Maybe a bit creepy!

@TheTenthDoctor I thought you looklike this?
1591848193062.png

Ok this is me what I look like View attachment 106729
You are a very pretty girl.

I know that when I was young if someone said "You have nice eyes" I used to assume that the rest of me was unspeakable :(and for that reason I'm slightly reluctant to say anything . . . BUT you have a lovely face with well-balanced features, and your eyes are particularly pretty.

So did I :)

Well in the new Doctor Who series, the Doctor did become a woman. I'm not sure how that is possible. I can understand Time Lords regenerating, but if they are male, they should not become female.
In general I would agree with you, because human biology does not allow males to become females or vice versa - in fact, I think that even among fish, occasionally females can become males, but not males, females

HOWEVER . . . The Doctor is not human - he is Galifreian*, has umpteen hearts and all sorts of other stuff we are probably unaware of, so I am prepared to suspend disbelief. Perhaps it is because he had gone a regeneration too far - wasn't this one an "extra" one? His last male one should have been his last altogether? Perhaps that alters the chromosomes and DNA at the cellular level.

Though I will admit that I, personally, would have preferred that he remained male - and maybe short, fat and bespectacled for a change (perhaps James Bradshaw would be a good candidate for the role) - it would have been nice if they could have had him NOT regenerate, but (say) an unexpected female Galifreian whizzed out of the ether and took over his role.

Having said that, the theological implications of him being both male and female are quite profound, though I doubt that that was the intention.

*apologies if I have spelled this incorrectly

In general I would agree with you, because human biology does not allow males to become females or vice versa - in fact, I think that even among fish, occasionally females can become males, but not males, females
Male anemonefish (clownfish) turn into females.

In anemonefish circles, the dominant fish is female and the next dominant is male. All the other fish that rank below that are unsexed juveniles (neither male nor female). If one of the dominant pair die, everyone moves up the pecking order one notch.

If the female dies, the male becomes female and the dominant juvenile becomes male.

If the male dies, the dominant juvenile becomes male and breeds with the original female.

They take about 2 weeks to change sex.

---------------------
Barramundi are all males until they reach about 18 inches long, then they turn into females.

---------------------
Wrasses and Leatherjacket/ Triggerfish all start out female and when one dominant fish sets up a territory, it turns into a male.

You are a very pretty girl.

I know that when I was young if someone said "You have nice eyes" I used to assume that the rest of me was unspeakable :(and for that reason I'm slightly reluctant to say anything . . . BUT you have a lovely face with well-balanced features, and your eyes are particularly pretty.
thank you! I know the feeling "Omg if my eyes are pretty and only my eyes what must the rest of me look like? Am I really that bad???"

I'm just old :lol:
Yes, one reaches a point where things like "ugly" just don't matter that much anymore. ha ha ha (By the way, Essjay, I see you are from Teesside. I spent some time around Durham [Chester Le Street, to be exact] a few years back. Lovely area. I particularly enjoyed the Beamish living history area. Is it still running?)

I complete my 49th trip around the sun later this week. (Hiking, hugs from my girls, and a medium-rare rib eye are in the forecast) I am mostly enjoying getting older. I can still do the things I did when I was 25. I just hurt a lot more the next day.

Hey, all you insecure youngsters, may I go into pedantic-old-man mode here for a minute or two?

[/pedantic old man mode: on]

About half of this thread seems to be variations on the "No, you're not ugly, I'M ugly" theme. I have had a few glimpses of the grand scheme of things, and I can tell you that in the grand scheme of things, your prettiness or ugliness doesn't mean diddly squat. I haven't seen anybody on this thread that I would consider physically ugly, but if I did, I wouldn't care. I understand the struggle; I get caught up in it, too, sometimes. But it just doesn't matter.

The sooner you learn contentment, the happier and healthier you will be. Someone already pointed this out, I think: Young people wish they were older. Older people wish they were younger. People with curly hair wish they had straight hair, and vice versa. People who have three eyes wish they only had two. What an enormous waste of energy. As Colonel Potter said, "If you ain't where you is, you're no place."

Here's the deal: You are a project on God's workbench. Choose to become something useful and beautiful. Your physical attributes, your background, your wealth, your strengths and weaknesses are the raw material you've been given. You have no control over that stuff. But you can choose to let God make you into something beautiful. There is a person on this forum who makes stunningly beautiful artwork out of old shoes. Your raw material does NOT determine the worth of the finished product.

Bullies can make life miserable, but they don't determine your worth either. You can keep your head high, because hard times teach you perseverance and compassion, deepen your character, and give you the capacity to hope. Don't let the ugly people make you ugly. Life is supposed to be hard, and if it isn't bullies it will be something else. Heroes never arise when things are easy, and inspiring stories never happen when everything is going according to plan. What matters is what you do with the hard times. So stand up to bullies when you must, but pity them, too. They are miserably unhappy people who, for whatever reason, have never learned the beauty that can come through bad times.

Boys and girls, I lost my mom about six years ago to complications from a long, long, long fight with severe chronic pain. But even though that pain destroyed her body, it couldn't touch who she was. She never lost her smile, her faith, her hope, her love. She never stopped trying to help people, even as she was suffering pain I can't even understand. Nope, she wasn't much to look at, there toward the end. And she was the bravest, strongest, most beautiful person I've ever known. In the end, THAT is what matters: Who you help, what you become, what you stand for, the legacy you leave.

So quit gazing in the mirror, and see the big picture. You've got one life, guys. Make it count for something.

[\pedantic old man mode]

Most reactions

Back