Fish 'Shed' Is under construction!!

weight was a bit of a worry for me - I'm not having loads of tanks in there but there will be about a ton (metric) all at one end. the floor is 28mm chipmoard with 3X2" bearers at 400mm centres - its had 4 of us jumping on it without in flintching :)

Its a lot stronger and better built than a wooden pallet - and they support a ton of bricks with ease. (that was my dads logic)

so far hours wise its taken...

Aug 7th
- 2 men, 1 full day - 28hours (less lunch)
Aug 8th
- 2 men, 1 evening - 8hours
Aug 9th
- 1 man, 1 day (taking it easy) - 4hours
- 2 men 1 evening - 6hours
Aug 15th
- 2 men 1 evening - 8 hours
Aug 21st
- 1 man (dad while I was away!) - 6hours

so at the moment it stands at about 56 man hours.

The tanks will be on wodden stands (as I can get it easily) I'll be running bearers along the floor with the frame work on it just to help spread the weight but dont see a there being a problem :)

I'll be running bearers along the floor with the frame work on it just to help spread the weight but dont see a there being a problem

I think it will be fine with these running across the main joists. I think the only problem arising would be if you had just the foot of a stand on the one spot with no direct support underneath.

What type of racking do you intend to use for your tanks? Timber or steel?

Twas a bit of a silly question I suppose with all that surplus timber about. Tee Hee. :shifty:

Its looking good so far whens the electrics going in?

The floor should be fine if you make your tank stands to dispers the weight, like a box frame, if your planning to use a table like construction you might have to lay ply wood the other way to add strenth to the floor, to stop the feet from punching through, chipborad can be a bugger if it gets wet.

It's looking nice. I wish my dad even remotely cared about my fish keeping hobby...

wow makes me wish we are moved down to the lake, so i could get cracking with our fish room, ours is a porta cabin, it has a seperate kitchen bit to keep food and nets and stuff, then the main room what is going to house the tanks and the tropical pond for the large catfish! i cant wait i want to be there now!!!

Clare

That really does look good, you and your dad have done a great job.

You can see how much money there is in contractors for house building, if they are prepared to let you have all those materials. Down here we are building a school and the budget is so tight you are lucky if there are any nails left, let alone what looks like Kingspan compacted polystyrene insulation!

A couple of things to add. I would seriously reccomend some form of ventilation if you have used plasterboard. The rel humidity in the air will either cause the board to warp or worse cause and internal failure which you may not see until you point load (i.e fix something to it). Removing the moisture may help prevent this.

In addition, as has been mentioned, plastboard is suseptable to fungal infections - treat the board with an oil based, fungicide sealer/paint, it will stop any unsightly growths! I know you have done it, but WBP ply would work too.

Well done though - looking forward to seeing pics of how you'll fit all the tanks in!

Hi smithrc,

Have you progressed any further? How are you intending to heat the room? What type of heater? Or are you heating all of the tanks in there?

I currently use a heater in every other tank in my rows that are close to each other. This keeps the water to a reasonable temperature. A couple of my tanks around the top of the room have no heat at all as I rely on rising heat from the other tanks. In the winter I use a tube heater on a timer for a few hours in the night (like people use in greenhouses).

A few friends of mine tell me that the greater the volume of tanks in the fish house the more economical it becomes to run. They tell me that the water holds heat better than air. This does seem to actually work..... although it is also a damn good excuse to get even more tanks.

need to get off my backside and get on it... - still waiting for the roof to be done (the roofer is a busy mad in this weather) but its no excuse - i could still be working on it :whistle:

I'm at the same stage. The mercy of the roofer!

I just wish it wouldnt keep raining as it fills my base full of water.

I hope to get some pics over the next day or so.

all my excuses are used up now... We have a roof :) :)

looks like this weekend will be spent boarding and wiring :)

I am pleased to say my roofer will be coming this weekend so it will be a constructive weekend for sure.

All the materials are ordered including the upvc cladding for the exterior. The patio door frame is in too so i'm hoping by sunday night all will be completed to keep the weather out.

What did you decide on with the boarding? I was going to leave mine finished in the foil faced insulation stuff (can't remember the name of the stuff again).
I think there may be a rethink on this as I hear it is extremely expensive. I would require 13 8x4 sheets of the stuff!

I have been told of the thinner stuff you can get in a roll which is the same in value as 2" of polystyrene. Although i am told it would be necessary to overboard it after.

Hmmm.... decisions, decisions.

fishman 1 said:
What did you decide on with the boarding? I was going to leave mine finished in the foil faced insulation stuff (can't remember the name of the stuff again).
I think there may be a rethink on this as I hear it is extremely expensive. I would require 13 8x4 sheets of the stuff!
[snapback]900134[/snapback]​

We've used Kingspan (AKA Celotex) its not a neat finish to leave visable :(

and as you say - its expensive - Travis perkins sell it at £55 a sheet (8x4') retail.
and adout £30 a sheet to trade.

10 sheets have gone into ours (the floor has been done too). Its 3x as good as polystieren though.

Clean forgot that this weekend is a bit of a non event shed wise... Its my STAG DO !!!! :cool: :sick:

How can you consider spending money on a wedding when you have a fish room to finish ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Shame on you!

:rofl:

Enjoy the do, :- don't get handcuffed to a lamp post, and congratulations!!!

Most reactions

Back