Juwel Rio 125 Tropical To Marine Conversion

theres 2 boxes with 3 test kits in. one does nitrite and the other does ph and alkalinity. do i need any more.

You do indeed: ammonia, nitrate

iv got a hydrometer but have no idea what it does yet. is that to measure the salt? what does the refractometer do?

Ditch the hydrometer and get yourself the salties toy, a refractometer - you will need it to check the sg of your water

was just thinking about what fish im gonna put in there. would like a pair of clowns,

Its got to be done, buy two small juvies so you can watch one turn into the female :good:

a few chromis and maybe a tang. from what im reading tangs need a bigger tank. are there any smaller species of tang that would be happy in my tank?

I'm afraid not, even the smallest tang needs approx 75 gallons. I would also forget the chromis,you need at least five to stop aggression (they kill the weakest)

what about boxfish and triggers? could they go in there?

I'm afraid not

Seffie x

theres 2 boxes with 3 test kits in. one does nitrite and the other does ph and alkalinity. do i need any more.

You do indeed: ammonia, nitrate

iv got a hydrometer but have no idea what it does yet. is that to measure the salt? what does the refractometer do?

Ditch the hydrometer and get yourself the salties toy, a refractometer - you will need it to check the sg of your water

was just thinking about what fish im gonna put in there. would like a pair of clowns,

Its got to be done, buy two small juvies so you can watch one turn into the female :good:

a few chromis and maybe a tang. from what im reading tangs need a bigger tank. are there any smaller species of tang that would be happy in my tank?

I'm afraid not, even the smallest tang needs approx 75 gallons. I would also forget the chromis,you need at least five to stop aggression (they kill the weakest)

what about boxfish and triggers? could they go in there?

I'm afraid not

Seffie x

the hydrometer has a suction cup on it to attach to the glass, is it not worth keeping it in to monitor salt levels while the tank establishes itself or is the refractometer just as easy?

i didnt know the clowns decided their sex, should be interesting.

sounds like im pretty limited to the fish that i can have. any suggestions on possible tank mates and how many of the smaller fish it would be safe to stock?

what test kits do you recommend? iv still got around 15 tetra test strips for the NO2 and NO3 would they do or does it need to be more accurate?

Unless lab grade, hydrometers are pretty unreliable!

To be honest if it was me I would probably try the Ammonia test you have, although they may not work accuratly in salt water, But you will need a reliable Nitrate test kit like salifert

There are lots of fish you can keep in your tank :good: Go take a look at the fish of the week threads for some ideas, but to start you off:

• Fairy wrasse
  • flasher wrasse
  • orchid dottyback
  • bi colour blenny
  • Yellow watchman goby
  • one of the smaller angels if you are happy to accept that it might coral nip
  • Hawk - if you are happy to lose your inverts (its worth it to me, the scarlet is gorgeous - I just now buy only large Inverts)

Oh I could go on and on, but I wont :p

Seffie x

for fish you could have there are a few.
dart fish?
a coral beauty or other small angels?
royal gramma?
reef safe wrasse
blennys?

there are lots more but thats just a few.

the hawk looks really nice, quite like grammas and dart fish and the blennys look interesting althought theyr not the best looking fish.

the lfs has a huge selection of fish and corals, seen most of these fish in there so should be ok when it comes to choosing

what do you think of this refractometer?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fish-Aquarium-0-10-Saltwater-Salinity-Refractometer-UK-/260651949936?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish#ht_7013wt_989

is this no3 test kit any good? you get 90 tests instead of the 60 in the salifert kit and its cheaper too?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/API-NITRATE-NO3-TEST-KIT-AQUARIUM-SALT-FRESH-90-TESTS-/220653070045?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish#ht_973wt_930

as the costs are increasing more than expected i thoughd id try and save a bit on the powerhead. was looking at a koralia 2 orginally for £30 new but spotted this similar looking one for half the price. are they anygood or should i just pay the extra and get the koralia?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3000L-H-Marine-Wave-Maker-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Powerhead-/400115645296?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish#ht_2718wt_754

api are not that good test kits.

salifert it is then.

would the refractometer and the powerhead be ok?

iv been reading up on sumps and was wondering if i should make one? id make it to fit the top shelf of the cabinet as the cabinets pretty small. id have to drill the tank 3/4 across as it has overhang on the unit. would probs then run a couple of 90 bends to get the overflow pipe into corner. are they really worth doing in a smaller tank? i know i could hide the heater and skimmer in there but are there any other worthwhile benefits?

i have sump on mine :good:
i think it would be better to use the whole cabinet. i wouldnt put a sump on a shelf ether.
i have a refugiam in mine as well as hiding my skimmer.
its worth it on a smaller tank because you have the added volume.
you get better gas exchange as well.
also you can do less water changes (but i have kept the same amount of water changes since i first got the tank).
you get extra flow as well and my toadstool loves it he next to the powerhead and my return pipe

The refractometer and powerhead are fine - several people on here have bought the cheap one and it is ok, however, I would buy the koralia, quiter and cheap to run

SEffie x

i have sump on mine :good:
i think it would be better to use the whole cabinet. i wouldnt put a sump on a shelf ether.
i have a refugiam in mine as well as hiding my skimmer.
its worth it on a smaller tank because you have the added volume.
you get better gas exchange as well.
also you can do less water changes (but i have kept the same amount of water changes since i first got the tank).
you get extra flow as well and my toadstool loves it he next to the powerhead and my return pipe
yeah i remember seeing it in your journal. think im gonna try and do one like this with a refugiam but downscale it to fit the tank. cuts out the need for the canister filter then too. ill just put the car bon and phos remover in the inlet section with the skimmer pump and heater at the outlet section.

http://www.raysreef.ca/?m=200901

never thought of the weight issue on the shelf, that could be messy especially with the plugs underneath.

The refractometer and powerhead are fine - several people on here have bought the cheap one and it is ok, however, I would buy the koralia, quiter and cheap to run

SEffie x

i think if the powerhead was noisy it would irritate me so koralia it is.

back from my short break away so time to make some more progress on the tank. bought a 32mm diamond drill bit today to drill the tank. not sure whether to drill the tank 3/4 across on the bottom or drill the back of the tank higher up. would the tank be structurally sound if the hole is more towards the middle rather than in the corner?

was also looking at my options for the sump. i was gonna make my own but found this in pets at home and its the perfect size for the bottom of the cabinet, almost made to measure. £20 with a hood.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/aquarium-18x10x10-inches-with-plastic-hood-by-clearseal-standard-(available-in-store-only)-36855

not sure about a return pump either. any suggestions? what do you use harry?

i got a maxi jet 1200 :good:

just bought a maxijet 1200 today :good: , the diamond drill bit also turned up.

bought the tank from pets at home yesterday for the sump/refug and the sealant from the LFS. the pipework has been ordered and will be here tomorrow. should hopefully get the tank painted, drilled and plumbed this weekend. :D pics to follow.

deltec refractometer on the way :)

the wifes been having a winge at how much this is costing. think i greatly underestimated the costs involved. anyway heres a rough list so far:

Marine starter kit £40
V2 nano skimmer £30
2x 600lph powerheads £15
maxijet 1200lph powerhead £20
Rena Smart heater £25
Hagen glo T5 kit £35
Deltec refractometer £20
Sump tank £20
Sealer £6
1m Mylar £3
Phos remover £7
Carbon £3
Glass paint £8
Drill Bit £6
black pipework £5
Eheim professional canister filter (swapped for the juwel filter, rocks and a couple of fish)

still got the koralia 2 to buy for £30 and the salifert test kit for £10.

not very cheap to get set up but im sure it will be worth it

Most reactions

Back