My cycling update thread...

YOU asked for my help and I declined to give it, giving a good reason for not doing so and suggested that asking me about this
When you said that I thought you meant this form of cycling was pointless and you were saying that planted cycling is 100% the way to go... Basically I thought you were being stubborn and not open to other forms of dping things

I'll also make the point that almost every single time someone presents us with a problem in their fish tanks, plants feature heavily in the solution and, when I asked who had planted tanks, the vast majority admitted to doing so.
I'll assume that there's good reason for this
Did I say I wasnt doing a planted tank?

At this stage I would personally hold off on plants. You are almost cycled - another couple of weeks or so you should be there. I would get @Essjay's opinion.

At this stage I would personally hold off on plants. You are almost cycled - another couple of weeks or so you should be there. I would get @Essjay's opinion.
Ok, thanks! Will do. What do I do when I'm away for my trip for 3-4 days? It'll be during the daily testing time... No cancelling either

don't worry about being away for a few days...just continue testing when you return.

don't worry about being away for a few days...just continue testing when you return.
Ok! Thanks. The vacation will either make me stress about what is happening to my aquarium while we're away or make me forget for just a little and give me a break... Lol

The risk of getting plants too soon is simply that there are some plants which don't like high levels of ammonia in the water - such as adding enough to get 3 ppm. At the beginning of a cycle, that 3 ppm stays in the water for days and can harm the sensitive plants. But at the end, the level shouldn't stay high for more than a few hours. And most plants are OK even with 3 ppm for days, but in my case it would be typical for me to get only plants which are sensitive :rolleyes:.

Is it days or weeks before the vacation?
If it's days, I would just wait to get plants. If you plant now then go away I would worry about the plants being OK. I wouldn't worry about the bacteria. The worst that can happen is that the cycle will take a day or two longer.

If it's a couple of weeks till the vacation, I think I would get the plants now. That gives time to see if the plants are OK before leaving them, and at this stage a 3 ppm dose of ammonia won't be in the tank long.

The risk of getting plants too soon is simply that there are some plants which don't like high levels of ammonia in the water - such as adding enough to get 3 ppm. At the beginning of a cycle, that 3 ppm stays in the water for days and can harm the sensitive plants. But at the end, the level shouldn't stay high for more than a few hours. And most plants are OK even with 3 ppm for days, but in my case it would be typical for me to get only plants which are sensitive :rolleyes:.

If it's days, I would just wait to get plants. If you plant now then go away I would worry about the plants being OK. I wouldn't worry about the bacteria. The worst that can happen is that the cycle will take a day or two longer.

If it's a couple of weeks till the vacation, I think I would get the plants now. That gives time to see if the plants are OK before leaving them, and at this stage a 3 ppm dose of ammonia won't be in the tank long.
The vacation will be in about 2-1/2 weeks. I will also have floater plants that will help bring down the ammonia when they start spreading... The other species are slow growers being: Java fern and anubias coffeefolia.

Amm: 0ppm
Nitrite: 5ppm+
Nitrate: 160ppm+
1030211133.jpg

I think I'm going to order the plants up today then, wdyt?

I think I'm going to order the plants up today then, wdyt?
@Essjay. Sorry for the bump, but I do need to know before I try to order today if you think I can get the plants in...

I think that would be good. You can still follow the timetable for the cycle but be aware that some, if not all, the ammonia you add will be taken up by the plants and not turned into nitrite.
The nitrite in the tank now and any made after you get plants will still need to be removed by bacteria, but there is plenty time for that both before and during your vacation.
When you return, even if they were zero before you left on vacation, the first thing I would do is test for both ammonia and nitrite. If they are both zero, add 3 ppm ammonia and test again next day. If they are both zero, you can get fish, but if not just complete the cycle first.

Don't forget to leave the tank lights to turn on and off while you are away :)

I think that would be good. You can still follow the timetable for the cycle but be aware that some, if not all, the ammonia you add will be taken up by the plants and not turned into nitrite.
The nitrite in the tank now and any made after you get plants will still need to be removed by bacteria, but there is plenty time for that both before and during your vacation.
When you return, even if they were zero before you left on vacation, the first thing I would do is test for both ammonia and nitrite. If they are both zero, add 3 ppm ammonia and test again next day. If they are both zero, you can get fish, but if not just complete the cycle first.

Don't forget to leave the tank lights to turn on and off while you are away :)
Ok! Thank you. Most of the plants are slow growers, so I'm hoping that the nitrites will still be going but the ammonia will still be evenly shared with the plants. Also, yes I will run the light during the vacation, thank you.

and don't forget to do a near 100% wc at the end of cycling to remove the excess nitrates...very important

and don't forget to do a near 100% wc at the end of cycling to remove the excess nitrates...very important
Yes, I will. It'll probably be around a 75%

Most reactions

Back