Portinho Da Arrábida - Uma Vista De Troia

Ah cool, there identical to the ones going in my Cuban Stream scape. Currently on order as the lfs that sells them only ever has 4 or 5. I need 20 :).

Lol. There were tons in the Aquarium. 70p each too :) Not bad....£21 for 30 hard to find fish.

I've put the Cory out of it's misery. Couldn't watch any longer. Was covered in shrimp and better to make it quick than be eaten alive :(

Andy

Yeah sometimes it's better that way. Yeah my lfs does them 10 for £10 couldn't resist after seeing the tiny little things swimming round, very colourful to, kind of rival killi's for me colour wise.

not sure these are the same ones then. Merah are quite a bit more subtle in colouring. Its Brigittae (Chilli Rasbora) that are the intense red with black line.

These are much more plain with red hints and a black dot :)

Andy

Hmmm maybe, they look similar but then that's google for ya lol.

these WILL look great in your tank Andy. They will add perfect contrast in there. As you say they are quit subtle in colour, the males do get quite red looking. I'm looking forward to coming to see these!

Good choice with the fish. I have kept all three of these Boraras species, and I stopped using common names for them a couple years ago. Too many common names.

My personal favorite is B. uropthalmoides. B. merah schools better, however. Any chance of a picture?

They are Merah. They have the distinct light ring around the black dot.

They are not red enough are they?
Hard to say which is actually more red of the Merah and Maculatus. There are conflicting reports on the net, both by owners and by 'experts'. I guess its their surroundings, light colouration used etc which can make subtle differences. Under my white lights most things (like Cherry Shrimp) don't look as red as others say they do however I prefer that. It's the natural appearance rather than an enhanced version produced by using pink bulbs :)

Some pictures:

The Boraras Merah being acclimitised:
DSCF2388.JPG

Exploring the 'mountain tops'
DSCF2398.JPG

A shot from the distance showing the 'temporary' plant mass
DSCF2404.JPG

Loving fighting against the 2000lph waver 2000
DSCF2410.JPG

The return journey over the 'mountain tops'
DSCF2413.JPG

No idea why that chair is there. lol. This is my viewing station.
DSCF2416.JPG

Andy

I do agree, they look like B.maculatus to me, the tank is looking fantastic!

The Microrasbora's fit the scape so well.

Here are both species.

DSC00383.jpg

Merah has a slightly different body shape and there is a distinct orange neon border to the black spot. Maculatus lacks this ring.

i was reading on another site that Merah has the ring around the black spot where Maculatus is more diffused from the colour into the black?

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum/showthread.php/17648-Difference-between-Boraras-maculatus-and-Merah

Zoom in on my pics Liz. They do have the orange neon border round the black spot!!

I'll help you :)
DSCF2400.jpg

Andy

Most reactions

Back