Weird old posts from 2000s lol

Probably the strangest mish-mash in my life is in SCUBA diving. I dive primarily for scientific reasons, so when we're doing our surveys underwater, everything related to the science is in metric. But all of our US-made gear communicates to us in feet, psi, etc. So the effect is that when I'm underwater, distances in front of me I can only comprehend in meters, but vertical distances (depth) I can only ever make sense of in feet. It's very odd.
Kind of similar to my view of climbing mountains, I measure vertical distances in feet as well, but horizontal in kilometers. That changes when kayaking I measure swell in meters and distances in nautical miles. (This is primarily due to the differences between standard 1:50000 topos vs marine charts)

For work I participate with a Log Scaling standards group. In British Columbia the official standard for measuring board recovery is board feet (144 cubic inches) per meter cubed. There are many hold over units such as rods, chains, acres, scribner values (original and decimal)..., forestry is not the most progressive industry, you effectively have to know the SI units along with any other unit that may have been used in the past.

The world (the Europeans, Asians, Africans, central and south Americans) calls it football because the ball is moved mainly with the feet.
If anyone can supply a logical reason for calling American "football" football, please do.
Why do they call Rugby, rugby? That is a very brutal sport with no body protection. American Football is called football because the game is started and can be scored by kicking the ball to the opposing side or over the goals for a point? 😁

Why do they call Rugby, rugby?
Because the rules for the game were laid out at Rugby School in the town of Rugby :)

Did you know there are two types of rugby - rugby union and rugby league -with different rules? League is played in a region from Lancashire in the west to Yorkshire in the east. Everywhere else plays union.

In the 1980s we lived in Lancashire. The school my children went to taught rugby league to the older boys, and members of the Leigh rugby team came to coach them. Then we moved to the north east with my husband's job and they play union here. My elder son had to learn a new set of rules playing rugby at school.

Once when I was in Scotland, a man in a pub tried to explain the rules of snooker to me. I quickly determined that I had not consumed nearly enough alcohol to get my head around it. I suspect that American football (the one where the ball is mostly moved with the hands) is very similar to those not raised with it. It is a stupidly complicated sport. But that's what's so fun about it. That, and the violence. 💥

I mean is it really that complicated? I feel like the only *big* difference from like rugby is that you stop and start the action in plays, rather than going continuously. We of course have specific strategies that might look compicated, but every sport has that

What I like in American football is you can have a game that's got a score of 28-7, and it sounds wildly action filled. But it's only a 4-1 game. The scoring is brilliant. It doesn't make the game interesting to me, but the big numbers make it look exciting.
I think football/soccer should award 9 points for every goal. 18-9 games would sell here in North America. It would be unstoppable.

I mean is it really that complicated? I feel like the only *big* difference from like rugby is that you stop and start the action in plays, rather than going continuously. We of course have specific strategies that might look compicated, but every sport has that
Yep, simple.

What I like in American football is you can have a game that's got a score of 28-7, and it sounds wildly action filled. But it's only a 4-1 game. The scoring is brilliant. It doesn't make the game interesting to me, but the big numbers make it look exciting.
I think football/soccer should award 9 points for every goal. 18-9 games would sell here in North America. It would be unstoppable.
No thanks!!

Thankfully the rest of the world doesn't need stuff like that to make it interesting

Most reactions

Back