Random Discussion

No worries and a great version of 'Grace.

A lot of people think that bagpipes are harsh and discordant but I actually rather like them. Ya they are different and unique but it seems that they sort of dig into your soul. I have very few titles but may have to change that. I won't begin to claim that I was ever really good but I think a clarinet is another underrated instrument. Doing light jazz or blues and don't have a sax player? A clarinet can fill in just fine as they also have that mystique that is prevalent in all woodwinds. I would love to try an oboe but too expensive even for a decent beginner model. Ya, you can get one for under $300.00 USD but they are garbage. The double reed aspect has always interested me.
I've just never gotten along with the clarinet, listening or playing. The exception is jazz. I can listen to Benny Goodman all day.

People either love highland pipes or hate them. I'm firmly in the former camp. If you want some good recordings, I can make some recommendations.

I've just never gotten along with the clarinet, listening or playing. The exception is jazz. I can listen to Benny Goodman all day.

People either love highland pipes or hate them. I'm firmly in the former camp. If you want some good recordings, I can make some recommendations.
I would appreciate any recommendations as to pipes. :)

Just curious but what don't you like about a clarinet? Do you also dislike a sax? To me they are very similar even though having different body material with a clarinet being wood and a sax being metal, normally brass if I'm correct. Still they both have the basically mystical sound associated with all woodwinds. Ya, there are metal clarinets but I would not touch one. That mystical and almost haunting sound is what I like so much about woodwinds and metal takes away from the richness in my humble opinion. A double reed like an oboe even has more of this. A bassoon also intrigues me but I would not want to restrict myself to the lower bass levels and one would be even be way more out of my price range.

Sigh... I so much wish that I still had my old clarinet! When I left Ohio in 1987 it wasn't packed in a box but set aside with a couple of very high dollar books to be carried. Sadly I forgot to put these items in my car when I left and my ex refused to send to me out of spite. Sigh... from what I heard she sold the clarinet, in a yard sale for almost nothing. This was an antique with an ebony body, ivory mouth piece and solid silver keys. It was worth, I don't know how many, but many thousands.

I would appreciate any recommendations as to pipes. :)

Just curious but what don't you like about a clarinet? Do you also dislike a sax? To me they are very similar even though having different body material with a clarinet being wood and a sax being metal, normally brass if I'm correct. Still they both have the basically mystical sound associated with all woodwinds. Ya, there are metal clarinets but I would not touch one. That mystical and almost haunting sound is what I like so much about woodwinds and metal takes away from the richness in my humble opinion. A double reed like an oboe even has more of this. A bassoon also intrigues me but I would not want to restrict myself to the lower bass levels and one would be even be way more out of my price range.

Sigh... I so much wish that I still had my old clarinet! When I left Ohio in 1987 it wasn't packed in a box but set aside with a couple of very high dollar books to be carried. Sadly I forgot to put these items in my car when I left and my ex refused to send to me out of spite. Sigh... from what I heard she sold the clarinet, in a yard sale for almost nothing. This was an antique with an ebony body, ivory mouth piece and solid silver keys. It was worth, I don't know how many, but many thousands.
Man, I hate to hear that about your clarinet. Most of my instruments have names, they almost become living things to me. We can only hope that it's making some lucky person very happy.

Why don't I like it? Just don't care for the sound of it all that much, and never could play the dang thing worth crud. I like the sax fine, it's just a little overused IMO. Prefer the sound of the bari or the tenor to the alto. Love hearing a good bari sax jazz solo.

My favorite Scottish CD is "The Best of Ossian." Looks like you can get it on Amazon. Has some most excellent piping, and one of the most amazing whistle solos I've ever heard anywhere. Let me look through my collection and I'll share some more.

I love the sound of a clarinet, but find saxaphones brassy. Oboes and basset horns sound good too.

The pipes are good, though I prefer the Irish pipes over the big Scottish military ones.

We had wedding bells at our fish fry yesterday as my brother and his wife were celebrated for 50 years of wedded bliss. It was a touching ceremony in the original church.

However several extras attended the fry and for the first time ever we ran out of perch. Wound up at the local fish monger to purchase Tuna which were grilled at the fire pit.

I am very tired and think this might be the last big party we host. It was actually more work than fun, or so it seemed.

What have I stumbled upon?

This is for the Whistling Badger and the rest of the music lovers out there. I became a lover of the clarinet after the first time i heard Nenny Goodman. Play it in 720 or 1080 if your device can handle it. The piano player is pretty amazing.

This is for the Whistling Badger and the rest of the music lovers out there. I became a lover of the clarinet after the first time i heard Nenny Goodman. Play it in 720 or 1080 if your device can handle it. The piano player is pretty amazing.

I'll plug in the headphones later and give this the attention it deserves. Thanks for sharing it. Did I say I don't care for the clarinet? Jazz/swing clarinet is the exception. Love it.

I'll plug in the headphones later and give this the attention it deserves. Thanks for sharing it. Did I say I don't care for the clarinet? Jazz/swing clarinet is the exception. Love it.
I'm downloading the video as I type. :) I use AVC (Any Video Converter) to download videos. Been my go to for many years.

Check out Mozart’s clarinet concerto in A major. You may change your mind 🤩

Oh, just tripped on something pretty awesome! Keep in mind that this is ad-lib. He sets up a synthesizer per her request of D Minor and with a romantic vibe. This is the second time I've seen them but they don't actually have an band but they REALLY need to get one together. I see a 5 piece with the addition of a drummer, sax and keyboard. These two guitarists just seem to match REALLY well!

Most reactions

Back