Pearls Of The Antilles... Llj's Planted Marine

Looks good, nice scape that's some very White sand ( won't be for long :lol:) :good: I can see it planted in my head and I think the scape will work great when it's all finished

Just wait until you do a fw planted with rocks in the scape the possibilities are crud compared to marine rock scaping lol

looks very nice llj! Can't wait to see this develop. As a fellow corner tank owner, i would suggest a cable tidy running down the back seem of the tank. I'm sure you've already thought of that though. :good:

I do like a SW tank with a tunnel/cave :good:

Who doesn't?

Looks good, nice scape that's some very White sand ( won't be for long :lol:) :good: I can see it planted in my head and I think the scape will work great when it's all finished

Just wait until you do a fw planted with rocks in the scape the possibilities are crud compared to marine rock scaping lol

Thanks, Bae. It's funny, I never really scaped a FW with rocks, only maybe an accent rock here and there. This time, I had really good rock to work with.

looks very nice llj! Can't wait to see this develop. As a fellow corner tank owner, i would suggest a cable tidy running down the back seem of the tank. I'm sure you've already thought of that though. :good:

Actually, I hadn't thought about it, so thanks. If the cords are long enough, I'll definitely do this. I actually like the look of the wall background, so I won't have a background for this tank. Only my 2.5g gets one because it gets naturaly sunlight and I have to block it.

Some pictures... All cleared up. I shifted the rock a bit to look for the urchin a couple of days ago and didn't put it back in scape form. LOLOL

b9f944a7.jpg

My sea urchin is still alive... Actually was super suprised to find him during the day.

31fb58d1.jpg

bbb73d9a.jpg

And some video of the urchin.

In addition to the urchin, we have speghetti worms, colonial hydroids and a feather duster (small one).

thanks for looking. :)

Well, I did some narrowing down. Doesn't seem like I did, but I'm also taking into account availability. I also took into account whether or not the algae is edible, so the urchin won't bother it. I'll grow some edible stuff in my refugiums so I can feed him. :) I still want to name him. He needs a fun Pirates of the Caribbean name. :D

Halophila decipiens - short seagrass
Halodule wrightii - tall seagrass, resembles vallisneria a bit
Halimeda incrassate - A Halimeda for the substrate
Halimeda opuntia - A halimeda for rockwork
Padina - very cool brown macro, looks a bit like some terrestrial mushrooms
Dictoya - brown macro algae, more fragile than the others
Chondria - red algae, fine texture
Gelidium - more leathery, and fernlike

Thanks for looking.

llj

Guess who has diatoms? I'll test my water soon. I've got to make more RO and SW now and need to think about ordering another bucket of salt.

llj

So have I missed anything?

I don't know have you looked at my other journals? I put up CUC's in the two picos. This one is close to getting its CUC. I've got LR up and have a sea urchin in this tank as a hitch hiker, does that sound familiar?

So have I missed anything?

I don't know have you looked at my other journals? I put up CUC's in the two picos. This one is close to getting its CUC. I've got LR up and have a sea urchin in this tank as a hitch hiker, does that sound familiar?

Nice, I have tried to have a quick look for 5-10 mins at night but am still not home so am using my phone. Glad the urchin is still going. Is it time for more cuc then? Have you used all your salt already? How are your water stats?

Seeing the diatoms prompted me to check my water. I've got the nitrIte spike in this tank now, so no CUC yet. I've not seen Mr. Spinypants, so my guess is that he died. I've got too many caves to dig around to try & find him, so he feeds the bacteria colony with his lifeless body. No I haven't used all my salt yet, but I like thinking ahead. I have to order dosing chemicals anyway for the planted Marine. Otherwise stats are good... Sg's at 1.025, pH at 8.3, no ammonia.

L

Hope you find Spinypants one day, but if not as you said he will still contribute to the tank. Sounds like you are almost ready for some (other) life in there.

don't give up on him yet, urchins seem to have the ability to squeeze themselves into places that it really doesn't look like they should fit in, so he may just be hiding for now

Hope you find Spinypants one day, but if not as you said he will still contribute to the tank. Sounds like you are almost ready for some (other) life in there.

That's Mr. Spinypants. I have a feeling that name's going to stick. LOLOL

don't give up on him yet, urchins seem to have the ability to squeeze themselves into places that it really doesn't look like they should fit in, so he may just be hiding for now

I'm not giving up on him, but expect the worst, hope for the best. These urchins burrow into sand and into rock, and I've got a 4" sand bed & more caves than you can count, so Mr. Spinypants could be ANYWHERE in my tank. I'm just way too lazy to look.

I'm going to prepare some SW and make some RO to prepare for the large water change when this cycle finishes. I'll be moving some of the pico CUC to this tank...

I think I'll have...

Blue-legged hermits (I'll just move the ones I have)
Nassarius snails
Asteraea snails

If I can find ceriths for the picos, I'd prefer them as they are much smaller.

looks good hun!

i have nassarius snails, funny things, they start going up the glass when i put food in :lol:

Most reactions

Back