Juwel Rio 125 Tropical To Marine Conversion

gotta disagree with seffie on this :sick: :lol: but ive put eggcrate on my new tanks base and its made scaping much easier thus far and the only thin g it could do would cause dead spots but its under sand any way so it wouldnt get any flow anyway

and skifletch actually recommended it to bigc in his journal

but hey i could be unaware of other probs

gotta disagree with seffie on this :sick: :lol: but ive put eggcrate on my new tanks base and its made scaping much easier thus far and the only thin g it could do would cause dead spots but its under sand any way so it wouldnt get any flow anyway

and skifletch actually recommended it to bigc in his journal

but hey i could be unaware of other probs

iv left it in for now until i get some more info on the possible probs :) the sandbed wont be going down for a week or so anyway.

found some more life in there this morning, is this a bristleworm? few different snails in there too.
P9100030.jpg

P9100032.jpg

P9100033.jpg

changed the rock around
P9100031.jpg

edit: just found out its a bristleworm. Its in a pot atm, should i put him in the refugium, main tank or dispose?

just tested the water too.

saturday:
ph: 8
Alk: 1.6
NO2: 0.1
NO3: 50>75
SG: 1.020

today:
ph: 8
alk: 1
NO2: 0.05
NO3: 75
SG: 1.021

does this mean somethings happening? ^^^

Yes, its a bristle worm, put him back in the tank, he is a good member of the cuc, but dont touch him :crazy:

I see the problem as little compartments of trouble waiting to happen :sick:

Seffie x

all parameters still the same but theres signs of life in there.. :) snails, a few brittle stars, another fireworm. think theres a mushroom thing growing too and loads of tube things sticking out of the rock, a feather looking thing is sticking out of a long white tube in the rock. getting red coraline too, some of the purple has died tho. some flourescent yellow sponge things on the rock aswell.

ill get some pics up tomorrow, the water should be nice and clear by then.

it seems you were right seffie. had the first egg crate problem today, bit of a relief finding what i did though. that fireworm that i found earlier must have been a baby. looked in my tank when i got home from work only to find one wrapped around the egg crate a few times, stuck. pulled the egg crate out and when it extended itself must have been a foot long. pics to follow. its currently in a tub in my sump while i decide what to do with it. when i put the rock back an endless string of bristleworm started coming out of one piece. that one must have been 2 foot long like a piece of string. getting a little collection in my holding tub.

Oh yuck, now that is too long......... what you going to do with them?

Seffie x

not sure what to do with them. how do you get rid of this sort of thing? toilet?

never really had to chuck anything like this away.

P9130034.jpg

P9130030.jpg

P9130035.jpg

P9140049.jpg

tanks looking like this for now. need to get the skimmer in the sump when the tanks cycled. still waiting for the koralia 2. when its here thatl be going in the corner and the one on the right behind the rock

P9140045.jpg

whats this growing on the rock?
P9140046.jpg

P9140047.jpg

P9140048.jpg

i bin any big bristle worms in the outside bin

and pic 1 button polyp

pic 2 looks like sponge

pic 3 feather dusters and what looks like sponge in the middle

worms now in the bin :)

Just tested the water again and results as follows

PH: 8
NO2: almost zero
NO3: 25>50
ALK: 1
completely forgot about testing for ammonia so gonna get a kit tomorrow

the previous test was

PH: 8
NO2: 0.05
NO3: 50>75
ALK: 1

does this mean anything to anyone lol

You should actually leave the Bristle worms alone in future, they provide excellent sand sifiting service to your tank, aslong as you wear gloves when touching your tank, which you should do anyway, you'd be fine! :good:

dont mind them as long as theyr not huge like the ones i took out. i wear gloves when i mess on with the tank. need to get some thicker ones. gonna get the chemical gauntlets from b&q on the weekend. should keep the water out completely and stop any punctures.

Dont bother buying the ammonia kit, you are passed that stage :kana: you just need to wait for the NitRIte to disappear, then do a large water change, wait 48 hours, test again and if nitRAte <10 go get your cuc woo hoo........

Seffie x

returned from a weekend away this afternoon and decided to take a trip to the lfs. got them to test my water to see if anything has happened while i was away. the results were as follows

PH 8.1
AMM 0
NO2 0
NO3 <25

said the water is spot on for adding CUC so i bought some :D

3 Turbos
1 hermit
1 cleaner shrimp

could do with getting some more next week

any suggestions?

found a couple more worms poking their heads out of the rock but decided to leave them as theyr not looking too big. still unsure about them. the hermit dug up a dead one and has been eating it for the last hour or so.

Most reactions

Back