Our Journey To The Salty Side - Part One

How are the mandairins doing then guys?
any new piccies for us?

Milly Molly Mandy appears to be doing well, her colours have intensified (they are amazing colours, royal blue, deep orange and turquoise green) and she appears to be getting plumper - she is a funny thing, she almost looks like she has an enlongated nose or beak which gets longer when she is catching a pod - will take some pictures soon :good:

Trod's Mandy is tiny in comparsion, she is about as big as MMM's tail, how cute

Seffie x

:fish:

Well guys, ive just spent the last while reading this entire thread and im thoroughly impressed. Your tanks look excellent and the mandarins are so cute. Its nearly convinced me to try a nano in my vacant tank. Thanks for the great read and keep up the great work with all those pictures.

Trod's Mandy is tiny in comparsion, she is about as big as MMM's tail, how cute

Seffie x

:lol: my fish is bigger than your fish :p

What a tease you are Barney :p but yeah you are right, mines bigger than hers :lol:

Seffie x

Well guys, ive just spent the last while reading this entire thread and im thoroughly impressed. Your tanks look excellent and the mandarins are so cute. Its nearly convinced me to try a nano in my vacant tank. Thanks for the great read and keep up the great work with all those pictures.

Why thank you kind sir, we have enjoyed every minute of the planning, the talking to people on tff, making new friends and learning new facts about this crazy hobby - also spent a huge amount of money :crazy:

Welcome to the Salty side Xebadir, I also read your new thread this morning and am looking forward to watching your tank come to life. :good:

Seffie x

Thank you kindly :good: as seffie has already said we are really enjoying our time in the salty side, I was a complete novice 6 months ago and knew nothing at all, but after spending days reading the pinned topics and threads on this forum I began to learn, I really enjoy the whole experience now, and am busy planning (and saving!!!!) for my big tank now.

As for the Mandarins, Yes mine is smaller than hers but fully formed :rofl: She is doing really well, Thank you Seffie for the pods, my delivery didn't arrive over the christmas period and seffie came to the rescue with a pot of pods :wub:

She is great to watch and loves swimming around with the clowns, which is lovely to watch.

Tank is ok at the moment, but I had another rock fall and it split my xenia in 3, seffie is having 1 them and I shall keep the other 2, I have moved my goniporia to the top of the tank as it was beginning to look poor and thankfully more light and flow has done it the world of good and its looking better :good:
I am still considering a complete overhaul (as BigC did) and my emerald crab may be going back to LFS, I get very depressed after each rockfall as I really don't like my aquascaping at the moment.

I am looking to start a refugium soon and start my own pods, the brine shrimp hatchery has been put on back burner for a while probably untill my big tank arrives.

I am planning for the coming months just need the money now :blush:

As for the Mandarins, Yes mine is smaller than hers but fully formed :rofl:

lol :lol:

You probably already know but dont feel bad if your goniporia doesnt survive long term. They are apprently extremely difficult to keep long term (and nobody really knows why). They tend to stay happy and healthy for ages then sudden die for no reason.

Sucks about the rockfall but its one why to frag your corals I guess :) If it keeps happening though I would have a look at rearranging (and moving the crab if he is the cause) as it only takes a bit to fall in the wrong direction to break the tank :(

You probably already know but dont feel bad if your goniporia doesnt survive long term. They are apprently extremely difficult to keep long term (and nobody really knows why). They tend to stay happy and healthy for ages then sudden die for no reason.

Yes I found this out after I had bought it unfortunately, but it is coming out again now since I moved it and looking good at the moment so fingers crossed :good:

Sucks about the rockfall but its one why to frag your corals I guess :) If it keeps happening though I would have a look at rearranging (and moving the crab if he is the cause) as it only takes a bit to fall in the wrong direction to break the tank :(

Yes, its beginning to become a bit to regular now, I have seen the crab move the rock, he sort of wedges himself underneath then pushes up :grr:
not really sure how to catch him but I am seriously thinking of a total refurb, seffie has managed to get some large containers to put rock and livestock in so would hopefully be able to get hold of the blighter then
:sick:

Yeah catching crabs is not fun (lol that maybe doesnt read too well :lol:).

I had one in my nano that started off looking very pretty but then he decided to start eating everything in the tank (from other crabs, to snails and then the last straw was a clown fish). I tried all the normal tricks (glasses with food in, bottle trap, etc) but in the end I had to take out every piece of rock to get to him (and even when there was only one bit left he still put up a hell of a fight)!

This was him :) he used to sit on top of the tank daring me to try and catch him (alas he was a LOT quicker then me :) ).
Crabicus.jpg

Yeah catching crabs is not fun (lol that maybe doesnt read too well :lol:).

:rofl: I'll heed your warning!!!!

Not looking forward to catching him, might have to rope seffie in for the mission :ninja: and make a day of it :drinks: :drink:

I'm up for that :good: i'll hold your coat whilst you catch crabs :good: I do a great lesson on sexually transmitted infections, one of course being crabs - you should see the kids faces when you show them an enlarged picture of one :rofl:

Oh I love that lesson :p

Seffie x

Right, the bloody aptaisia has been given it's marching orders - Good old BigC has come up trumps and I have purchased a Aeolidiella stephanieae nudibranch :good:

So, when he has eaten his way through my tank (the Nudibranch not BigC :lol: ) I will be looking to pass him on to someone with the same problem (don't want him to starve to death :crazy: ), let me know if you would be interested :good: not sure how long he will take to finish the stuff off so can't promise a time scale.

Info from: Berghianet

Natural Aiptasia control is the goal of most reef keepers. Thousands of reef hobbyists and professionals now know that the Aiptasia removed by Berghia nudibranchs do not leave remnants from the foot of the Aiptasia behind to grow back later. Biologists and advanced reef keepers now recognize our Berghia nudibranchs are the only method of Aiptasia control or removal that consume the Aiptasia's Planula Larva preventing them from being released into the water column. Aiptasia species anemones are imported from around the world on maricultured coral plugs and live rocks as well as traded between tanks on macro algaes and at frag swaps. Aiptasia are also easily obtained from aquacultured corals that are grown in facilities that have not started using Berghia for Aiptasia control. Berghia are the only absolute natural Aiptasia control that can get down under, in holes and cracks and specifically remove the Aiptasia anemones including all of Berghia Verrucicornis Nudibranch Eating Aiptasia Anemone.
Originally widely published in journals and reef trade articles as one species, history reveals that several different species have been combined as if they were all one species. The nudibranch that exclusively feeds on Aiptasia anemones received it's own distinct taxonomical record in 2005. As of that date, the common name for the aquarium industry will remain "Berghia" and the correct scientific name is Aeolidiella stephanieae for this species.
the pedal lacerates and tiny Aiptasia that are the result of spawning in the reef. There is no fish or shrimp that can get all those tiny Aiptasia beginnings. Berghia may be combined with an Aiptasia eating fish to naturally control Aiptasia but the nudibranch is effective without any help when given the time. If a fish is used, the fish will keep some of the anemones that can be seen from growing on the top side of rocks and the Berghia nudibranch will remove the rest of the Aiptasia from the top, between coral colonies and from down under. It is the down under part we don't see that is the most important for a complete and final solution. It is possible to control Aiptasia species anemones such as Aiptasia mutabilis, Aiptasia pallida [Dysactis pallida], Aiptasia pulchella, Aiptasia californica with the Berghia nudibranch (occassionally misspelled as Bergia, a plant taxonomy) also known as Aeolidiella stephanieae. .

Seffie x

Nice one Seffie x aka Stephanie :p
Lets know how thing go, you can be a pioneer for the rest of us.
Regards
BigC

Most reactions

Back