Our Journey To The Salty Side - Part One

:crazy: my gorgeous orange and blue ricordea has decided he doesn't like the lime light and has moved himself behind the rocks :shout: to get him out I will have to move corals and lr from the right side of the tank - do you think there is any chance he will come back out himself as there isn't much light there?

Seffie x

:fish:

So, Sunday afternoon is here, what am I doing? i'm up to my arms in salt water, moving lr and corals around just to get my lovely Ric out from the back :crazy:

thought ok, have been putting off sticking my frags that I have on reef discs - and now I know why, bloody reef putty, makes your tank cloudy AND doesn't stick! Ok, get the reef glue out, that works better but give up half way through, so only got three stuck on AND I really don't like the look of those reef discs :crazy: So, have left the other three at the bottom of the tank to grow a bit and cover the disc!

So, all in all a bloody fantastic afternoon, what more could you want, except to be out coral hunting and having a lovely lunch cooked by someone else (bit like BigC is doing today really!)

Seffie x

Been a while since I visited, but just wanted to chime in here quick. Torch corals are very poor shippers, probably why yours didn't survive the trip home. They're also the most sensitive of the Euphyllia to calcium, alkalinity, magnesium and phosphate and will react very poorly if one or more of these is out of whack. So make sure you're testing and dosing as necessary. Time to get that chemistry suit out :)

Thanks Ski, I spend so much time with testing kits think I'll became a chemist :lol: But wait eek :crazy: haven't got one for magnesium.
If I'm not elbow deep in saltwater I'm testing if I'm not testing I'm doing water change if I'm not water changing I'm watching tank if I'm not watching I'm feeding if I'm not feeding I'm hatching if I'm not hatching I'm at LFS looking if I'm not looking Then I'm at work. LIFE WHAT LIFE :blush: sound familiar to anyone :rofl:

Very familiar :)

Having high magnesium will prevent precipitation events in the aquarium and in general keep calcium and alkalinity more balanced and easeir to maintain. Magnesium does not need to be tested for as often as calcium or alkalinity though. I only test mine every 3 weeks or so

LIFE WHAT LIFE
We all go down that route, What folks dont understand is the amount of time and effort that goes into maintaining a marine tank, even a small one. I had 100 fish tanks in a purpose built fish-house in the back garden and boy this one Nano has given me more headachs that all that went before. Latin names, plant names, plant aquaculture, freshwater chemistry, breeding my beloved Killifish was a doddle, this has been a whole new chapter in fishkeeping for me, Its been hard, not much margin for error. Simple mistakes can be costly. So everyone here has the Stress Factor Trod, you are not alone. :lol: When I first started out I adopted two mentors who knew their stuff, namely Steelhealr and Skifletch, I listened to everything they had to say, without them I dont think I would have come as far as I have in this side of the hobby.
................................................................................

Trod have you got one of those tanks with rear chambers. Just thinking about this brineshrimp thing.
One you dont need that particular hatcher any recepticle will do. If you can get something that will hang in your rear compartments (with a little DIY) then your sorted.
BigC

................................................................................

Trod have you got one of those tanks with rear chambers. Just thinking about this brineshrimp thing.
One you dont need that particular hatcher any recepticle will do. If you can get something that will hang in your rear compartments (with a little DIY) then your sorted.
BigC

Yes I have, but it doesn't get much light in there. For now I'm just hatching a couple of times a week, and taking hatchery out between times. I am also feeding copepods once a week.

After christmas I am looking to buy something more suitable which I can put in different room as pump is rather noisey.

I was having a look around and came across this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COMPLETE-REFUGIUM-MU...A1%7C240%3A1318

I really know nothing about these, can someone give advice as to whether this is good or a waste of money.
If it is good how would it attach to tank, would it mean drilling a hole, which is not an option for me.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ignoring the "facts" that they have put up there (which for the most part are complete crap) that looks like it will work. I cant tell if it is a hang on the back one or one that sits inside the tank but you wont need to drill any holes in it. If it is a HOB one it clips to the side of your tank and you have a pump in the tank which fills it with water and then it overflows back into the tank again.

Right Have been talking about my pain of an emerald crab in differant thread, but couldn't post pictures there so thought I'd put them here

001.JPG

008.JPG

He is around 3" big and just look at those pinchers :crazy: he is able to move LR and corals, which he does frequently, he wedges himself underneath then pushes, I have seen him do it. I really Really hope he doesn't get any bigger otherwise I will have to think about sending him back to LFS thats if I can catch him of course :shout:

Here you go Gary, a picture of my lovely Hammer along with the Frogspawn - they are a little close together but so far so good :good: They are placed at the top of the tank in a fairly swift flow

moto_0111.jpg

A close up

moto_0112.jpg

Seffie x

Here you go Gary, a picture of my lovely Hammer along with the Frogspawn - they are a little close together but so far so good :good: They are placed at the top of the tank in a fairly swift flow

moto_0111.jpg

A close up

moto_0112.jpg

Seffie x

Very Nice! Some pics of mine on my thread!! not the best pics mine dont seem to be happy! not sure why? do they like strong flow or not much at all?

At one point my frogspawn was not in much flow - he never fully extended until I placed him in a vigorous flow and more light, I actually think it is the flow which seems to be the most important factor for them to fully extend :good:

Seffie x

:crazy: I'm afraid my lovely clove polpy is slowly dying - water stats are fine and everything else is happy, could it need iodine?

Seffie x

Most reactions

Back