My cycling update thread...

Last time I did a fishless cycle, nitrite first showed up on day 16 (just a trace, less than 0.25) and it finally dropped to zero on day 43. Then I added the final 3 ppm dose, but both were not zero next day :(. I finally had double zeros the day after adding 3 ppm ammonia on day 48.
Thats definitely going to be after my trip

With plants in the tank before you go, there should be little, if any, nitrite made and you may well find nitrite is zero by the time you get back. If it is, you'll just need to test it with a dose of ammonia to make sure.

With plants in the tank before you go, there should be little, if any, nitrite made and you may well find nitrite is zero by the time you get back. If it is, you'll just need to test it with a dose of ammonia to make sure.
Ok! Thanks for the info!

Here is my evening tests...

Amm: 0ppm

Nitrite: almost appears to be 2-5ppm but uts most likely 5ppm+
1102211853.jpg

What day did you start cycling, this thread started 19th October, which means you have only been doing this for two weeks. This process is going to take around 5-6 weeks, so you are nowhere near halfway yet.

What day did you start cycling, this thread started 19th October, which means you have only been doing this for two weeks. This process is going to take around 5-6 weeks, so you are nowhere near halfway yet.
Actually my cycle has been going pretty fast. I'm on day 16 and the area I'm at is expected to be at day 21-25. Of course I have a few more weeks to go I know that but I am about half way or more done... I have already done the snack dose and now all I have left is waiting for the nitrites to drop and to do the 3ppm amm until nitrites and amm are both 0 in a day. I know where I am at dont worry.

All of my fishless cycles took right at 3 weeks to complete, using pure ammonia.

All of my fishless cycles took right at 3 weeks to complete, using pure ammonia.
I'm expecting it to take a 2-3 more weeks to cycle. Not getting my hopes up BUT that is awesome that it went quickly for you!

I'm expecting it to take a 2-3 more weeks to cycle. Not getting my hopes up BUT that is awesome that it went quickly for you!
Follow the cycling instructions, temp around 82F, use a bubbler....easy enough

Why? It's just going to slow the cycle...unless that's part of your plan, for vacay...
Yes for the vacation and so its already at the needed temp for the fish... I was messing around with decor a few days ago and decided that while I have my gloves on and the lid and lights off I'll just turn it down.

Morning results... I should stop testing 2 times a day and just do it once in the evening...
1103211054.jpg

Would you guys say its at a 2? Maybe a bit more than 2?
1105212215.jpg

Great news!! The nitrites amd nitrates are leveling out!!! Almost, (notice I said almost) there! The snails are also all over my new piece of wood! Its snail approved!
1111212156.jpg

Most reactions

Back