From The Bay To The Reef

DS look on aquarist classified (I belive that's the name) or the sun local classified for reefer tank breaks.
I got 30kg of LR for £90 of a local and saved a bundle.

Placement of powerheads,

What's the consensus?

Could I get away with placing them on the back wall rather than on the glass?

DS

Yes, place on the back wall so that the flow bounces back towards the rock or put on the side and aim across the middle

Seffie x
ps be careful with AC - never pay up front, always pay cash on collection :good:

I've got a lot of particles suspended in my tank - I'm not sure the filtration is working well enough/configured correctly.

The tank just has salt water in at the moment. It's got the 2 powerheads running, the protein skimmer is installed in chamber 1, but not switched on.
In chamber 2 there's nothing in here as of yet. In 3 I've got filter wool and my heater and in 4 I've got my return pump and UV.

The return pump is at the bottom of 4 with a green hose upto the spray bar.

(All the grates are open)

It just doesn't look as if it doing the job.

Can anyone advise? ta.

DS

Could be a couple of things but firstly, don't panic, this happened to me with my tank as well :good:

1) salt has not yet dissolved
2) tank is not up to temp. about 27 degrees so its taking longer for salt to disolve
3) you have put to much salt in (precipitation) and your water cant absorb any more

Let us know if it could be any of the above

Seffie x

It's weird because temp is at 26, sg is 1.025.

Seffie do you know what the water flow is in the chambers.

I know it's right to left

chamber 1 down, chammber 2 up?

What are the grates for?

DS

I didnt have grates on mine and in the newer tanks they dont have them, so I would close them :good: my siter, Trod had the same tank as you and closed them as well.

My bet is precipitation - do you have any carbon filter or the like, thats what I had to do :good:

Seffie x

or, your salt wasnt damp when you put it in was it?

Salt was fine,

activated carbon, or just some carbon pad? Where to put it?

Do you know where does the water enter the chambers from the main tank? Is it through top of chamber 1 (The grill bit)?

Salt was fine,

activated carbon, or just some carbon pad? Where to put it?

nah, just anything that will filter out the fine particals - put in weir one, the one with the grill on the top

Do you know where does the water enter the chambers from the main tank? Is it through top of chamber 1 (The grill bit)?

yes, thats right

Seffie x

Sorry for all the Q's! Seffie - you're too patient!

I've got a powerhead situated on the top right rear near the grill pointing towards the front left corner.

Do you think it's preventing some of the particles from entering the chamber?

First go...

Picture001.jpg

more rock? re-arrange? higher?

Most reactions

Back