George's Journal

I would either find some protruding bits of bogwood and cover them with moss, so they jut out towards you (replacing the sag) or carry on with anubias across the left hand side also.

That is an excellent idea. I can just imagine it, three or four bigger bits of the wood (replacing the sag) jutting out in several directions. That would look awesome IMO.

Great feedback guys, thanks.

Unfortunately the glosso will need to be ripped up and re-planted soon, the underlayers are clearly dying off and I don't want to pollute the tank and cause a possible algae bloom.

The stems do look odd, I'll give them a few weeks and see how they look once they filled and bushed out a little more, but I'll lose or change them eventually I'm sure. I'm pretty certain it's Mayaca fluviatilis now (nice one Antonet!) - link. I'm thinking that Micranthemum umbrosum might look good instead.

I agree with replacing the sag to the left, it's actually not doing too well now because the fern and Crinum are shading it too much. I like Jimbooo's original idea of more Anubias, perhaps a larger species and I also like the more wood idea. Plenty of food for thought.

I'll be doing a major maintenance session over the holiday, re-planting all the glosso and sag. Pruning back the fern a fair bit too. I'm very tempted to move the fern to the right to block the filter. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again guys.

I'm pretty certain it's Mayaca fluviatilis now (nice one Antonet!) - link. I'm thinking that Micranthemum umbrosum might look good instead.
:fun: :D
Not sure if my tank wasn't "balanced" enough, but it just didn't do well in my tank. It became long(er) and straggly and just didn't "look" nice. And so fine and feathery and don't think they appreciated the current of my 2213 Eheim.

Looking forward to seeing all the changes soon ! That glosso has become mighty dense indeed ....

If you are going to replace the sag, gf.....you might consider this anubias - Anubias barteri var. nana 'Petite'
I got some last weekend attached to a coconut shell from Tropica. It stays really small, a miniature version of Barteri (as the name would suggest).
It would look great attached to some suitably small bogwood under the fern and it would continue the line of the larger anubias nicely.
I'm undecided on the Rotala or whatever it is, i think it's the texture that doesn't work for me but the tank still looks amazing.
Good work and good luck with replanting all that glosso....rather you than me!

I would either find some protruding bits of bogwood and cover them with moss, so they jut out towards you (replacing the sag) or carry on with anubias across the left hand side also.

That is an excellent idea. I can just imagine it, three or four bigger bits of the wood (replacing the sag) jutting out in several directions. That would look awesome IMO.

I think the idea is to create something like an upturned nest of roots covered in moss, I think it would really tie stuff together. George we both think you should do this now :) get cracking mate...

I think the idea is to create something like an upturned nest of roots covered in moss, I think it would really tie stuff together.
I wholeheartedly agree mate.

Long-term I would like to move the fern more centrally to start the basis of a mound compostion. Any Nature Aquarium fan knows that this is the most challenging of scapes to implement successfully. Thankfully my Juwel Rio 125 tank has suitable dimensions with its 32" length and 20" height.

I would cut down the wood that is attached to the fern to a bare minimum, just enough to keep the fern secure. Then buy a new piece of wood i.e. (ignore the plants, I'm just after the wood).

The fern would sit in the center of the (preferbly Willow) moss covered wood. Anubias (petite as Andy says) would be planted all around the base, possible with some small slate to act as a shoreline, maybe with some hairgrass or similar highlights then a carpet of HC. That's got to be a winner eh?

Not until next summer though.

Wow! It doesn't look too good now, but it should look better soon. It may just be the areas I've experienced nature in, but too me an overgrown tank seems to be more natural than any of Takashi Amano's tanks. I'm going for a natural look in my 10 gallon tank, and I allow the plants to do almost whatever they want; including lots of stuff that goes against some of the common design principles of nature aquariums, like allowing stem plants to grow up to the front glass, not using short foreground plants and not using rocks. Personally, I think there's something to be said for an aquascape with nothing but plants and wood on gravel or sand; it looks VERY natural in my opinon.

Takashi Amano's tanks seem more like paintings than nature to me. I'd take a tank completely full to the brim with plants and a population of guppies living and breeding in the tank over a carefully maintained aquascape with Discus. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to own a natural discus tank with nothing but a single pair of Discus, but I'd like to see the full spectrum of fish and plant life in my aquarium.

I also don't trim dead leaves unless I have a nutrient problem; it saves a huge amount of time and adds to the natural appearence of the tank. I do remove them from the top once they've detatched, however.

I may try some limited aquascaping once my 70 gallon tank is set up; I plan to plant the back 3-4" of the tank with a solid wall of Vallisinarea, broken up by a large clump of some kind of red stem plant like Rotala. The sides of the tank will be fully planted, with plants like pennywort, anubais and Java Fern. If I use a carpet plant it will be Water Sprite and allowed to grow to about 8-10".
Well, I am a bit late but I agree. I love my tank that is a wild overgrowth of plants on 1/3 and very bare of plants on the other 2/3. The bare part has a very strong current and the planted part is "protected" by a barrier of rock and bogwood, very natural looking...

I think the idea is to create something like an upturned nest of roots covered in moss, I think it would really tie stuff together.
I wholeheartedly agree mate.

Long-term I would like to move the fern more centrally to start the basis of a mound compostion. Any Nature Aquarium fan knows that this is the most challenging of scapes to implement successfully. Thankfully my Juwel Rio 125 tank has suitable dimensions with its 32" length and 20" height.

I would cut down the wood that is attached to the fern to a bare minimum, just enough to keep the fern secure. Then buy a new piece of wood i.e. (ignore the plants, I'm just after the wood).

The fern would sit in the center of the (preferbly Willow) moss covered wood. Anubias (petite as Andy says) would be planted all around the base, possible with some small slate to act as a shoreline, maybe with some hairgrass or similar highlights then a carpet of HC. That's got to be a winner eh?

Not until next summer though.

Sounds like an excellent idea sir, go for it.

You know anything you want to try you're going to have our support (unless that meant pulling out all the live and replacing with plastic)

I love the idea of mossing up some wood... I have been toying with the same idea. It should look brilliant in your tank.

I like the sound of that can't wait to see the progress.

Your right about the java fern, its looking a litle big, and is starting to make your tank look smaller than it is, and i was never a fan of the glosso it just didnt work, glad you come to your sence's mate.

Good luck

I like the sound of that can't wait to see the progress.

Your right about the java fern, its looking a litle big, and is starting to make your tank look smaller than it is, and i was never a fan of the glosso it just didnt work, glad you come to your sence's mate.

Good luck

I'm not overhauling just yet Simon.

I'm replanting the glosso and intend keeping it until I'm out of the country for a few months (Apr-Aug 06). I still really like it actually, it is just a little invasive for the long-term ease of maintenance. I respect your opinion though, if you don't think it works then so be it, one cannot argue taste after all.

And it's "senses" BTW ;) . Merry Christmas!

hey gf225, I was just looking through this post, and saw how brilliantly planted your tank is. I want to plant my 90 gallon with these plants, but I would like to know a list of what I need. I know it says its an easy to take care plant package, so does this mean I can put them in a cycled tank with fertilized substrate, with a light and then let them grow, or is it more complicated? Jen has helped me alot so I give thx to Jen, but I would like a second opinion. Sorry if im spamming your thread, but I would love your opinion as you seem to know what you are doing.

Thnaks
Adam

Most reactions

Back