Portinho Da Arrábida - Uma Vista De Troia

Yeah the thing with these Boraras is that they are like having a kids party and 30 rampaging kids doing their own thing all over the garden/house.

I'm used to fish that stay reasonably close together. Not necessarily schooling but they stick around the same area and move as a loose group.

These are just spread out through the water to me :(

Andy

Maybe it's because they're tiny and the tank is quite large in comparrison to what they were previously in. Mine are going in a 60 so hopefully they'll stick together.

that's a shame mate, i thought these would really suite the tank. They seem to school really we in the shops. Threadfins would look great, they are a tad on the expensive side though IMO, i only seen them in P@H at the min around us and they're 3 for £10! Lampeyes would be good, but i think they'd get lost in there, and you would only see their eyes. What about 10 Rummy noses?

Oh, no! :eek: Andy, why didn't you ask me about them before you decided to keep them? What you describe is exactly how they move, unless they're scared. When I kept uropthalmoides in IL, I kept them with a big ol betta. That got them schooling to run away from the betta who was always too slow. Otherwise, it's like crazy children at a party. :(

It's not so noticable when the tank is little, but yours is bigger. That kind of motion just never really bothered me, which is why I always like boraras.

A lovely schooling rasbora is Rasbora gracilis. They will often stay hold position in a group or swim against a current together. But they are larger about 2 inches, though very slender.

Ah, shame, well, pink filter tank should absorb the population fine. They don't have much of a bioload. Almost like shrimp.

Oh, no! :eek: Andy, why didn't you ask me about them before you decided to keep them? What you describe is exactly how they move, unless they're scared. When I kept uropthalmoides in IL, I kept them with a big ol betta. That got them schooling to run away from the betta who was always too slow. Otherwise, it's like crazy children at a party. :(

It's not so noticable when the tank is little, but yours is bigger. That kind of motion just never really bothered me, which is why I always like boraras.

A lovely schooling rasbora is Rasbora gracilis. They will often stay hold position in a group or swim against a current together. But they are larger about 2 inches, though very slender.

There's no hurry really.

It's not so much schooling I want but I suppose I have gotten so used to the Espei and previous fish where although they aren't schooling they sort of stick within reach of each other and move slowly :)

I think these are too friendly :) They see you and go mad like the dog when it hears/sees you go for the lead (For Liz = Lead = Leash) All excited and almost bouncing around. Ruins the sense of calm I like. lol

In the shop I think it was pretty similar. rushing to the front together when someone comes near, then scattering in different directions as they resume their restless lives. lol. Just looked better in the small tank like you all say. They were 'forced' together I suppose.

We shall see how it goes. As the 'school depletes it's numbers and they get larger it may get better.

Funny thing is on the deaths where I find them stuck in the filter intake. Always in the morning I find them. Never during the photoperiod. I am going to set the night lights to stay on outside of the photoperiod and see if that makes any difference.

One major plus is the Corys. They have absolutely come out of their shell in this scape. No idea whether it is the rocks or that the sand is at the front forcing them to the front for sifting or the cave meaning they feel safer or ??? but they are out and about and visible quite a lot now.

They look superb being black & velvety against the light sand and blue/grey rocks. Will try and get some pics of that :)

Andy

I thought you were American Liz ;) Is leash just what they say in the films?

Someone likes the fish:
DSCF2439.jpg

A bit like Goldilocks 'Someone's been sitting in MY chair'

Andy

I am American, I've just always said lead. I do a lot of strange things for an American. I've given your journal enough attention. You go look at mine now! :p

My family and I say leash. From where i'm from its prolly more common than lead.

as for the boraras, mine seem to stay really close together. I think mine are really skittish though, they rarely come to see me. wanna trade lol?

I am American, I've just always said lead. I do a lot of strange things for an American. I've given your journal enough attention. You go look at mine now! :p

which one Liz? You have loads ;) Which ones are live at the mo (in the real)

Andy

which one Liz? You have loads ;) Which ones are live at the mo (in the real)

Andy

Don't be cheeky. "Refugees from Endor". The brand name journal (ADA). :lol:

The countdown from 30 continues. Currently at 23

day 1 = -1 (stuck in filter slit)
day 2 = -6
2 stuck in filter intake, 2 weaklings struggling to stay upright then floating, 2 crispy jumpers.
day3????

If it gets down to 15 these are going in the pink filter tank in the cupboard to be hidden away and never seen.

I think maybe the Cory's activity is scaring them to jump. Always out the same corner where the Corys tend to play.

One thing I am thinking (theorising) When I got them their gill area was pretty red, however a lot of pics on the interweb show the same and from having the microrasbora erythromicrons they had red markings around the gills. (They were pretty much the same in terms of losses, just not as quickly as this!!!)

I don't know if they all had red gill areas but none of them (except for the current struggler) do. Their gills have either 'unreddened' or weren't red to begin with and I was only noticing those fish that were!!

Strange but at the mo unhappy with these fish.

Andy

Because I'm in a good mood and a change of behaviour the Boraras may well get a reprieve and remain in this tank now.

The count is (I think 18) remaining and all the 'Merah' seem to have been the weaklings only leaving the Maculatus. I say think because its hard to count things that move :)

No floaters/jumpers/filter sniffers today or yesterday and the fish seem to now be much calmer and do tend to stick in the same area (or half) of the tank as each other now.

I have no idea what made the change. Whether it is the smaller number, whether it is that they are now a single species.

Could be CO2. I used the solution supplied with the DC as my bromo blue but was registering green permanently so I redid the DC with API Ph reagent. This is because of the red gills. They are fine late on but not during the day so I assume the CO2 was pretty high and the DC wasn't telling me.

Was using 3bps through an Up inline atomizer and from reports on the web these work much better than others with most users reporting they have to turn the bubble rate down. Mine has been on 1bps for the last 2 days.

Also I have removed the circulation pump. The plantmass isn't that high so we'll see how it goes. Just running with the 5.6x turnover of the Eheim now.

Why am I in a good mood? Spent most of yesterday moving Cory eggs into a little net :) Last 2 batches have been duds so hopefully this will be a better result.

Andy

Sounds good, I read that about the diffusers, so good it makes the water coming from the inlet look misty. Glad your keeping the fish tho do love micro rasbora.

Most reactions

Back