the pronunciation being like 'bait'.

Yeah, I pronounce it like “better” as well

Two times T means a short vowel.

Beta would be an early release of a GMO Betta. I think that's what causes the pronunciation error, as the tech world has popularized the beta pronunciation. I notice Americans do weird things with vowels, with the country Eye ran or Eye talian people.

Two times T means a short vowel.

Beta would be an early release of a GMO Betta. I think that's what causes the pronunciation error, as the tech world has popularized the beta pronunciation. I notice Americans do weird things with vowels, with the country Eye ran or Eye talian people.

Americans also say TomaYto and Al-oo-minum 👀😅

Most reactions

Back